Post what you think makes a good weapon.
    I personally believe that a really high max grinder makes a good weapon, like on red handgun or BKB.

I think the combo style is important. Such as the double saber where the first hit does two attacks, the second does one hit, then the third does three more attacks. Quick recovery for a weapon is also vital so you don't leave yourself open for attack

*cough* *mechguns* *cough*

Rare Weapon Hunter..

i think it special has to be good to make a good special weapon

Im Hand Wash Only! -Ed

Personally, I think that good %'s on a weapon can make a weapon good. I found a railgun + 20 with 40% to dark and 25% to hit--its my #1 weapon in ruins.
    Also, a good atp and ata can really make a difference between hit or miss, or kill or no-kill

I must agree with Yoda the amount of hits a weapon does in a combo is very important, as well as the recovery time of the weapon.

Old man in a purple hat...

The actual timing and effectiveness of the combo is considered most important. My double saber for example, all 6 hits hit. On my photon claw, I get 2 hits, since the final hit does the cartwhell, and is therefore worthless. 6 hits, or 2 hits, its easy to see which is better.

There's a lot of factors involved in what makes a weapon good.

1. Knowledge is power
    If the player knows how to properly use/combo a weapon then that already makes it highly effective regardless of hits, recovery speed, stats, and percentages.

2. Range and targeting
    A weapon that has more range will protect the character from a lot of undue damage and keep the character from being slowed down from taking hits. A weapon that targets multiple enemies will deal out a lot of combined damage.

3. Strike count
    A weapon that can hit multiple times has the potential to do more damage than a weapon that only has one hit per button press.

4. Stats and percentages
    A weapon's power is key to doing damage and percentages will add extra power, but high area percents are difficult to come by and lower percents will not make much of a difference on weaker weapons. However, a weapon with a decent hit bonus is always worth looking for. The less a character misses, the faster s/he can kill and the more damage s/he can avoid.

5. Special attacks
    Probably the least important factor of a good weapon, since most special attacks are not very reliable in higher difficulty modes. However, special attacks can still play a part, especially when considering weapons that have a unique special attack.

6. Character bonuses
    Not necessarily important for a weapon used in battle, but when used as a support (particularly for forces) this can be a very important factor for choosing a weapon to equip.

In summary, there's no one best weapon in PSO. Different weapons work better in different situations. In the end you should choose a weapon that you know how to use and that will do what you need it to do.