Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default A rumor about Nintendo buying Sega

The rage!

I was reading this guy's blog for a while until he posted this. Apparently, this... hip hop gamer was told at a press conference that Nintendo had taken an interest in buying Sega recently.

I doubt it will ever happen as Nintendo rarely buys a company out. Hell, I'm more worried about Disney buying them than Nintendo. Looking at Wreck-it-Ralph being in the new Transformed game, THAT worries me faaar too much.

What do you all think?

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

anybody could take care of SEGA better than SEGA at this point.

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

Yeesh, what a twist of fates.

Flying high in the sky with a fly in your eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Xevioso View Post
    The rage!

I was reading this guy's blog for a while until he posted this. Apparently, this... hip hop gamer was told at a press conference that Nintendo had taken an interest in buying Sega recently.

I doubt it will ever happen as Nintendo rarely buys a company out. Hell, I'm more worried about Disney buying them than Nintendo. Looking at Wreck-it-Ralph being in the new Transformed game, THAT worries me faaar too much.

What do you all think?
    Nintendo buying Sega rumors are so old it's not even funny. I remember hearing the first one back in 1990. The rumors have always been there and always will. Same as the rumors of M$ buying Sony.
    'All tales end in tragedy. Follow the hero long enough, you'll step across his corpse.'
    Survivor of TWO live Gwar performances.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Eastwood View Post
    anybody could take care of SEGA better than SEGA at this point.
    That's pretty much the truth of the matter.

I wouldn't be necessarily happy seeing Nintendo buy out Sega, but at this point there's really not much left of the old Sega that could be lost in the transaction anymore. It'd be nothing but a boon. Well, for everyone but Nintendo, at least. I remember back when these rumors started kicking around back after they pulled the Dreamcast and went 3rd party, and you could see how dumb of a move it would it have been just by watching the stock history over the course of the rumor. Sega's ticked upwards slightly, while Nintendo's stock dropped several points.

I still think that if anybody was going to buy Sega, it should have been Microsoft back in the early days of the Xbox's launch. They were more hungry then, and willing to let high profile 1st & 2nd parties (except Bungie) do more or less what they wanted - meanwhile maintaining a fairly decent level of polish and quality control. I think it would have been a really good move for both Sega & MS, and coming into the 360 generation, had they enough clout from helping to brand the Xbox, they would have had far more (I think) leverage to create the games they wanted compared to dealing with Sammy.

But Microsoft doesn't need them anymore. Nobody really needs them. They could go the way of Atari and the industry would hardly bat an eye at their passing. So I guess, yeah... granting for a moment the rumor would have any validity to it, I guess Nintendo would be the best choice right now. At the very least, they're looking to recapture a segment of the hardcore market and have an image of being the guys who made the games you grew up with as a kid. Not to mention they're one of the few companies out there that still promote quirky and original titles. Bringing Sega into the fold would only strengthen their nostalgia brand at this point - provided, of course, that they could pull back in some of their old talent and be given total fiduciary control over the company.
    Last edited by Sinue_v2; Dec 11, 2012 at 06:19 AM.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

Nintendo needs to hurry up and buy Rare back first.

Quote Originally Posted by Milla View Post
    Nintendo needs to hurry up and buy Rare back first.
    Pretty sure all the decent people at rare will have left by now :/

Quote Originally Posted by Sinue_v2 View Post
    Not to mention they're one of the few companies out there that still promote quirky and original titles. Bringing Sega into the fold would only strengthen their nostalgia brand at this point - provided, of course, that they could pull back in some of their old talent and be given total fiduciary control over the company.
    You aint kidding. I think I'd rather have Nintendo buy Sega, but I still have faith Sega will get things together again. Personally I feel they have been doing better lately then a few years ago.

This rumor goes as far back as when I was a little kid. Nintendo could probably do it and honestly it would improve Sega tenfold, but it just doesn't sound very Nintendo-like.

Man, I miss Rare's Donkey Kong Country days. Golden age.

I want Nexon to by Sega . :P