Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Don't discount us, some of us are still here.

I remember Anteres 8.
    But do you remember Miranda 7 ?

If you really want to know, I've got lots to tell about the DC and GC days that I remember. Fun stuff and good times all around. LOTS of interesting things happening and familiar names to say. I made a doujinshi of some of it for fun.

Vega was the new Oberon.
    Oberon was ship 1 of DCSPSO. It was also called Oberslum & GhettOberon. Someone was hacking or FSOD'ing it like every minute. PK funtimes because when you died you'd wepdrop and cashdrop. I carried on purpose a sword called "Heart/Breaker" (breaker sword with heart element on it) so that when I was killed, that's what they'd get instead of a rare.

Cheeaaaaaat needles!
    The best weapon was the Spread Needle. HU or RA could use it. People hax it so it would kill every monster in like 2 or 3 hits. It spread bullets all over the room. I had one, but used it responsibly in concert with my team of friends. RyLong! Jenase! Wish you were here. Other people would "tag up" with weak magic, then the spread holder would kill.

Miranda 7?
    Yes that was the battle mode ship. If you wanted to vs other people on "Rules" you went there. The Rules were numbered, and you didn't get to use your own items, mates, weps etc. You also were level reset to the same level and # of deaths determined wins. Everyone could trap, and selfkilling was a big deal. Performing "Standing Resta" for fleshies was a must. The arenas had different shapes/walls/etc with warps and crates for weapons. It was really very interesting and you couldn't cheat. The game names had abbreviations that were very specific. FO had to only fight FO, HU fought only HU and so on. "RU6 NOFO". BurgerDog, WWWWWWWWWW, Virus, Omni Slash, Naked Robber (not actually naked), XenorphaXero, Professor Frink, Hanus ***, Wanderer, SOURCE, Del-An, the names just go on and on. Who's left?

They raised BA to a HIGH ART.
    That Japan guy "ash" (with an afro) having like 2k wins. I had (I thinnnnnnnk) the 2nd highest win count of any HUcast (or other android...HUc stats were the tops in that day) of the entire era. You don't even know. There were people who use VCR to record session, then go over it with their PA. (Partner) Remember this was before like all cell phones and voice chats. This was DIAL UP and it worked. I dialed up.

But you want to know about GCPSO.
    Well it started out with no keyboard. You literally couldn't speak unless you used the super annoying onscreen kb. So some guys called The Pants Of Evil Gamers used a lab and invented a box that they sold the kit for. It would make a cheap walmarts kb work with your game cube. That was where I learned to solder circuits! They sold the kit over ebay. LOADS of early GC'ers had it. Later, a real KB was released.

The special quests were of course there...
    There wasn't the volume of content people expected like from PSU onward. The most memorable ones were of course, the 2 towers on Gal Da Val island, where they did that CALUS research. Going up the floors fighting the giant plants Gibbles (n bits) & Ill Gills. (Ill Gills as you know, returned in PSU)

"Carnage Island"
    THAT was a fun place. It wasn't really called that, but it was on a timed quest on Gal Da Val near the dam. Little square of metal land in the middle of the foggy swamp at night...would spawn like hella billion enemies just....constantly. It rained EXP. You could break the timer too, and just have a hell of a time on carnage island. I forget what the original name of the thing was.

Sinow Berrill too...best enemy for looks like...ever. (It was invisible like in the Predator way)

Chair racing & soccer lobbies
    NOL'ing (that was thankfully DC only)
    Going to the beach too, that one quest with no monsters in it, at night

Anyone remembers "Mamak.int" ?
    Website rivaled PSOW for news back in its day. Might of been based in south pacific somewhere?

As far as I know, most of the battlers went to Xbox PSU , Xbox mistreat it / sega screws it up so prob not much of them left. Like that there was a "memory leak" or somesuch on the machines enemies that it would freeze the xbox, MS made everyone pay more etc..

Battle died down on GC anyway, the new stats spoiled it for most everyone.

It is all very fascinating to think of, that there were these cultures, times, and literally places you could go.......that now no one can ever get to again. It might as well be another dimension. They exist now only as memories.

About Carnage Island, do you mean there was a quest on those platforms in the water you see in the intro and while walking over the dam? I always wondered about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Neith View Post
    Knew I had a few shots saved somewhere, probably have more elsewhere.
    I'm sure I have a pic of your Terra somewhere, but I cannot find it D:

Here's mine, anyway:

Funny how people refer to PSOGC as PSO1 when in actuality it was PSODC which was v1. Anyways most of the long time folks have moved on to better things *hence* newer/different games or life in itself. Ah Puck 9 brings back a few memories but, yeah mostly new folks around here now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrith View Post
    I'm sure I have a pic of your Terra somewhere, but I cannot find it D:

Here's mine, anyway:
    Yeah, I have it somewhere. You took one of me when I got knocked down or killed in a Spaceship run if I remember correctly. How the hell I remember that is another thing altogether.

Amazingly, my GC PSO memory cards still work fine so I still have all my characters. Only ever got to about Lv164-165 on GC though; I may have started hunting SJS there but I didn't become a true masochist until Blue Burst (Lv200, SJS and Yasha hunts all running at the same time- what the hell was I thinking )

HUnewearl power since 2003. NGS Official Creator (SectionSkyly)

Quote Originally Posted by Zalana View Post
    Funny how people refer to PSOGC as PSO1 when in actuality it was PSODC which was v1. Anyways most of the long time folks have moved on to better things *hence* newer/different games or life in itself. Ah Puck 9 brings back a few memories but, yeah mostly new folks around here now.
    Yeah I think it's fair to call PSOGC "PSO1" (although I don't see anybody doing so) since...you know...it is the first PSO. It's not the first version of it, per se, but it's the same game entirely.

I had the Dreamcast version and I did play online but I was actually very young at that time I was not an active member of any kind of community then.

I'm 24 now so I was like in elementary school at the time I played DC PSO. ~11 years old? ...So yeah...not only are memories faint but I wasn't exactly a hardcore gamer yet.

When the GC version came out I was in high school, and that's when I became obsessive with the franchise.

Senior Arks Member..? SquashDemon's Avatar
    I came from Ragol, and all the not-sense that makes with it.

I went to Antares for Cmode sometimes, but mostly I wandered. Except...Vega. rarely went there. Eh, my character was the same as my username, so if you saw me around then, hi!

@azureblaze You failed to mention the BGM disks. Ever run TTF to Burning Rangers every single map?

It makes everything better.

I nostalgia'd so hard when they came out with the arks ship fire swirl event.

...and speaking of Arkz...

am I the last surviving Episode III player?
    Last edited by SquashDemon; Jul 1, 2013 at 08:09 PM.
    Episode III for Life.

Quote Originally Posted by SquashDemon View Post
    I went to Antares for Cmode sometimes, but mostly I wandered. Except...Vega. rarely went there. Eh, my character was the same as my username, so if you saw me around then, hi!

@azureblaze You failed to mention the BGM disks. Ever run TTF to Burning Rangers every single map?

It makes everything better.

I nostalgia'd so hard when they came out with the arks ship fire swirl event.

...and speaking of Arkz...

am I the last surviving Episode III player?
    I played episode 3 as well. I dont seem to have any photos from my GC days but I do have some from BB. And none of them from the front so here's the back of my character yay.
    Laxedrane - Ship 10| Force-70 Hunter-70 Techer-70 Braver-70 Bouncer-70
    Darrin- Ship 10 Ranger-62 Gunner-65 Force-1 Techer-0
    Ismaire- Ship 10 Hunter-51 Braver-51 Bounder-1

Quote Originally Posted by Zipzo View Post
    Yeah I think it's fair to call PSOGC "PSO1" (although I don't see anybody doing so) since...you know...it is the first PSO. It's not the first version of it, per se, but it's the same game entirely.

I had the Dreamcast version and I did play online but I was actually very young at that time I was not an active member of any kind of community then.

I'm 24 now so I was like in elementary school at the time I played DC PSO. ~11 years old? ...So yeah...not only are memories faint but I wasn't exactly a hardcore gamer yet.

When the GC version came out I was in high school, and that's when I became obsessive with the franchise.
    It's more so Episode I & II to be technical. Since after v1 DC was v2. Yeah I was in middle school at the time (7th grade to be exact) and I still remember my best friend at the time which he's still my friend to date steal one of my classmates Dagger +99 which was so wrong at the time but, very funny.

Long time vets all know about how the code breaker destroyed PSODC and the elite hackers such as a few folks over at the CMGSCCC site used to have codes available for the game. I still remember how people would come to their forums and beg for PK codes and such. Good ol CM and Barubary.

Heck I still remember when it was rather expensive to afford internet back then so people used free ISPs. But, yeah shortly after I hit 200 on GC I started playing EP3 more than EP I & II. Eventually got God rank 10 and my best buddy at the time Dark_Milly had a lv200 character and also achieved God rank 1 on EP3 then came blue burst and conquered that.

PSU came along we played that got bored easily despite maxing out stuff on it and thank god FFXI came along and the rest was history. Still wish some oldies were around even though some are lurking about.

To Gigawuts: Yes. To a degree.
    There's a whole quest on the top of the dam from the intro, just a long straight room sort of thing with various gates & etc. I believe you had to take a warp to "carnage island" so that you couldn't get off it. It was one of those ones where you couldn't die alone or it'd quit you. I think that another quest also used a platform set up to look like it was in the swampish area.

Squash Demon: You are NOT the last surviving Ep3 person!

I'm here too. I admit I did not like the whole 'cards' thing because I am not a cards person. Others are, and that's great. But I thought it was really bizarre and dumb of them to take an action game and then turn it into cards. It just seemed really random and like a move sure to make them lose the entire audience.
    Eventually, I did like the game ok. I had RUBBISH luck for the most part because it was a dice game. I do remember some epic battles, like one time for 2+hrs in "The Morgue" which was that enormous field on the Hunter ship. 2 v 2, nobody would give up. I pretty much played EP3 till everyone quit and it got real barren. They didn't do anything much to keep it new.

Do you remember the cheaters who would show up AS the Leukon Knight and get in your face?
    That was super frightful/strange/etc.

BGM disks...yea!
    And yes, we did run TTF to BR. People would spam out random disks too. I forget all what exactly they had, but the BR thing here really is nostalgia. I remember winning the blue ring out of TTF and gave it to such a nice Japanese girl BAB&BAB , she was so surprised. (She couldn't survive ult falz) . We got to be going on various Cmodes & doing parts of TTF that she'd live thru and talking and learning words and things. It was really fun. The greatest tragedy later on was someone PKNOL murdered her later...I like to think that we might of gotten to be friends if she hadn't died. (the loss of the character made her quit for good)