I'm now really getting pissed at my cell phone company. If I get a discounted new phone, I'll lose unlimited data and go to 1GB ($15/GB over 1GB) or pay $10 more for 2GB, and I'll pay $6 more per month. I would get unlimited calling, but my current plan has 450 minutes plus unlimited in network and unlimited nights & weekend, and even going over 60mins/month is a rarity. The only way to stay "grandfathered" into this plan is to buy a phone at full retail.

This company also does not allow wifi calling over UMA/GAN.

My contract is up at the end of February.

Do I wait and switch, do I buy for full retail price (~$700 for the one I want), or downgrade my plan and pay the $6/month extra and get the discounted phone?

Google has the Android Nexus 4 for sale. It only works with 2 US providers, and worst of all (for me), only has 16GB maximum storage, with no SD card slot. I keep 10GB of music on my phone's SD card. Never mind apps, other files, cached maps areas, and of course the memory that is taken away due to the operating system, essential programs, and the advertising of bits/bytes issue. The Nexus also will not offer UMA/GAN calling even on the one network that offers it.

Why does only 1 US mobile phone company offer any UMA/GAN calling? I'd think it would be a great service to customers to let them get potentially better reception. Go ahead, deduct the minutes as if we were on a tower, just let us use the reliability of a connection point 10 feet away.