Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

this tread makes me feel dumb.

tried xpadder but the game dosent recognize the extra inputs.
    Graphics Designer/Product Designer/Illustrator/General handy guy/not taking any requests right now.

Xpadder certainly works, I used it until I found out that JoyToKey's last version had been updated with most of the functions Xpadder had. I do remember that it was tricky to set up and that I also though the game didn't recognize it. You must run it as administrator, pretty much set it for max permissions or the game doesn't seem to work with it.

Unless you use a Xbox-type gamepad, I'd recommend you to try JoyToKey. Xpadder, however, can be used to overcome the issue of the gamepad mapping the triggers to the same axis (making it unable to use both at the same time. Xpadder can be used as a workaround for that). For some reason, JoyToKey doesn't fix that issue. On the other hand, Xpadder doesn't handle well using autofire sticky buttons between profiles (meaning, that you press a button and it autofires until you press it again, with Xpadder, basically if you do button combinations like L2 + A, any sticky button resets, but in JoyToKey you can make it work).

Long story short, each program has some little issues that shouldn't bother you too much unless you wanna get a very technical setup. You could theoretically use both, but to be honest, that's a real pain in the ass to set. I do prefer Xpadder for the layout, so I've been switching them on a whim.
    Last edited by Darki; Mar 29, 2013 at 03:44 PM.

Xpadder can work around that? For wireless, or just wired?

I'm not entirely sure, but I was using it on a wired Logitech gamepad that is some sort of Xbox rip-off and uses the same drivers, so it might work with wireless ones too. If you have one just download it and try, shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.

Joy 2 Key is the shit the main reason I got mine all setup to suit all classes of play im in love now it may not be for everybody but once you get it setup it becomes WIN GET!

Sig by Gama

could someone give an example of how to do this. got joy2key but i'm confused!
    Graphics Designer/Product Designer/Illustrator/General handy guy/not taking any requests right now.

What sort of example do you need? Tell me what you have in mind for the program and I'll help.

By the way, I got really confused with the main homepage of the program because there's a very old one that appears in Google results as the first, so make sure you got the right one: http://www-en.jtksoft.net/ The program is not freeware but I guess you can "find" a way to make it work (or pay for it, of course). Once you got the program working is relatively easy to set up, just a bit time-consumming because you gotta check many things to make it work properly.

The first step is to disable the keys in game so they don't overlap to JoyToKey, so just go to Options and leave all the functions you wanna modify blank. Some keys can't be disabled (joysticks for example). If you're not going to modify one key in any way I'd suppose it's better to leave it set in the game. For example, my jump button doesn't change in any profile so I simply left it set in the game and blank in JoyToKey.

Also, it'd be a good idea to take a look to the keyboard configuration in the same Options section. I rearranged many buttons in the keyboard to make it easier to assign in JoyToKey. Another thing is that the game has different assignments for normal play and for menu navigating, so you might want to disable both functions in the gamepad section so they don't overlap in any case, and check that they use the same keyboard key so you can use it as it it was the original.

Once you got that done, go to JoyToKey and press the key you wanna set in your gamepad. It should appear highlighted in yellow in the program. Double-click it and you'll pop out a menu with several options. If you just want to set a single key (for example button 1 = L key) you only need to set that on the first Keyboard section. You can also set toogle and autofire functions there. The second Keyboard section is to set double key functions, like hold/tap and stuff.

i have a Logitech dual action gamepad.

and i would like to be able to use the 1234567890 shotcuts on my keyboard from the controller.

not sure how you set it up tho

All of them? You *might* be able to put all but that's going to make a hell of a complicated setup. You might prefer to drop some functions that you don't need to access too often like map toogles, quick menu and other stuff like that.

Your gamepad as I see is like a PS2 one. The main issue is that there are some functions that you want to keep easy to access and while pushing other buttons. For example, you'd like to be able to jump and use both attack buttons so you can jump while charging techs, and you also wanna be able to use de dodge button all the time.

I got these pics of your gamepad to use as a guide:

Spoiler!

In my case, I put the normal attack function on your pad's "2" button, the special attack on your "4" button. Jump's on "3" so you can easily press "2"+"3" or "4"+"3" with the same thumb (and I use "1" for pickup/access button). Dodge would be in your "5" button and weapon action on "6" button. Even if you wanna use toogle functions so you can make button combinations, you should probably keep the jump, dodge and guard ones always the same, so you can leave those set ingame and not to bother with JoyToKey with them.

Now, I would leave your "7" and "8" bumpers for profile toogle buttons. You can add a hold/tap function to the left joystick button for lock-on and target switch, so you can lock on enemies and still be able to jump, attack and dodge at the same time. On the other joystick button you could put the autorun function if you want it in the gamepad. You can also put it as a hold/tap function and pair it with TPS mode too, and then use the remaining "9" and "10" buttons for something less battle-ready like area/toogle map and main/quick menu.

Now, on to the toogle bumpers. You can make it work so when you press different combinations between R2, L2 and buttons 1, 3 and 3, it uses the subpalette functions. It could be like this:

L2 + 1 = subpalette 1
    L2 + 3 = subpalette 2
    L2 + 4 = subpalette 3

R2 + 1 = subpalette 4
    R2 + 3 = subpalette 5
    R2 + 4 = subpalette 6

L2 + R2 + 1 = subpalette 7
    L2 + R2 + 3 = subpalette 8
    L2 + R2 + 4 = subpalette 9

always leaving button "2" for jumping.

You'd be short of one button, though. In my case I don't care because I have the telepipe there and is not something I gotta use constantly, so I left it out of the gamepad and simply use it from the keyboard.

Lastly, for the last complex setup, you can use the same toggle buttons to set the numpad keys to the D-pad and be able to switch weapons on the fly. For example:

L2 + up = weapon 1
    L2 + down = weapon 2
    L2 + right = weapon 3
    L2 + left = weapon 4

R2 + up = weapon 5
    R2 + down = weapon 6

And so on, you can also add some menu shortcuts to the remaining 6 keys too, for example to switch subpalette menus, mag feeding, unit/weapon access, party setup, etc.

If you have trouble setting this stuff up in the program, I'll try to help but it's difficult to explain, too many things to do. x_x
    Last edited by Darki; Mar 30, 2013 at 10:45 AM.

oo, nice, thank you so much for making it so clear, ill try it out and let you know how it went!