Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 71415161718 LastLast

sign me up to Ambrai!!
    I lost all my items to bsod then i went back on with my backup save and i lost everything again!!! argh im so mad!! and on top of bsod i got robbed then got bsod and that sucks the most!! Theres goes my glass sword!!

Ambrai,

Since I last posted my results trying to restore from a back-up, I've discovered new problems. I'd really like your feedback.

I, too, have been in contact with sega techs. Generally, you need to ask to talk to a supervisor before you get any real information. The phone monkeys who you first deal with are only reading their responses off of the monitor or parroting what they've heard. Most of the phone monkeys don't really understand what the nature of the problem is. I hear wrong information 9 times out of 10...until I get them to patch me thru to a tech lead.

I am having Sega looking into resetting my online pref file on the server, but I don't expect much to come of it. It's an unusual request and one they may not be able to grant.

Basically, as I was experimenting with getting around the new system (so that I could use backups and play the game secure in the knowledge that I had protected my investment), I had another server glitch destroy my save file. I've been thru BSoD's before. I just unplug the phone cord in the back and let the game reset itself... But this is different, and why I started backing up characters in the first place.

After being disconnected while selecting a ship, the game reported to me that it was not able to save my file. I had two choices: save again, or exit without saving. Since saving did not work repeatedly, I selected the latter. And lost my entire file (basically, it becomes "corrupt"). This happened to me 2 weeks ago. I lost a level 47 character and 100 hours with that glitch. This time, I lost a level 56 character and 78 hours. Obviously, the backup file did not work, no matter how long I tried to age the character over the original files time...

After a call to Sega, I finally got somebody who used backups himself and somebody who truly sympathized with my plight. A coworker of his had just had this happen the other day. Sega employees who are PSO fans aren't happy about the changes either. That's good news. They stand a better chance of changing things than we do. This tech lead suggested I allow the game to reinitialize my items. Doing this destroyed my mag collection and all my nifty items that I'd found or traded for. It took away all my meseta as well. Many inconsiderate posters on this thread don't understand this. Everything is reset. My level 200 mag (which I raised) was reduced to a level one. My spread needle was changed to a handgun. If that wasn't bad enough, the reset save file STILL wouldn't let me log online. So basically my backup character was punished as if it was a duper's save file, and that character is blocked from playing online. I can play offline fine, but that can be fun for only so long.

Most phone monkeys at Sega told me I needed to start all over. They really couldn't help me. They didn't really know anything. The 2 different tech leads were more understanding.

The server is saving information serverside. My backup is from before the server change which might explain why the backup won't work... Also, whatever the server saved on my master file, it also wrote or accessed information on my other VMU which was plugged in (the light blinked). My guess: The server is using the serverside data to synch with the VMU saved data. What I don't understand is why the server data is not being reinitialized when it initializes my character data...

Have you had anybody else not be able to play after their backup file was reinitialized? The sega tech lead I complained to about this wasn't able to help me. No information. He promised to escallate my case to his superiors, but I haven't heard back from them. Frankly, I've been sick with pneumonia and too miserable to worry about it. Still, I would like to know if others have had this problem..

Huh, well you can sign me up on this petition,
    I've put in about 172 hours into my ranger and just barely started to get some good stuff to trade for things that not everyone has alredy, when I was hit by the usual BSOD where you lose stuff not equiped. So I tried to use my back up and well you know the rest.
    I think this could've worked if they would have done it like a month ago when they first heard about duping in PSO, but now it's just too. late. Now there just pissin people off.

Faewyn,

I did ALOT of testing last night. I actually believe after reading the files for about 4 hours straight and comparing it with a file that is identical - cant play online.... I think a small line of code is introduced into the save file. Similar to a software key. Your save and the server have it. When you logon it checks for that key. If it doesnt have the key you are fuxord.

I belive I found the key in the file and successfully mended it into the other save. The only problem that I am coming across is when I email it to myself the browser ONLY reads it as text. If you can find a fix to that I can continue working on this. otw I just hit a brick wall =(.
    Playing as Keahi on Phantasy Star Portable 2 - US Version.

[quote]
    On 2001-03-08 01:11, Thanos wrote:
    Sega can't go to Hell. Where would PSO 2 be then. You should think before you speak, there, oh Omnipotent One.

Sega did not drop any of the gaming consoles. The GAMERS did. Who bought those nasty Playstations anyway? Yes it does suck for lyal Sega fans, but if Sega makes games for other consoles (Gamecube, Xbox, GBA) then you will have MORE access to excellent games. No more being tied down to one great system. You will have three great systems to play with. Why are all Sega gamers so dern pessimistic about everything?

OK Thanos you had SOME valid points but I disagree with the above statement the demise of all of sega's recent consoles was THEIR fault, not the gaming public. Let's really look at this for a sec. exactly how many Saturn ads did you see on TV? I can count one, Sega did the lamest job of advertising the Saturn I have ever seen for any system. Hell, the 32X got better TV ad treatment and it was a piece of crap! Also Sega tried to launch 2 systems without EA...... BAD MOVE. When Sega refused to give EA their props for putting the Genesis over the top in the mainstream consumer's eyes they dropped the ball for any future hardware ventures, let's face it people, You need EA to survive in the American gaming market. And I actually like NBA2K1 better than Live 2001. I personally don't care about EA but, I'm not the casual mainstream gamer so IT DOSEN'T MATTER what I think! (heh) Also I had worked at an Electronics Boutique for 4 years around the time the Saturn and PS came out and people still had trust in Sega at the time. Our saturn games sold better than the PS stuff for a little while, until people started getting mad that Sega was releasing a game EVERY 3 months! And what about all the great import Saturn games Sega refused to release regardless of all the online petitions that were out there. So no my friend Sega made their own bed as far as failed consoles go. Don't get me wrong I will continue to buy sega software, but I will NEVER EVER buy a Sega brand console again, I'm tired of getting ripped off.

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: GreatMUTA on 2001-03-09 15:16 ]</font>

Funny how people avoid the obvious. Am I the only one that thinks Vanse had a point? I think not. Its been said before, and it was bound to be said again STFU and play thanks.

Ah so much love.. and exaggerated feelings on both sides. All IMO, but c'mon.

Equipment is everything? Hardly. Unless loot is truly your only enjoyment in the game. If you're high level and don't have friends who can suit you up almost instantly, you're not getting what you should out of PSO. It's the lost hours getting all those levels, the customizations, the bond to character IMO. If it's not, and you're all about loot, yeah it'll really hurt. But the only one it *really* cruches are the androids. Hybrids already have it easy, and forces won't care as much.

I just don't get all the tears. I understand some on the 'look' side of the argument, but f it's just because you find a weapon/item making it mind numbingly easy to play the game, are you crippled without it?

If you love to solo and don't have friends to help you rebuild, the answer may well be yes, and for that I am sorry. But if you play the Phantasy Star ONLINE part, there isn't much problem here. Let me repeat that this game is basically *Mind Numbingly Easy*. Unlike EQ. Even on vhard (yes, a 50 Force talking).

I'm sorry Ambrai but I laughed my butt off at the level 60 - level 10 in EQ reference. Yeah I hit 50+s but I didn't have the patience for 60. And yes their some gear is critical for tanks, and could hit a character terribly hard in EQ. That said, losing the character would be of equal if not more magnitude, and in a casters case much more so really than most/any equipment. And again with friends, certainly a bit can be alleviated. But yeah you need that equipment to survive.

But unlike EQ you can buy a lot at the store, trade for a lot instantly, and have a *helluva* lot less slots to worry about, and factors to balance. But playing it as designed again this game is sooo easy, it's not like the mobs requiring multiple groups of 6 in EQ. And each heal is area effect and often max health. I know some of you crying bloody murder won't admit it, but you likely even have dupes of mags and items on some of your mules already. And yes at the highest of levels that would be a sad state. But by then you've probably already twinked other characters with gained equipment if not retired the 100 outright no?

All I'm saying is, why such feeling? I've put 80+ hours into knocking out quests, growing Terra [Prime], and rising ranks. I wouldn't want to start from scratch again. As a force, sure my view is skewed some, what item would cripple me? Nothing really.. I'd feel the mag.. but that'd be about it. I agree the hit is more severe the more melee/gun based to be sure. But is it *everything*? Hell no.

I want to be saved re-running all the quests to unlock them, playing normal, even playing hard, and starting at zones I want too. I know the stories, I've done the lowbie drill. Yes one can twink exceedingly fast. But the beauty is people aren't duping characters - noone wants that. Yes equipment loss can be devestating, some classes/races may well argue moreso then the level loss.

But ask yourself this - what kind of 100 level player has no friends who can't get them back on their feet as a good contributor pronto? On the flipside.. twinking to 100 will take awhile even with good friends and a lot of time to burn.

I just think some thoughts have to grow a little bit here. THIS GAME IS EASY FOLKS. No comparison should be drawn to highlevel EQ. There is none. The hardest boss in the game doesn't even necessarily take a group of 4, there are no experience penalties, everyone has portable 'gates', and you by default run quicker than any monster in the game. Oh and outside the boss, just exit the room and get your breath. And for him grab some scape dolls if you're worried about it.

Yes, if you love slaughtering everything, being the biggest show off with your rare gear, less worried about others experience and enjoyment and focused on your almighty powers, you will hurt with this modification. Maybe that's where some people aren't sharing info per Spy's thread, which I only find sad in the midst of all of us sharing info.

Even rares friends will help you with no doubt. If the really rare look drove you.. I agree, it is a pain, a loss. Maybe enough to drive you away. But please, no more jokes about being bereft without items or hardship comparisons.. this game is a piece of cake. Only if you're a online solo player with no help would that really mean much. And if so there's a good chance you have a gameshark anways, eh?

I guess I wouldn't lose sight of what fun PSO has been just because of this. Damning Sega, writing petitions.. for what might or might not happen.. meanwhile you can still back up your *character*.. yes it wouldn't stop total cheating anways, and it'll likely change again.

But I mean we're supposedly a community anyways right? Does anyone truly believe they'd be so bereft? Outside guys like Cree?

Well that's my pocket change, have a good weekend and a good meet up.

DCKaz
    Terra Prime 50 FOmarl.

(edit - had gaemboy above instead of gameshark lol)

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: DCKaz on 2001-03-09 18:35 ]</font>

DCkaz, All I'm getting from your comment is your opinion on what makes the game fun for you. Well than this is my opinion. Sure the game is hella easy, but I don't play the game for the challenge anymore. I'm a lvl 73 Ramar and their really isn't any challenge left in the game. So whats left for me. Hunting for rares. So, yes equipment is everything to me now. I use to care about leveling up, But that gets old and tiring once you're high enough level where you don't have to worry about dieing at the hands of Dark Falz on V-hard. I don't go through the ruins just so I can go on a killing spree, I go through it over and over in hope of finding a rare to add to my collection.

Oh and you say that you can still back up your character, how , I mean yea you can still send yourself an email but what good is that if you can't go online with it and not lose everything you have, in bank and all. Pleeze if you really know how, share the knowledge.

YOU have become better at evading questions! (147)

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Vanse on 2001-03-10 10:52 ]</font>