Default Do I need a graphics card with more ram? Pausing/studdering graphics in the lobby.

I built a system using a Radeon HD 7770 GPU with 1 GB ram last week, and while gameplay during quests is fantastic no matter how much crazy shit is going on the screen at the same time, I noticed that in the lobby the screen pauses momentarily at times as if the GPU needs to "catch up". It's not like typical low-framerate, I know what that looks like. That and it only shows the generic rendering of the characters in the lobby until I get close up. It's not really a problem on the blocks that are usually empty during the middle of the night in Japan, but it trips up quite a bit on block 20, particularly after the big December update. Actually now that I think about it I even noticed it on blocks with only a handful of players after the latest patch.

I notice it even if I don't have any characters on the screen at the moment. I could be climbing the stairs, basically looking at nothing but the stairs and it studders. I want to say that the GPU doesn't have enough ram, but I'm not sure, I've heard that 1GB should be enough. The GPU is still within the return period, and I don't mind spending the extra $40 or so to get a different one with 2 GB. Or is this a problem that everyone's having regardless of GPU?

Even on my laptop which has an Intel HD 3000 GPU with 128mb of ram I never noticed this much pausing/studdering on block 20.

Anyone got any ideas?

edit: Oh and I'm only running at 720p resolution.
    Last edited by domokun1134; Dec 6, 2012 at 12:26 AM.

Destructive by nature. Link1275's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by domokun1134 View Post
    I built a system using a Radeon HD 7770 GPU with 1 GB ram last week, and while gameplay during quests is fantastic no matter how much crazy shit is going on the screen at the same time, I noticed that in the lobby the screen pauses momentarily at times as if the GPU needs to "catch up". It's not like typical low-framerate, I know what that looks like. That and it only shows the generic rendering of the characters in the lobby until I get close up. It's not really a problem on the blocks that are usually empty during the middle of the night in Japan, but it trips up quite a bit on block 20, particularly after the big December update. Actually now that I think about it I even noticed it on blocks with only a handful of players after the latest patch.

I notice it even if I don't have any characters on the screen at the moment. I could be climbing the stairs, basically looking at nothing but the stairs and it studders. I want to say that the GPU doesn't have enough ram, but I'm not sure, I've heard that 1GB should be enough. The GPU is still within the return period, and I don't mind spending the extra $40 or so to get a different one with 2 GB. Or is this a problem that everyone's having regardless of GPU?

Even on my laptop which has an Intel HD 3000 GPU with 128mb of ram I never noticed this much pausing/studdering on block 20.

Anyone got any ideas?

edit: Oh and I'm only running at 720p resolution.
    There is a camera bug, and no matter how well your computer runs, you will still get connection lag in the lobby from time to time.

This doesn't sound like a GPU problem at all. And, yeah, 1GB should be enough for PSO2.

This problem, to me, sounds like a hard disk activity problem.

The game is stuttering because it's going back to the hard drive to load skins and character information to display.

This problem could probably be remedied by increasing the amount of system RAM, not GPU RAM and MAYBE defragmenting your hard drive.

A lack of system RAM can cause the game to dip into the Windows swap file from time to time.

How much system RAM do you have, by the way? (This is different than GPU RAM or hard drive space.)

Also, how many RPM is your hard drive?
    Creator of Tethealla, Administrator of Ephinea.

I'm using a SSD and I have 8GB of ram. I'm thinking this is a problem with the recent patch because I really don't remember noticing any of this before it, even on my laptop.

Been having a similar issue since before the patch. I have 8GB(4 2GB) of RAM, an AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GPU, and my HDD is 7200RPM and at 0% fragmentation according to the Windows Defrag tool.

Memory size on your GPU is only relevant to the size of your display.

Pixel width x Pixel height = How much memory your card should at least have

i.e.

720p means 1280 x 720 display

1280 x 720 = 921,600 pixels

If your card has at least 1 GB, then switching to 2 GB wouldn't help you any. However, if PSO2 is a bandwidth hog, and the 2 GB version of your card has more memory bandwidth it could get rid of your problems.

IMHO, it sounds more like the server taking a long time to send the information to your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by domokun1134 View Post
    I'm using a SSD and I have 8GB of ram. I'm thinking this is a problem with the recent patch because I really don't remember noticing any of this before it, even on my laptop.
    It's either a driver issue or optimization issue. I'm barely maxing out 800mb on my 2GB 660 Ti. Check for a driver update or do some benchmarks to troubleshoot your stuttering.

Quote Originally Posted by thinktank001 View Post
    Memory size on your GPU is only relevant to the size of your display.

Pixel width x Pixel height = How much memory your card should at least have

i.e.

720p means 1280 x 720 display

1280 x 720 = 921,600 pixels
    ...Wrong, very wrong.

While VRAM is slightly effected by resolution VRAM usage relies largely on texture sizes, what you're calculating is pixel fill rate which has been irrelevant since around 2004.

As far as I can tell this is connection lag, not video lag or hard drive lag. I had the same issue while using wireless through two walls ~30ft away but once I was hardwired the problem went away.

Edit: I should mention my specs
    AMD Phenom IIx4 940 @3.6ghz
    GTX 570 OC ~900/1050mhz (Core/Vram clock)
    4gb DDR2 1066mhz
    PSO2 is on an SSD running nearly maxed at 1920x1080

It is very unlikely that it's your specs but it could be a driver problem if it's not connection problems.
    Last edited by fsdetained; Dec 8, 2012 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thinktank001 View Post
    IMHO, it sounds more like the server taking a long time to send the information to your computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by fsdetained View Post
    As far as I can tell this is connection lag, not video lag or hard drive lag. I had the same issue while using wireless through two walls ~30ft away but once I was hardwired the problem went away.

It is very unlikely that it's your specs but it could be a driver problem if it's not connection problems.
    Probably since i am suffering the same issue as well.