Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Twin Daggers

All this DPS talk is coming from a bunch of AQ/ExQ players. Outside of those two quest you should use whatever weapon you want since no one cares about the weapons you use in normal quest. And even in EQ/ExQ you can out perform a Saber user with a Gunslash and Lambda Aristin.

Twin Daggers are really fun to use when/if you do solo runs and learning the Triple Dash makes you fastest player in your party.

Quote Originally Posted by SakoHaruo View Post
    All this DPS talk is coming from a bunch of AQ/ExQ players. Outside of those two quest you should use whatever weapon you want since no one cares about the weapons you use in normal quest. And even in EQ/ExQ you can out perform a Saber user with a Gunslash and Lambda Aristin.

Twin Daggers are really fun to use when/if you do solo runs and learning the Triple Dash makes you fastest player in your party.
    Non-sense I use daggers wherever I please AQ's or not doesn't matter also triple dash is fucking awesome.

Sig by Gama

I find that I kill a few monsters faster with daggers than with double sabers, namely Windyra, De Malmoth, Chrome Dragon, Vol Dragon, (Sol) Dirandal rider, also really easy to use on Falz Arm.

It has already been explained why they are so good as a defensive weapon type, but let me emphasise it, since it is greatly overlooked.

Daggers are exceptionally fun against falz arms. Like, really, really fun. The downside is having to chase them when they swing across the entire platform, presumably flipping you the bird while they do it.

All of those enemies Hrith listed are super fun to fight with daggers, since you can head straight for the weak point. Others can include wolga and rockbear, depending on if they're moving or not, and really anything with a weak point that's above ground level. They're indispensable against vader's shoulder missile pods, for instance. You don't even need a good set either, since they have so little hp.

Tranmizer is one that you're very safe against if you make sure to stay around one raging waltz leap's distance in the air. Many of its swipes will not hit you there, even if they look like they should.

So since I recently found a Twin Kamui and felt the need to revisit Twin Dagger Photon Arts.
    • I assume Raging Waltz and Orchestra are still the main ones to use?
    • Shoot Polka seems to do it's job of launching both you and your enemy up a bit as well as doing decent(?) damage. Seems like another good one to keep around.
    • Scar Fugue seems good when you need an easily loopable throw that does good damage.
    • Symphonic Drive is fun, but wonky hitboxes at times make it a bit less than ideal, as well as the odd wall that bounces your enemy in an even odder direction.
    • Wild Rhapsody seems to have been outclassed by Orchestra, though it's lower PP cost is something to consider
    • Dark Scherzo still seems a bit useless due to short range and long animation, though the pulling enemies part isn't a bad thing.
    • Quick March seems useless except on bosses (even then does it do enough damage to be worth it?) due to the inability to follow the enemy you hit away (unless this was changed recently?).

How's my analysis?

Current considered Photon Art Combos are:
    • Raging Waltz (get to the enemy) -> Shoot Polka (get a little height so I can fall about while hitting to regain PP) -> Orchestra / Scar Fugue (do damage)
    • Raging Waltz -> Raging Waltz -> Raging Waltz (for the things that move around a lot, like Falz hands)
    • Symphonic Drive -> Symphonic Drive -> Symphonic Drive (cause it's fun ( ´∀`) )

Quote Originally Posted by IndigoNovember View Post
    So since I recently found a Twin Kamui and felt the need to revisit Twin Dagger Photon Arts.
    • I assume Raging Waltz and Orchestra are still the main ones to use?
    • Shoot Polka seems to do it's job of launching both you and your enemy up a bit as well as doing decent(?) damage. Seems like another good one to keep around.
    • Scar Fugue seems good when you need an easily loopable throw that does good damage.
    • Symphonic Drive is fun, but wonky hitboxes at times make it a bit less than ideal, as well as the odd wall that bounces your enemy in an even odder direction.
    • Wild Rhapsody seems to have been outclassed by Orchestra, though it's lower PP cost is something to consider
    • Dark Scherzo still seems a bit useless due to short range and long animation, though the pulling enemies part isn't a bad thing.
    • Quick March seems useless except on bosses (even then does it do enough damage to be worth it?) due to the inability to follow the enemy you hit away (unless this was changed recently?).

How's my analysis?

Current considered Photon Art Combos are:
    • Raging Waltz (get to the enemy) -> Shoot Polka (get a little height so I can fall about while hitting to regain PP) -> Orchestra / Scar Fugue (do damage)
    • Raging Waltz -> Raging Waltz -> Raging Waltz (for the things that move around a lot, like Falz hands)
    • Symphonic Drive -> Symphonic Drive -> Symphonic Drive (cause it's fun ( ´∀`) )
    Your analysis is spot on with my experience, and your first combo is the one I've used for months. I keep trying to change it up, but always wind up going back to that exact combo. RW -> Shoot Polka -> Orchestra is a nice, balanced combo. It has homing, enemy lifting, elevation management, aerial and ground damage, and even pursuit on the ground (not something that's prevalent in dagger attacks).

It's a versatile and effective combo. The only issue is PP management when in the air, since RW is pretty costly to spam on a mobile enemy. This is actually the major issue with daggers in general, in my opinion. The regular swings don't recover enough PP, and the tracking moves cost too much PP. Shoot Polka and Orchestra seem to have pretty fair costs IMO, though. They both have good utility and good damage, so the cost is pretty justified.

For the RW x3 combo, try just parrying to reset the attack combo on your first combo. This is doubly beneficial because it gives you a gear bar pip when you do it. Just RW -> parry -> JA RW again, saving you a whole palette slot.

Quote Originally Posted by gigawuts View Post
    Your analysis is spot on with my experience, and your first combo is the one I've used for months. I keep trying to change it up, but always wind up going back to that exact combo. RW -> Shoot Polka -> Orchestra is a nice, balanced combo. It has homing, enemy lifting, elevation management, aerial and ground damage, and even pursuit on the ground (not something that's prevalent in dagger attacks).
    Good to know.

It's a versatile and effective combo. The only issue is PP management when in the air, since RW is pretty costly to spam on a mobile enemy. This is actually the major issue with daggers in general, in my opinion. The regular swings don't recover enough PP, and the tracking moves cost too much PP. Shoot Polka and Orchestra seem to have pretty fair costs IMO, though. They both have good utility and good damage, so the cost is pretty justified.
    I definitely agree with you on this point, for a weapon that is meant to be used in the air, it is much harder than it should be to constantly stay in the air hitting an opponent.

For the RW x3 combo, try just parrying to reset the attack combo on your first combo. This is doubly beneficial because it gives you a gear bar pip when you do it. Just RW -> parry -> JA RW again, saving you a whole palette slot.
    Thanks for the tip.

Daggers don't suck at all i soloed a Hard Loser yesterday after my other 3 team members died. Daggers are wonderful if proper strategy is put in gear (yes get t dagger gear to get the moving parry thing)

Quote Originally Posted by Thienien View Post
    Daggers don't suck at all i soloed a Hard Loser yesterday after my other 3 team members died. Daggers are wonderful if proper strategy is put in gear (yes get t dagger gear to get the moving parry thing)
    This thread is 2 years old. >_>

grave digger i choose you