Page 1 of 25 123411 ... LastLast

Default PSO2 Chat Translator v1.8

PSO2 Chat Translator v1.8

What is this?
    PSO2 Chat Translator is a simple tool that displays your PSO2 chat log in a separate window, and translates the Japanese messages into English (or any other language) for you using Google Translate, in real-time.

Why do I need it?
    This tool makes understanding what's being said by Japanese-speaking players much easier for those who know little Japanese (or none at all). It saves time compared to copying text from the in-game chat window and pasting into a Google Translate tab in your browser. It can also show you the transliterated name of Japanese players, for example "ねこや" can be shown as the transliteration "Nekoya", which may be easier to remember if you're not accustomed to Japanese characters. You can also choose to show a transliteration of Japanese messages (romaji) rather than a translation.

How do I use it?
    You must have chat logging enabled in game for it to work. Once you've downloaded it (and either installed it or extracted the zip archive), it's as easy as running it and watching the chat messages appear. Note that it will only display messages that appear in the chat after you have opened it, and will not show any messages from before it was opened.

What can this translate?
    This tool will only translate messages from players in the standard chat channels (public, party, team and whisper). It cannot translate messages from NPCs, partner characters, nor system messages, as these do not appear in the chat log files. This does not interfere with any modifications you may have made to your game, as this itself is not a modification to the game.

How do I know it's safe?

How do I remove it?
    If you no longer want to use it, you can remove it easily:

• If you installed it using the setup installer, run the uninstaller from Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.
    • If you used the zip archive, delete the files from the folder you extracted it to.

Screenshots
    Spoiler!

Prerequisites
    You must have the .NET Framework 4.5 installed to be able to run this tool. The installer will make sure you have this and download it if you do not. If you will be using the Zip archive, you can download the .NET Framework 4.5 from Microsoft.

Download
    The translator can be downloaded either as an installer capable of putting shortcuts in your Start Menu and on your Desktop, or as a standalone program in a Zip archive to be extracted wherever you please.

Installer (Setup executable, v1.8, 5.1 MB, View VirusTotal malware scan results):

Standalone (Zip archive, v1.8, 1.3 MB, View VirusTotal malware scan results):

Changelog
    Spoiler!

I hope this will be of use to many of you, and please do let me know if you encounter any problems or have any feature suggestions!

Thanks,
    Tanerinn.
    Last edited by Tanerinn; Jul 7, 2021 at 07:50 PM. Reason: New release (v1.8)

Very nice! Looks good if it works. After getting home, ill check it out. I'll scan it again just to be sure... :P
    Last edited by Arrancar; Feb 25, 2013 at 03:25 PM.

Very nice.

What language did you write it in?

Have you looked into realtime read/translating?
    Klypto - Ship 02

Quote Originally Posted by Klypto View Post
    Very nice.

Yeah, it would definitely be nice if it didn't constantly connect to Google Translate.

Very nice.

Thanks. This was written in C# using the .NET Framework 4.5. I'm not too sure what you mean by realtime read/translating, as I believe this is already what it does!

Quote Originally Posted by Arrancar View Post
    Yeah, it would definitely be nice if it didn't constantly connect to Google Translate.
    It only makes a very small HTTP request and receives a small HTTP response per message, much less than the full HTML of the Google Translate webpage. Is there some problem with connecting to Google?

Mybad, I misread the part about getting chat after you opened it. xD

What about translated output?

like I say something in English, then type -t or some other flag/command and it puts the Japanese text of what I had just chatted in the clipboard or automatically sends that text. (quick enter / paste / enter)

Also, do you think you can play the audio files from the google tts api to allow players to hear what is being said without having to minimize the game? Also, toggle it on/off with a chat command?

Sorry if I'm just dumping all these ideas out there. I've been wanting something like this for a wile, but I'm way too lazy to make it.
    Klypto - Ship 02

Nicely done. I particularly like the ability to add custom translations.

Mybad, I misread the part about getting chat after you opened it. xD

What about translated output?

like I say something in English, then type -t or some other flag/command and it puts the Japanese text of what I had just chatted in the clipboard or automatically sends that text. (quick enter / paste / enter)

Also, do you think you can play the audio files from the google tts api to allow players to hear what is being said without having to minimize the game? Also, toggle it on/off with a chat command?

Sorry if I'm just dumping all these ideas out there. I've been wanting something like this for a wile, but I'm way too lazy to make it.
    I'll certainly be thinking about how to offer translations from English to Japanese, and the use of a flag in the in-game chat window sounds interesting! I'll add both this and the text-to-speech feature to my to-do list.

Quote Originally Posted by Karmadon View Post
    Nicely done. I particularly like the ability to add custom translations.
    Thank you!
    Last edited by Tanerinn; Feb 25, 2013 at 04:55 PM.

Thank you for making this

It'll be helpful to many, and I'll surely use this to get a slight understanding of some things that Japanese players say when playing with them(especially for some words I don't know ;_.

sig by me, PM if you want to request one.
    Ship 2/Ship 4:
    Sakia HU FI newearl | アモリ RAmarl | Hasumi FO RA caseal | ぴょましFOnewearl | 白井 BR HU Duman | リーヨウ RA GU caseal| Rena SU FI| マテオ HU/NK

Nice, I was thinking something that would do exactly this would be possible. Thanks for making this!

I would imagine it would be simple to make one for the other logs as well, right? So you can see exactly what item you picked up, sent to storage, or won from a scratch card.