Quote Originally Posted by Randomness View Post
They should have just let people toggle between the two schemes. Additionally, this would give them numbers on which people preferred.
I was just thinking on this, and... Really, wouldn't the DRM systems, and all the features it allows to exist, benefit from being an optional system on a per-game basis?

It would complicate the matter a bit, as far as selling your physical copy back to GameStop for five cents goes, but the gist of what I'm thinking is something like this:

Every game comes with a registration code, and its use is optional. However, service features change depending on whether or not you have the game registered to your account.

Without registration:
-The disc is required to play; you can install the game to your hard drive, and the game will function normally (i.e. how you work with disc-based games on basically any disc-using console ever).

With registration:
-Disc is no longer required to play after installing to your hard drive or downloading from Xbox Live, and the game functions normally.
-You can choose to share this game with your shared family over Xbox Live - you can always play your game, as can one other member of your family at a given time.
-You have access to this title fully on any Xbox One you sign into (though you'll obviously have to download it to that console).
-Discless play, cloud library and sharing features require that your console check-in, or else these features are disabled after 24 hours of your console being offline.
-You can still play the game offline (presuming it's not an online-only game, of course) by simply inserting the disc.

The only real problem here comes in when you install the game, and then someone else plays a non-registered version on their console, but... How much more impact would that have than the family sharing feature in the first place? This, of course, is also assuming that certain (which, realistically, there's no way GameStop would be allowed to have the monopoly here - expect anyone that deals in used games as a business venture to really get this) retailers can unlink games from accounts and such (with the requisite verification and identification, etc.).