Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by HIT0SHI View Post
    I thought this was the PSU thread, not PSP >.>
    They both take place in the same "universe," so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    They both take place in the same "universe," so to speak.
    Yes but its a different game and its a sequel (from what I know).
    But hey, it doesn't matter. :3

Quote Originally Posted by .Rusty. View Post
    Speaking of which most of the voice acting is kinda crap so I would not think twice about locking most of the cast in a room full of angry jarbas.
    I wouldn't take it out on the VA's. Most of them were actually quite decent, especially when compared to what you find in other JRPGs like Arc Rise Fantasia and Star Ocean. It seems to me that most of the issue with the VAs was due to a lack of direction, lack of character motivation, and an inability for the localization team to "modify" the game in order to better parse out dialog and provide proper lip synching.

If you play the game more than once, you'll notice that on your second playthrough the "Next Chapter Previews" are replaced by a placeholder while the characters voices played a comedy bit in the background. They had a lot of fun with these comedy bits, and you can tell (I think) the quality of the VA work goes up substantially.

Also Brian Sommer, the guy who did the voice work for Magashi, stopped by the forums shortly after the game launched and in one of his posts he pretty much confirmed what I had suspected.

It is much more important to know WHY your character is saying something, than HOW he is saying it. The characters voice is hallow if there is no reasoning for him to be saying what he is saying. I remember the Bio that came with Magashi's audition material was fairly brief. I think they wanted him to be simply cold and calculating. So there was not much added to the characters background. They wanted him to be a single-mindedly, tactically driven bad ass. His focuse was to complete the task at hand, and then get on to the next one, by using whatever means. ~ Brian Sommer
    Last edited by Sinue_v2; Nov 2, 2012 at 12:38 AM.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

Holtes City, Parum... I mean... Green Bay, Wisconsin... Ugh...

Oh man, I had the craziest dream that I went nuts after Rusty mentioned Jarbas and I ended up freaking out and running head first into a wall.
    I'm back y'all!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinue_v2 View Post
    I wouldn't take it out on the VA's. Most of them were actually quite decent, especially when compared to what you find in other JRPGs like Arc Rise Fantasia and Star Ocean. It seems to me that most of the issue with the VAs was due to a lack of direction, lack of character motivation, and an inability for the localization team to "modify" the game in order to better parse out dialog and provide proper lip synching.

If you play the game more than once, you'll notice that on your second playthrough the "Next Chapter Previews" are replaced by a placeholder while the characters voices played a comedy bit in the background. They had a lot of fun with these comedy bits, and you can tell (I think) the quality of the VA work goes up substantially.

Also Brian Sommer, the guy who did the voice work for Magashi, stopped by the forums shortly after the game launched and in one of his posts he pretty much confirmed what I had suspected.
    Yeah I figured that stuff played a part in it. That and a lot of games have the voce acting recorded before the cutscenes are finished.

I liked Karen a lot. She was much more female and human (although a newman) than most characters because she was always searching for identity. She represented the idea of how a second generation female lives in that universe. Whereas a lot of characters were first generation, she kept evolving.

Japanese love creating different worlds in their Universes and stories, but those attuned to anime, manga, video games will find that most characters are first generation or native in those worlds. In other words, characters who are born in one planet and live in the planet and represent such world.

We don't see a lot of characters who are born in one world, but really live and have children in another world. However, in American and European stories, exist a lot of characters who are second and third generation.

Karen was amazing at representing the second generation. I felt closer to the character because to be a newman is to be a second generation outright, even if they have an entire planet, but still Karen was the special case and also addressed the idea of family because of her sister.

My least favorite characters are those who are either arc-developed or underdeveloped.

Arc-Development are character who they develop but that accounts to character who change their clothes and carry some new weapon, are older but still generally act the same. In short, many chapters, many forms, still the same personality.

I also do not like it when characters are made as fan-service to one audience and really do not fit anything else. These character have a small or minor development and are hardly used.

As far as "Player Characters" go, I love the characters who show personality in their combat style but clothes as well. Sometimes the personality of the actual player helps or destroys the character, but there were several strong characters as player characters in the asthetic that I really enjoyed and others I truly despised.
    PSO-2 Info: Ship: 2; ID: セツナヤキ; MCN: ケイリン
    "If you want a bridge between past, present, and future, search for the void and awaken it!"

Holtes City, Parum... I mean... Green Bay, Wisconsin... Ugh...

I like you Keilyn
    I'm back y'all!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinue_v2 View Post
    WHY DID NOBODY TOLD ME ABOUT THIS? D:

Oh, and for the topic...

Favorites:

-Hamvolt Magashi. The fight against 3 of him when I first played PSU was made glorious by his overacting.

-Karl Hamzer, for the same reason to Magashi. "You're too SLOW!"

-Laia. Maybe it's because ladies like her don't usually take the spotlight in JRPGs, I dunno.

Least favorite:

-Hiru Vol. His hair is an ass.
    Last edited by Mega Ultra Chicken; Nov 24, 2012 at 07:43 PM.

Favorite: Renvolt Magashi or Bruce
    Least: Ethan, Laia, and the Vol brother with the pink ass shaped hair

I'm fairly certain I managed to get Bruce's card before my XBOX died. My favorite would have to be the late President Dallgun