Thread: Public Opinion

Default Public Opinion

Hey guys,

I have a group of friends who I want to convince to make the switch to PSO2 JP. Here's a bit about us. We currently play a game called Vindictus, however we play the English version. The problem is, the support on that game is pretty poor and the servers are not as well maintained as we are used to. To be frank, the game is in bad shape.

I recently came across this game and it looks great and very similar. My few questions are as follows:

1. Is this game like Vindictus (for those who have played it)?
    2. Does any class in this game have a "counter attack"?
    3. How is the balance between range and melee? (Is range the only real option)
    4. How crippling is it that English Speakers will be trying to play a game where they can't read most things? (Even with limited Translation)
    5. Is the support for this game even good or can we expect poor server maintence?
    6. Since it might be difficult to spend money since we will be foreign, what would we be missing out on? (What's in the Cash Shop)
    7. Are missions hosted by players or the server?

I've done a bit of research on my own and while I've found some information (like where the English Community is for example) these types of questions only seem like they could be answered by people with first hand experience. Thanks for reading.

2. Hunters can Just Guard when using their class weapons. They do have a Just Counter skill but it's just a normal Just Attack out of Just Guard; Just Guard is already pretty easy to cancel with whatever you want as it is.
    3. Hunter/Fighter feel underwhelming in MPAs (12-man multi-party areas), but can output the highest damage on their own making them great for downing hefty targets. They shine a lot more in 4-player groups.
    4. At worst, you can't read item names but there's plenty of sites that have the translation for that item (plus, you can copy and paste directly in-game so searching experience is barely hindered). Find an english-speaking team or group of friends and most of the problems tend to go away.
    5. Regardless of the actual content, SoJ has been supplying a steady stream of updates every few weeks. They already have plans laid out for almost the entire year.
    6. AC is only difficult to buy the first time around (even easier if your card is supported by Sega) and simple every time after. But to answer the other part, you're missing out on buying extra characters, mags, Premium, MyShop, MyRoom (the previous and this included in Premium), and a number of scratches (gacha). You can live without most of it for a long time (I didn't buy AC until 650 hours in), but if you plan to play multiple classes, you need to buy extra Mags.
    7. Server, I'm pretty sure. You can look up ongoing missions players are doing at the quest counter.
    Last edited by MetalDude; Jan 9, 2013 at 06:29 PM.

Ill answer what i know, from my experience.

2) The only thing that i know of that could be considered a counter attack, are the hunter abilitys 'Just guard' and 'Just counter'. When you hit the guard button (Keyboard: shift) just before an attack lands, you block it completely (normally 25% damage gets through) and with just counter, your attack has increased damage just following the guard.

3) Both have upsides and downsides, its to my belief that its pretty balanced between range and melee - obviously each have perks in different situations. The melee classes have the most upfront damage, but with alot of people in a ranged heavy set-up, it can be annoying running into an entire spawn that dies when your finally in range, lol.

4) Its not that bad, imo, but then I've played it since beta.

5) Personally, I've had very little issues with the maintenance, the worst part is waiting a day to download the bigger patches.

6) The cash shop is optional, new skill trees/new mags/costumes (That you can buy with meseta from player shops, given you own enough)/cosmetic stuff - Player shops, your own 'room' and a premium pack with additional features.

7) Im pretty sure they host them on the server, but then im not 100% sure.

hope that helps
    Last edited by Dnd; Jan 9, 2013 at 06:38 PM.
    Pso2 - Ship2: Proud manager of team Celestial
    Quote Originally Posted by Azure Falcon View Post
    Loading tunnels have gone from 10-15 seconds down to 2-3 seconds and the normal lobby stuttering mess is buttery smooth currently.
    This must be some kind of glitch, I refuse to believe Sega have finally fixed this game's horrible performance problems.

I have a lvl 70 Lance & lvl 65 Evie, and a lvl 65 Fiona, and a lvl 35 Karok (for storage lol). This game has much more content than Vindictus, period.

Try this game, it won't disappoint ~

Quote Originally Posted by Akava View Post
    How is the balance between range and melee? (Is range the only real option)
    In multiparties, Force (mages) are king and melt enemies in seconds. Shooting classes aren't far behind, melee have trouble getting a hit in before anything not-bulky dies. That said, they have better mobility and good survival tools like Just Guard.

Not to say melee damage output sucks. Fighter's Deadly Archer is probably one of the most damaging moves in the game. You just won't always get to hit something outside of bosses and bulky enemies.

How crippling is it that English Speakers will be trying to play a game where they can't read most things? (Even with limited Translation)
    Between bumped, cirnopedia, google translating PSO2 JP wiki, and this forum you can get answers to most everything, English patch or not. It helps to have a katakana chart around to reason out the names of enemies and most items but it isn't 100% necessary. Just helpful.
    Is the support for this game even good or can we expect poor server maintence?
    Weekly maint unless there's a long holiday period like last Xmas+New Years.
    Since it might be difficult to spend money since we will be foreign, what would we be missing out on? (What's in the Cash Shop)
    *My opinion* Nothing necessary. Trading items is a premium only thing, but it's not too difficult to grind for money to buy the things you want. Player shops are also either a paid thing or you can randomly get a 3day pass. Most things obtainable with AC are for respeccing your character (extra skill trees, mags, re-edit character) or aesthetic stuff. The latter is sold on player shops.
    Are missions hosted by players or the server?
    Server.

Single party areas/quests can hold 4 people.
    Multiparty areas/quests can hold 12 people.
    None of these people have to be in the same party, or in any party at all. You just run around on the same random-generated maps together for a while.

Everyone gets their own loot and EXP, so there is no kill-stealing either.
    Last edited by Seravi Edalborez; Jan 9, 2013 at 06:48 PM.

HU-36 FI-48 RA-50 GU-50 FO-35 TE-36

Wow, thanks guys. Great answers and some links I had no idea about.

Appreciate it.