Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

knowing sega i wouldnt be surprised if they generated all the possible layouts and host them in some bloated format on client side
    P S O W
    (´_ゝ`) current chars: ジョゼフィン / ジョゼフ / リノ | playerid: ponponparapara
    died to SEGAC corporate robots on 05/01/2016, never forget

Quote Originally Posted by MetalDude View Post
    I'm still not buying it. I'm talking Cataclysm, as in the third expansion, therefore that includes BC and LK with it. 10GB may have been an understatement but it was barely that much more than that. I feel like PSO2 is bloating a lot faster for a game that randomly generates landscapes (meaning it simply needs "puzzle pieces" to connect and a seed to put them together based on the quest).
    You're wrong.

Let me put it this way. World of Warcraft's character models have a very low number of polygons (roughly 5000, give or take) and low-resolution textures (512x512 at most) - and even then, they only use painted diffuse textures. Phantasy Star Online 2's models have at least 15k polys per model (and this is just from me eyeballing it) and MULTIPLE 1024x1024 textures (diffuse, normal, specular) on characters alone. I should remind you that doubling both dimensions on a texture quadruples the amount of data you're actually storing. Individual weapons alone account for a huge chunk of the data, when you consider that both katanas and bows will each have at least 30 unique weapon models, all of which have a high polygon count and high-resolution textures. Then you account for the fact that every matter board and blue tablet event is fully voiced, whereas the only voice overs in World of Warcraft are in the occasional cutscenes and for NPC greetings.

The only thing surprising about this amount of data is how many people don't understand just how much stuff is actually in there. A single 1024x1024 .dds texture alone can run you 4 MBs, and you have hundreds of those in a single update. (It's not uncommon for a heavily modded Skyrim installation to breach 30 GBs - and that's a single-player game!)

Let me tell you how this shit works.

Cause you people, and this thread....

The actual patch size, the precede, will be 5gb.
    The actual EP2 content, the real content/patch will NOT be 5gb.

Why ?

Because the precede takes the existing file and then "copies" it so to say.

So in example you have the file that has all weapons textures and all that stuff.
    The precede downloads a new weapon file with all the old textures + the new ones included, suddenly it becomes a far bigger update then it appears to be.

The actual size might only be 2-3gb, like mentioned before.

This off course means you still have to download the 5gb in the precede, but atleast now you know why it's 5gb and not 2.

and @the guy saying WoW cataclysm was 10gb, no. just no.
    Even just googling for 10 seconds you can find people saying cataclysm was atleast 16gb, some even reporting 20-25gb, so ya, no.