Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down XBOX One is dead to me now.

If you thought that last 180 Microsoft did on the Xbox One not too long ago was enough to make you pre-order, well you might have to reconsider because you're in for a real shocker.

http://playeressence.com/xbox-live-g...-for-xbox-one/

I am not paying $60/year for Netlfix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
    Nintendo Switch: 5668-1176-9106

As far as I know, that list looks just like the one for the XBox 360. I've been perfectly fine with XBox Live Silver on the 360, since I don't do multiplayer online and don't use the extras (also I spend too much time PC gaming to make it worth it).

As long as the XBox shop for DLC and similar is available to non-Gold, I don't see why it is an issue.

I am disappointed, but not surprised that they hide stuff behind the Gold subscription. I was hoping many things being free on the PS3 would have pushed them to have some features open to all that are internet connected- like Netflix.
    Last edited by Ketchup345; Aug 24, 2013 at 04:47 PM.

$60 a year honestly isn't that bad and if you actually use a good amount of those features, it's a pretty good deal. But most gamers are only gonna buy it for the multiplayer and it's kind of shitty to lock that behind a single pay wall where you have to pay for all that other shit too. Bundling has been around forever in cable companies and such, so it's no surprise, but that is a bit shitty.

It certainly has nothing on Playstation Plus, in my opinion. And this isn't changing my decision whatsoever to completely ignore the Xbone.

Quote Originally Posted by CelestialBlade View Post
    $60 a year honestly isn't that bad and if you actually use a good amount of those features, it's a pretty good deal. But most gamers are only gonna buy it for the multiplayer and it's kind of shitty to lock that behind a single pay wall where you have to pay for all that other shit too. Bundling has been around forever in cable companies and such, so it's no surprise, but that is a bit shitty.

It certainly has nothing on Playstation Plus, in my opinion. And this isn't changing my decision whatsoever to completely ignore the Xbone.
    XBox Live has been charging for online play since it was launched on the original XBox (as far as I can research). I think the cost was originally $50/year, now it is $60, which means it was always roughly even to 1 new game a year. Most of those extras were bundled into the pay-per-year Gold level as they were added.

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchup345 View Post
    XBox Live has been charging for online play since it was launched on the original XBox (as far as I can research). I think the cost was originally $50/year, now it is $60, which means it was always roughly even to 1 new game a year. Most of those extras were bundled into the pay-per-year Gold level as they were added.
    That's probably why I thought this was different somehow; I'm familiar with it being $50/year. Again, still not bad, but any complaint I'd have with it would be more directed at the marketing process of bundling rather than Microsoft itself.

I just always liked the benefits you get out of PS+ better and it seemed like it was a nicer deal for players. You get access to a lot of very cool downloads as part of PS+ and it seems more worth the money between the two subscriptions.

Quote Originally Posted by CelestialBlade View Post
    That's probably why I thought this was different somehow; I'm familiar with it being $50/year. Again, still not bad, but any complaint I'd have with it would be more directed at the marketing process of bundling rather than Microsoft itself.
    They raised the price of XBox Live Gold from $50 to $60 in summer 2010.

If the internet browser is any good most of the apps on that list will most likely be redundant anyway

"Of their own accord" Enforcer MKV's Avatar
    Somewhere, being an old man again, apparently.

Xbox One isn't a game console, it's an entertainment system that happens to play games on it. That being said, I'm not interested in any of their exclusives except for Halo, so sadly I was be missing out on Halo for a while, I think.

---Removed---
    Last edited by Ketchup345; Aug 25, 2013 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Don't need to turn this into a PC/Console war
    Enforcer MkX [TE/RA]: Critically injured
    Violet MkV [BR/HU]: On active duty

I'll probably get a PS4 with my tax return this year. Not interested in the Xbox One at all, no matter what Microsoft does at this point.

Community Manager Cyron Tanryoku's Avatar

Knack turned out to be a shitty game so I'm gonna hold off on PS4 for awhile

Maybe a year or two in hopes of a price drop