Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I agree, but it's either that or set up a shop to sell it in, because they're definitely not giving it away.

I mean, the smart thing to do would be to actually allow players to buy it directly, but apparently stores don't exist in Japan so the whole concept is alien to them. It apparently only works in western games, and the west in general, to sell something directly and without RNG-based bullshit.

The supposive Gaijin Hero EvilMag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Spoiler!

But seriously, I think it's seriously poor taste to have fans design something and then sell it in your lottery system. Creating the assests does cost money, of course, but selling those assests shows that there's really no gratitude towards the fans on Sega's part.
    Is there a disclaimer somewhere in that contest? If there isn't, I'm sure that's illegal right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by CelestialBlade View Post
    Bit off-topic, but I'm just sick and tired of "difficulty" meaning "stat boosts". It's lazy and boring.

Where there's a will to make money, there's a way to squash the little guy with lawyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Spoiler!

But seriously, I think it's seriously poor taste to have fans design something and then sell it in your lottery system. Creating the assests does cost money, of course, but selling those assests shows that there's really no gratitude towards the fans on Sega's part.

I like how Valve actually do give a percentage of sales of their "lottery system" (Keys/Crates) to the contributors... which actually does total into a hefty sum. Though admittedly Valve doesn't create the assets here.
    Last edited by Vashyron; May 29, 2013 at 09:31 PM.

I'd be inclined to participate if I actually knew how to draw. I suppose I can always use tools and stuff to make the art look... remotely decent, but I lack the creative insight to fabricate original designs. My subconscious would probably mistakenly recreate a design from somewhere else and all work would be scrapped. Meh.

If anything I rather stick to story writing...

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

One time I entered a design contest in another game... and I didn't even win >_>

And they used the design anyway...

And I didn't get credited on the outfit description till I sent in a "help desk" report.

THEN THEY DID IT AGAIN!

AND I DIDN'T GET CREDITED THE SECOND TIME!!

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMag View Post
    Is there a disclaimer somewhere in that contest? If there isn't, I'm sure that's illegal right there.
    You're giving them the rights to your submission. That's like... the premise of every fan creation contest ever.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMag View Post
    Yup. Down in the red:
    応募者は、入賞作品のゲーム内アイテムがACスクラッチで販売されることに同意するものとしま す。
    If you submit something, you agree to have it be sold in the AC scratch if it wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Vashyron View Post
    I like how Valve actually do give a percentage of sales of their "lottery system" (Keys/Crates) to the contributors... which actually does total into a hefty sum. Though admittedly Valve doesn't create the assets here.
    I admit that I don't know much about how other companies go about real-money RNG lottery systems, especially when it comes to user-created content, but that sounds fair. It doesn't make me like the system any more than I already do but it's certainly a step up from what Sega's doing here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardios View Post
    You're giving them the rights to your submission. That's like... the premise of every fan creation contest ever.
    That doesn't make it any less scummy though.

Well, yeah. Fan created costumes being tied to AC scratch (sadly) was to be expected though.

So long as they're up front about the terms, I don't see a problem. I have a few ideas for weapons, but alas, I cannot draw.