Question PSO2 Newbie seeking Tips+Tricks+Advise and suggestions.

Brand new PSO2 player here. Started the playing the game today, did the tutorial and a couple quests. I did some hunting around the forum and I didn't see any kind of a 'new player guide' or any sort of guide that offers general advice regarding what to do after you get the game installed and ready to go. So, I'm just going to ask some general questions about the game and what's the best way to get started. I did quite a few hours in PSO ep 1+2's offline mode so I understand what the general gist of the game's about. If there's any info that you think will be helpful to me as a new player please feel free to let me know. Thanks!

If there is some kind of a new player guide out there do point me in the right direction. It's possible that I may have missed it despite my best efforts, joined the forum today after all.

Anyways...

Here's some general character about me
    ---------------
    Character Name: Xaelon
    Starting Class: Hunter/Male (Humar?)
    Ship: 2
    Preferred input/play method: Xbox 360 controller (wired)

Questions I have:
    (I'll number these, that way if you want to answer without quoting the question you can use the shorthand of : A1:*Insert answer here*)

Q1: What's the a good way to find English players to play with?
    A: - Block 20
    - R81672

Q2: On the Hunter Skill Tree, I see "Gear" Skills. What do those do?
    Do they let me use a new weapon type? Increase the atk of that weapon type?
    Suggestions on skill build are also welcome.
    A: Directed -Here-
    - IndigoNovember

Q3: How's the class system work?
    The general gist that I get, is that there's main classes and sub classes. Is the main class' level tied to the level of your sub class like in FF11? (Sub class/job can only be half the level of the main class.)

A: All classes level up individually of each other. You gain access to Fighter, Gunner, and Techer after you have leveled up Hunter, Ranger, and Force to level 30 respectively. You can switch between them freely (you can go HU/RA or TE/GU or any other combination) and you get all of the skills from a subclass's skill tree as well as 20% of their stats and access to any Photon Arts or Techniques that the class has. The catch is that you cannot use the subclass's weapons unless they are special all class weapons.
    - IndigoNovember.

Q4: When should I start looking for groups?
    A: You might as well start right away. Having a good group of friends to play with makes the game a lot of fun and it also makes leveling more efficient.
    - IndigoNovember.

Q5: Item Guide/Item Icon key. Where can I find one?
    I'm not expecting one for equipment(though that would be nice, but I can make due with stats for now), just for consumables and what they do.
    A: http://cirnopedia.frostsabre.com/
    - R81672

Q6: "FUN" Currency. Should I save it or use it?
    Is this something they give out on a regular basis? Once per character/account?

A:You get fun once a day when you log in. you get fun every time you buy an AC item. you get fun every time you use a friend's partner NPC(once per day). you get Fun up to 10 times a day by sending people "good jobs" and you get fun my receiving good jobs. No need to save it.
    - SociableTyrannosaur

That's all I can think of for now. If I think of anything else, I'll add to the thread and bump if need be. I'll also take good answers and add them under the question, that way they're easy to find if anyone else decides to read this thread. Thanks in advance for your time.
    Last edited by Xaelon; Feb 25, 2013 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Updating w/answers.

Q1: What's the a good way to find English players to play with?
    - Block 20

Q2: On the Hunter Skill Tree, I see "Gear" Skills. What do those do?
    -When you get these gears in your skill tree, a gear bar will be unlocked when you use the respective weapon type.

Sword Gear: As you build up the gear the properties of your photon arts changes. You build up gear by attacking with your sword and lose it when you are not on the offensive. An example of some changes is reducing the charging time for chargeable PA's and changing sonic arrow hit multiple times instead of once.(Sonic arrow does more damage with gear)

Partisan Gear: You build up gear with partisan by spinning it with the block button or letting the spin animation happen after a normal attack. This gear increases the range of your PA's. Gear is depleted every time you use a PA for partisan gear.

Wired Lance Gear: Wired lance gear is filled up by attacking an enemy with normal attacks and is depleted when you use PAs. This gear strengthens the damage of wired lance PA's.

Q3: How's the class system work?

When you subclass you receive a fraction of the subs stats and it's skill tree is applied to the character as well. You can use sub classes at any level combination as long as you finish the subclass client order. Sub classes allow you to use the respective classes PA's but it does not let you use the sub classes weapons unless you are using an item labeled as "All Class".

Q5: Item Guide/Item Icon key. Where can I find one?

http://cirnopedia.frostsabre.com/
    Last edited by R81672; Feb 24, 2013 at 11:09 PM.

Edit: ninja'd

A1. Go to block 20.

A2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund View Post
    Q: What are the sword/wired lance/partisan gears?
    A: They add extra abilities to your weapon type, they all function by charging up a power bar. With a charged power bar, it unlocks an extra property to your weapon.
    • Sword:
      • Nova Strike and Rising Edge: Cuts down charging time from 5s to 1s
      • Sonic Arrow: Hits 1/2/3 times depending on the number of charges
      • Stun Coincide: Increases duration of the stun
      • Twister Fall: Increases shock wave count from 1 to 3
      • Cruel Throw: Increases raw damage

• Wired lance: Powers up the damage of your Photon Arts by 30%.

• Partisan: Increases the range of your Photon Arts
      • A comparison of the range increase can be found here
    A3. All classes level up individually of each other. You gain access to Fighter, Gunner, and Techer after you have leveled up Hunter, Ranger, and Force to level 30 respectively. You can switch between them freely (you can go HU/RA or TE/GU or any other combination) and you get all of the skills from a subclass's skill tree as well as 20% of their stats and access to any Photon Arts or Techniques that the class has. The catch is that you cannot use the subclass's weapons unless they are special all class weapons.

A4. You might as well start right away. Having a good group of friends to play with makes the game a lot of fun and it also makes leveling more efficient.

A5. http://cirnopedia.frostsabre.com/ <- This site has a bunch of translated stuff which includes items.

hi im new to pso2 as well my id is sinisterfx27 i need players as well im not sure how to search for players so help if can my psn is sinisterfx27 if on playstation

Please dont hijack threads. There's a player matchup forum for this

Added another question, regarding "FUN" currency. It's at the bottom of the thread's top post. I'll stick it in this post also.

Q6: "FUN" Currency. Should I save it or use it?
    Is this something they give out on a regular basis? Once per character/account?
    PSO2JP Characters | Xaelon (29 Fo/32 FI)
    "If you let your desires change you in this world, it will change who you are in the real world. The player and the in-game character are one and the same."
    ~ Kirito (Sword Art Online anime Ep.19)

You get fun once a day when you log in. you get fun every time you buy an AC item. you get fun every time you use a friend's partner NPC(once per day). you get Fun up to 10 times a day by sending people "good jobs" and you get fun my receiving good jobs.

you can also trade excubes for fun tickets.

No need to save it.

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

Look in to matterboards. These are how you unlock story missions. Before doing them, find the story translation patch so you understand what's going on. Matterboards are also easy ways to find adequate equipment for your level. Only worry about golden matterboard quests. You only need to do the normal quests if you're interested in any story it might provide (if applicable), if you're interested in finding that piece of equipment, if it's in the way to a quest you want, or if you want to 100% everything.

The best way to get experience is to do client orders which take place in a specific area, and grind that area in a multiparty. Doing one quest this way is as easy as doing ten, so you can almost double your experience by doing this. However, because all client orders need to be unlocked, this might only be useful on your second class. Note that some client orders can be done every day.

Don't be afraid to level multiple classes. You may need to buy multiple mags, but each class provides different insight to the combat of the game. I suggest leveling every class to 10, and soloing a rockbear, before choosing which one you want to focus on.

Grind your weapons and armor if you find good ones. You will get a huge boost when you do. You will need to balance this with how often you find good weapons though, and you will find many as you level. Perhaps, stick to 4-6* equipment to grind?

On that note, equipment is based on a star system. 1-3* are normal quality, and are easy to find. 3*s are high end equipment, 1* is low end. 4-6* is uncommon equipment. Not too hard to find, but you might not be able to find what you need before it becomes outdated. Note that on average, a 4-6* weapon is only better than a common item three rarity levels lower than it. 7-9*s are rares, which may or may not be any good. When leveling, most rares are actually weaker than anything else you will find. They're very easy to equip though, so they're good for leveling alternate classes. 10-12*s are the current best, and hardest to find equipment. Don't expect to find any before lv40.

Um, that's all I can think of. Good luck out there.