Default Barba Ray on Ultimate

I recently got back into PSO after a long, long hiatus and now that I finally got to Ultimate I'm having a ridiculous amount of trouble staying alive against Barba Ray. It's both infuriating and baffling because I don't remember ever having this problem before.

Basically, if one of his little Pig Ray things hits me, I'm as good as dead. It doesn't knock me down, just stops me in my tracks, allowing the following ones to rush my ass and after 4 or 5 hits I'm dead. Once in a while I can get a healing item between the hits, but most of the time I'm instantly dead with one little mistake like that. It's incredibly frustrating since I can never go to actually hit Barba Ray unless I'm absolutely sure they won't pop up, cause if I'm in the middle of attacking when they do then I'm dead for sure.

And I don't remember having this problem in any of my previous playthroughs so I don't know what gives. I'm a Lvl. 92 HUcaseal playing on Offline/One Person mode. I've tried all sorts of combinations to see what works best, including decreasing my DEF a lot in hopes the first Pig Ray will just knock me down, but no matter they always kill my ass if I slip up for one second at all.

So yeah, any advice? Equips to prevent their attacks? Anything? Please, he's killed me like 10 times in a row now and it's driving me insane. And please don't just say "Dodge al the Pig Rays". I've managed to do that 2 or 3 times, but it's like 1 in 10 tries. I need something better than that.

Besides timing your moves & getting better equipment, more healing items & scapedolls, you should lv up some more to face the challenge. A few levels more & things could be more bearable.
    Blink & you might miss it! ;3

Oh, keep sig at 600x180 px & 49KB, yah?

Yeah I kind of already lost all the Scape Dolls I had in the few successful tries I managed.

Guess I'll just level up some more first. I just wanted to beat him early on in Ultimate because I want a Twin Brand ASAP, but oh well.

What weapons are you using?

Norco   Prins Erik    RA-421

HUcaseal is a tough one to get him early. You can't use many good range weapons and you can't use any force powers, so you're stuck with melee.
    I'd recommend waiting until level 95+ to take him on.

What are your equips?
    Weapon
    Armor + Slots

Also, what kind of mag are you running?

Also, are you playing on BB and if so, do you have a controller? Being able to quickly swap to a handgun while he's out of melee range is a great idea.
    Last edited by FOODFOOD; Nov 23, 2012 at 12:11 PM.

The weapon types I highly recommend are slicers and sword. Reason being that they hit several parts and quickly add up to A LOT of damage

Norco   Prins Erik    RA-421

Sounds to me like you have too many Hit Points. The piglets cannot knock you down but still inflict a good deal of damage, right?
    Timing a slicer attack (with a very strong slicer) can be helpful, too, but you probably don't have that in your equipment yet.
    There is a way to avoid all the small fry, but the timing to start running is quite tight. Plus on some occasions you won't be able to avoid them anyway (the 2 waves before Barba Ray uses the laser).
    As a kind of general pointer, when you know the piglets are going to come, try to be in the bottom corner of the raft and time a slicer combo - or any kind of multi target that might kill them. Use that same multi-target weapon to hit Barba Ray. I used a Jellen S-rank Slicer and then either diska of liberator (very dangerous since berserk leaves you with low HP) or Rainbow Cutter with mad percents. (I had a good one)
    Good luck, and try, try, try...
    Last edited by Saffran; Nov 25, 2012 at 04:16 PM.
    Oserez-vous percer le mystère de la malédiction ?
    www.hinamizawa.fr