Default attribute elements question

hello, i'm newbie in the game, and I have a problem. I bought 2 gunlashes (one is 36%fire, other is 30% ice). I went to a forest mission to test dmg difference, so i hit on a oodan, it shows fire&wind? weaknesses. So I tried with ice first, just attack about 95dmg (not critic), I tried with 36%fire, expected to do around 110-120dmg, well it just did...95.... Is it me or elements attribute doesnt work like in psu ? Same for units ?

Well the short answer is that yes, elements work nothing like in PSU.

The long answer. It's more like extra damage that happens to be that element, rather than making the whole weapon that element. This means that no matter which element you use you'll ALWAYS do more damage than if you have no element at all, even against enemies resistant to that element. There IS a difference using it on an enemy that's weak to the element, but your damage variance probably shifted the damage, and it's usually so small that you don't need to worry about it. Probably the biggest benefit to hitting an enemy that's weak to the element is the cool effect that happens.

Only a few specific units have innate resistances and most people don't really get them for that, it's better imo to get resistance to a particular attack type than resistance to an element.

There was a thread on this but I can't find it, and I'm still looking...

EDIT: UnLucky explained it in another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by UnLucky View Post
    The bonus is an additional portion of your weapon's Atk stat, and is elemental.

Common misconception is that it converts your entire attack into an elemental one. The majority of your damage is still neutral.

See, if your character has 300 base S-Atk, and a sword that also has 300 S-Atk, you have 600 Atk going towards untyped damage. If the sword has 30 Light on it, that means you get an additional 90 Light damage (300*30%), for a total of 690 Atk. Against enemies weak to Light, that becomes 708, because only the 90 Light gets boosted by about 20%.
    Last edited by Kondibon; Jul 22, 2013 at 07:41 AM.

damm, it look complicated, like the DEX thingy, why everything so complicated, I couldn't find any guide

Quote Originally Posted by WonderBang View Post
    damm, it look complicated, like the DEX thingy, why everything so complicated, I couldn't find any guide
    All you need to know is higher elemental %=higher damage.

All you need to know for dex is higher dex=less damage variance... it's not THAT complicated. x:

lol ok, thanks. Last thing is to figure out how dmg reduction works.You said "attack type" ? What do you mean ? oodan is native so he has "native element" attack, or do you mean he have striking "element" dmg ? So how do you reduce dmg ?

Quote Originally Posted by WonderBang View Post
    lol ok, thanks. Last thing is to figure out how dmg reduction works.You said "attack type" ? What do you mean ? oodan is native so he has "native element" attack, or do you mean he have striking "element" dmg ? So how do you reduce dmg ?
    I mean, strike, range, or tech type attacks. Strike is melee, range is things like guns, and techs are "magic".

There's defense stats for each, but there are also units that add % reductions to them. It's not something you NEED to get but if you're gonna go for a percent reduction those are the way to go, as opposed to element based ones.

I see, thanks a lot. Shame there is not many guide of this game. Lots of class guides but nothing for others things.

I read this sometime. Elements are multiplier. 25 element means your overall weapon dmg multiply by 1.25. 50 element means the your overall weapon dmg multiply by 1.5. Weakness element gets another 1.2 extra. It only works for non tech attacks.

it's not 1.2 specifically, it can go from 1.1 to 1.3, but the 1.1 multipliers sometimes don't show up in game from what i see (both snow and forest cats and vader have a 1.1 multiplier to wind, vol dragon's head [head, not horn] has also a 1.1 multiplier, to dark), catedransa get a 1.3 multiplier to dark, stuff like that
    P S O W
    (´_ゝ`) current chars: ジョゼフィン / ジョゼフ / リノ | playerid: ponponparapara
    died to SEGAC corporate robots on 05/01/2016, never forget