Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Guide for Step Attack canceling?

Is there no guide for this? I've been looking for the basic concept of how to move faster using this method for at least 30 minuets. I've only seen one youtube video with no explanation. I guess I should start with a few questions

1. On the skill tree, other than step attack, do you need anything else?
    2. Does Step Advance need more than 3 points for this to work?
    3 Do certain weapons work better and or make traveling faster?
    4. Most importantly what are the inputs. I see people step attack cancel without jumping. That's the method I would like to learn.

All I know is dashing, pressing attack, then dashing again is not working. Is this some type of glitch?

For those who dont know what I'm talking about its this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_2imxG6a-E

It doesn't help much when he doesn't tell what his buttons are though.
    Last edited by Random123; Jul 22, 2013 at 03:02 PM.

What weapon are you trying to do it with?

Any. I dont know how to do it. Thats the entire point of this thread. I need exact inputs, details, and what weapons to use.

I hear you can only do it with knuckles and twin daggers, but otherwise I dunno what else you're supposed to do.
    [All Class] Nue Houjuu / [GuHu] Remilia Scarlet from Ship 02.
    74HU - 52FI - 71RA - 60GU - 75FO - 75TE - 75BR - 66BO | 68GU - 62HU - 47RA
    Leader of team Touhou.
    Community owner/developer of TF2Data | Now playing: VRChat

I don't know if it only works with knuckles and twin daggers, but they're the only weapons I would ever bother doing it with. Twin daggers have an extraordinarily fast step attack, and knuckles have knuckle gear, so there you have it. But the procedure is nothing more than step > attack > step > attack ad nauseum. The delay between the attack and the step will be much smaller than the delay between the step and the attack.

EDIT: In that video the only one that puzzles me is the first one, because he's clearly not jumping and clearly not switching weapons, but it's definitely not a step attack cancel - step attack canceling with the Dual Saber is too slow. He could be using a lobby action, and I don't know how to do that.
    Last edited by Narrillnezzurh; Jul 22, 2013 at 03:19 PM.

Well the thing is he has no attack animation. When I try I always get an attack animation. I don't know if I am doing it wrong or what but just dash, attack repeat is not moving any faster at all. In fact its moving slower.

1. Switch your weapon and dash.
    2. Press jump at the end of the dash. This will cause the weapon to switch, because you cannot have a weapon cancel your dash, but jumping will cancel the dash.
    3. Dash again.
    4. Jump again and dash immediately afterwards for a third dash.

Optional: Use a lobby action when you switch your weapon for a fourth dash in the middle of it. You can also use charge PAs and cancel them during the charge for another dash.

This is easiest if you change your weapon switches to 1-0 instead of the number pad. This is faster than knuckles dashing, especially considering that you can use Assault Buster from time to time without losing your "gear".

Z-0 Ill try that and see if I can get it to work. I'll edit this post in a few minuets after I try it

Edit: Ok, for this method the jump instantly changes weapons instead of actually jumping. Does it matter what weapons I use? I dont understand what you mean by use a lobby action for a 4th jump. I thought the dashes can be done infinitely.
    Last edited by Random123; Jul 22, 2013 at 03:38 PM.

Hmm, I cant seem to get it to work. All it does is changes weapons really quickly. The second dash does not come out. Can lag or input delay prevent this from working?

Quote Originally Posted by Z-0 View Post
    1. Switch your weapon and dash.
    2. Press jump at the end of the dash. This will cause the weapon to switch, because you cannot have a weapon cancel your dash, but jumping will cancel the dash.
    3. Dash again.
    4. Jump again and dash immediately afterwards for a third dash.

Optional: Use a lobby action when you switch your weapon for a fourth dash in the middle of it. You can also use charge PAs and cancel them during the charge for another dash.

This is easiest if you change your weapon switches to 1-0 instead of the number pad. This is faster than knuckles dashing, especially considering that you can use Assault Buster from time to time without losing your "gear".
    Update: Ok I'm just using the default layout here so everyone will see the inputs.

INPUT 1: Numb pad 1 + Numb pad 2
    INPUT 2: X
    INPUT 3: Space bar
    --------> INPUT 1, then INPUT 2, then INPUT 3 = One dash cancel.

-numb pad 1 and 2 can be pressed together to switch between weapons. It auto selects the unequipped weapon.

With this method I can only do 3 dash cancels and no more. I don't know the reason why yet. How do I go about looping the sequence? 3 dashes does me no good. I need to be able to travel with it.

EDIT:
    I also tried step attack canceling with the universal knuckles on Hunter. I dont know if I'm moving any faster than run speed but this is the only thing I got to work so far.

Press "ww", hold left click (until you get to where your going), then press "ww" every time as soon as you see the Just Attack ring appear.
    Last edited by Random123; Jul 22, 2013 at 10:07 PM.