Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default "Quick Guide" to New Photon Arts

Here's a run-down on the new Photon Arts, a translation of their descriptions and what they actually do.

Sword: Guilty Break
    In-Game Description: Cross over to a faraway enemy in one burst and follow up with a slash. Can be charged up to two levels.
    PP Cost: 30
    Comments: This is the sword's gap closer. It's disappointing that it has two levels of charge like Ride Slasher, but unlike Ride Slasher it can cover some distance when uncharged. You can't travel with this because the first hit will bounce you backwards and you can't cancel out of it. Charging increases power and distance traveled. Gear decreases charge time.
    Trivia: The animation has you run at "high speed". If you were to release this mid-air, you will end up running on thin air.

Wired Lances: Wild Round
    In-Game Description: From a still position, constantly extend the Wired Lances to generate a mass of consecutive attacks at the target.
    PP Cost: 28
    Comments: Can be guard canceled. Hits 6 times and generates a lot of gear. It's hitbox is a rectangular Cuboid, with the character near the center. This allows you to hit enemies coming from all directions. Strongest non-holding Wired Lance Photon Art.

Partisan: Sacred Skewer
    In-Game Description: Send your weapon into the air, calling down a spear of photons from heaven to pierce the target location.
    PP Cost: 35
    Comments: What if they gave Partisans Zonde? Well, this is it. Gear seems to increase the splash range to make it bigger than Zonde. Also seems to increase damage dealt.
    Trivia: Sacred Skewer has a bug which gives it infinite range. Absolutely anything you can keep a lock on can be hit by it. Thus, you can use it to break Dark Falz Elder's arms after they've already retracted, assuming you already have lock-on. Also, it's the only partisan photon art that has it's damage increased by gear.

Twin Daggers: Bloody Sarabande
    In-Game Description: With a spin, generate several consecutive slash waves.
    Comments: Good damage, provides enough just guard frames (like Orchestra), and has a nice horizontal range. It's pretty much your go-to PA if you have no idea how to dagger (or think they are too weak), or have to use them to complete Client Orders.

Double Saber: Deadly Circle
    In-Game Description: A throwing Double Saber Photon Art that can cover all directions. Charge to increase damage.
    Comments: It's Deadly Archer gone 360 degrees. That's pretty much all you need to know.

Knuckles: Backhand Smash
    In-Game Description: Muster all the strength in your body, delivering an all-powerful internal strike that can down anything.
    PP Cost: 45
    Comments: You thought Knuckles had bad range? Well, this is worse. Like the description, you literally have to be able to reach into the opponent for Backhand Smash to connect. Other than that, it's pretty much a 45-pp Over End that gets straight to the strongest hit.
    Trivia: The Japanese discourage the use of this Photon Art when fighting Dark Falz Elder because the damage potential makes it too easy to deliver more damage than necessary to break his arms.

Gunslash: Kreisenschlag
    In-Game Description: Using the Gunslash's special traits, slash while shooting to create a devastating absolute-kill attack.
    PP Cost: 32
    Comments: Phantasy Star Zero players, this is Bullet Dance. Despite it's description, it only uses Ranged Attack stat for damage. Shoots 5 times, with each shot being as powerful as one shot from Additional Bullet. However, it takes a bit longer to execute..

Assault Rifles: Parallel Slider
    In-Game Description: Perform an evasive movement while delivering a clip of bullets.
    PP Cost: 32
    Comments: Leap to the left/right/back while shooting. The direction of the leap is controlled similar to the Twin Machinegun's Stylish Roll, and during this Photon Art you get a rate of fire similar to One Point (but doesn't shoot as many times because it doesn't last as long). Covers a good distance (as much as Mirage Escape, but obviously faster) and can be used to evade something like Quartz Dragon.

Launcher: Flame Bullet
    In-Game Description: Set a special cartridge in your Launcher to shoot out a continuous stream of fire.
    Comments: Hold (not mash) the Photon Art button to increase duration. This is basically One Point with less range and and more power (because Launchers have more power). You can cancel out of it with Dive Roll if you have to.

Twin Machinegun: Heel Stab (yes it's Stab not Stamp)
    In-Game Description: Building up significant momentum, deliver a heel drop. Charge to add a follow-up attack.
    PP Cost: 20
    Comments: The follow up attack on this is particularly strong. A powerful close-range attack which can approach and kill bigger mobs (but not bosses).

Fire Technics: Na Foie
    In-Game Description: High level Fire element Technic. Shoot a condensed ball of fire which causes flames to arise from the area of impact.
    Comments: A pretty strong Fire Technic with normal charge time of 1 second. It's targeting and trajectory is similar to that of Stun Grenade.

Ice Technics: Na Barta
    In-Game Description: High level Ice element Technic. Release a constant stream of chilling air.
    PP Cost: 34
    Comments: Can't be charged, doesn't seem to deliver enough damage and can't be used from range via Talis. You have to hold the button to keep the stream active. PP drain rate is approximately 5 PP a second. It works if you want to freeze Vol with it, but other than that it's really just not worth it.

Lightning Technics: Na Zonde
    In-Game Description: High level Lightning element Technic. Charge yourself with electricity and release it into your surroundings as a powerful electric field. Mash button to increase released electricity.
    Comments. Can be charged, but doesn't charge Wand Gear. Cannot be cancelled and you can be flinched out of it. Lasts for 8 seconds, but otherwise it's decently strong.

Wind Technics: Zanverse
    In-Game Description: Beginner level Wind element Technic. Create a controlled field of highly concentrated photons that delivers supplementary Wind element attacks.
    PP Cost: 20
    Comments: Works well in combination with Zondeel. It is affected by Territory Burst and works like the opposite of Megiverse: Keep opponents inside, hit opponents to generate extra damage. Lasts 5 seconds when charged, 1.5 uncharged. It only works with technic damage and is affected by user's Wind Mastery skill. Generated hits are affected by weakspot and weak bullet multipliers, but that's a bug and will be fixed soon :< .

Light Technics: Na Grants
    In-Game Description: High level Light element Technic. Create an extremely dense sphere of light which automatically reacts to intruders.
    PP Cost: 40
    Comments: Lasts for 6 seconds when charged and 2 seconds when uncharged. Very good for flinching enemies and works in conjunction with Zondeel, but it is not affected by Territory Burst.

Dark Technics: Na Megid
    In-Game Description: High level Dark element Technic. Constantly condense photons into a specific point to release an extremely powerful explosion.
    PP Cost: 60
    Comments: Over End for Forces. Has 3 stages of charge and takes 5 seconds for max charge. Similar to Rafoie that it is released at the target point. Requires line of sight to begin charging, but does not require line of sight to continue charging/release. Works best with charge PP revival.
    Trivia: The rune on Na Megid is written in the game's alphabet (in english) and can be read. The lines are apparently all from Macbeth:
    • "Double, double, toil and trouble, Fire burn and cauldron bubble."
    • "Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow, creeps in this petty pace from day to day, to the last syllable of recorded time; and all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death."
    • "I go, and it is done; the bell invites me. Hear it not, Duncan; for it is a knell that summons thee to heaven or to hell."

What do you think of the new photon arts?
    Last edited by Rien; Jul 30, 2013 at 02:35 AM.

I still need to play around with Bloody Sarabande I haven't found where the JG frames come from I only got it recently didn't have enough time to play with it.

Sig by Gama

Mind giving them a rating? I'd like to know if they are useful or not in comparison to the other PAs of the same type.
    Ship: 10
    Player ID & IGN: Lucere

I can't rate all of them because I don't main all the weapons to actually know which is good vs the others in the same category. Plus something like, say, Sacred Skewer is completely different from Slide End/Assault Buster because Sacred Skewer is actually a ranged attack.

my slide end lv15 does the same as my sacred skewer lv9 and in the time it takes to charge and use SE once i can get off 2-3 JAed SS from a longer range, i have no idea how it compares to Assault buster(mines only lv 7) but unless i need the larger AOE + knockdown of slide end my go to PA for spear is Sacred skewer

You mean i can shoot MACBETH at people?!?!

wow that is cool....
    "A good job is a constant pileup of many much simpler tasks being done well."

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine2009 View Post
    my slide end lv15 does the same as my sacred skewer lv9 and in the time it takes to charge and use SE once i can get off 2-3 JAed SS from a longer range, i have no idea how it compares to Assault buster(mines only lv 7) but unless i need the larger AOE + knockdown of slide end my go to PA for spear is Sacred skewer
    What. I'm pretty sure slide end/assault buster 15 hit a lot harder than sacred skewer 10.

I have a diggnutz pillar +10 (777 att) and my sacred skewer 10 hits 2.3k x3.

Quote Originally Posted by Blundy View Post
    You mean i can shoot MACBETH at people?!?!

wow that is cool....
    No, you don't "shoot" macbeth at things. You make Macbeth explosions.

let me go test it again then, i could have just been seein things~
    also just checkin, but you do have gear when you are using SS right? unlike other spear PAs it raises damage in addition to bigger AOE

just tested it again, damage per use is about the same
    5.8-6k on slide end 15
    1.8-2k x3 on sacred 9
    using a chrome spear +10 as a HU/FI

Yes, I am using gear.