Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

There's no such thing as a "rape culture". There are, however, cultures where rape happens. Which, is to say, all of them.

Do we live in a "murder culture", too? How about a "theft culture"? An "assault culture"? "Embezzlement culture"?

It becomes part of the culture when you begin to accept as a normal occurrence. When it becomes an expected event. Ie. If a girl wears clothing that shows skin, she is asking for it. We hear similar things like this all the time, and we expect it to be so... and this is where the trap lays in. We should not be expecting this at all, no person should be assaulted because of they happen to wear... it is unjustifiable.

And as to the the article, and the perception of maturity versus actual age... this has no bearing in the word of the law. The victim can have a phd, a doctorate, highest IQ ever, could be a natural flirt, could have been no longer a virgin, it DOES NOT MATTER! The victim is still a MINOR. No matter how mature you are, you are bound by the laws of the nation you live in.

Furthermore, even if she was not innocent, even if she did lead him on as another poster is trying to infer, it does not negate the laws set in place by the society we happen to live in.

We often forget that we as human beings, are allowed to CHANGE our minds. Let us run a scenario where the victim may have led the rapist on, the minute, the second, the victim no longer wants anything to do with that person... that is where it has to stop. It must stop.

And yes, we do live in a "murder cutlure", "theft culture", and "assault culture" but unlike "rape culture" those other ones do get more consequences handed out (aka punishment befitting the crimes).

Quote Originally Posted by Scejntjynahl View Post
    Ok, I will bite. What are you implying?
    That a CNN reporter has trouble referring to the incident as anything other than "rape" in the broadest possible sense. To make a comparison, that's like Fox News having trouble calling Obama's actions anything worse than "disappointing". Without any additional details, it should default to "statutory rape", as in, the victim can't legally consent at all. Yet implying that the victim could have had any control over anything is, by default, "out of touch", and makes you fail as a human being. Even though rape shouldn't be quantified by age or gender, in which case, who really knows who raped whom?

As I said before, nobody here knows anything about the criminal or victim. Like, literally nobody who posted in this topic knows any thing whatsoever about what exactly happened, aside from the fact that rape did take place. Yet the guy is automatically a monster oppressor of womanhood everywhere. And so is the judge, but at least he apologized:
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon to Resign
    "I made some references to the victim's age and control," he told KTVQ. "I'm not sure just what I was attempting to say at that point, but it didn't come out correct. What I said was demeaning to all women, not what I believe in and irrelevant to the sentencing."
    THAT is the biggest load of crud I will ever/read hear about. Though I bet PSO2 subforum will be happy to prove me wrong, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Scejntjynahl View Post
    If a girl wears clothing that shows skin, she is asking for it.... no person should be assaulted because of they happen to wear... it is unjustifiable.
    I've never even heard anyone seriously say this in a context where they mean it, so I'm still not seeing the 'culture' part of it. No one "expects" these things to happen as a 'normal occurrence'. Where are you even getting that?

Besides, if that's what we're going by, then every single place in the world is a 'rape culture', except maybe Vatican City (err...well, maybe not). Because, there's sick fucks all over the planet. Doesn't mean people 'expect' it because "it happens". It's the laws of probability. Eventually, a sick piece of shit will see a woman, or man, and then feel so inclined and attempt to commit an atrocity upon them. Still doesn't make it a 'culture', let alone accepted. That's just utter lunacy. I've never heard the word 'culture' used in the context in which you're presently using it.

i don't know about anyone else i preferred this thread when people were talking about dismembering a rapist

this whole "rape culture" thing physically pains me, because not only do we very plainly not live in a rape culture, but we very plainly do live in a political manipulation culture where bribes and connections of the wealthy elite far outweigh the people in actual need of assistance - and all you fucking "rape culture" fucks decide to get wadded up over the fad of the month buzzword instead of actual reality

as said: there's no more of a "rape culture" than there is a "murder culture," "theft culture," so on and so forth

meanwhile, the fucking NSA over there is noting who's naughty and nice and you fuckers couldn't give less of a fuck if you were paid to

Whoa why is this topic back o_o

I was going to follow-up, but uh...no. All I'm seeing is arguing over completely superficial concepts and people having to be right about everything, so I don't see that going anywhere useful. All I'll say is, I read recently from a couple of sources that 1 in 10 young men in the US have admitted to committing or being involved in an act of sexual abuse, and it does not goddamn matter what terms you give it or whether you know the exact details of the situation, something in this culture needs to change. I won't say we really accept the concept, but it is seen as far more inconsequential than it should be.

NSA sucks too, I don't see anyone disagreeing with that.

Yeah, and unless those 1 in 10 men are here you're preaching to the choir.

Rape is bad. Obviously. Yelling that you dislike rape louder than someone else doesn't mean they like it, it means you're yelling louder about it. That's how I see this "rape culture" phenomenon that's been permeating its stink throughout the internet and, disappointingly, the real world. People latch onto some uninspired, thoughtless buzzword and carry it with them like some disgusting smelling cheese that nobody wants to try but them. And since they stink more than everyone else they decide that they - and only they - are true cheese aficionados. Everyone else is clearly a part of the anti-cheese culture. That is how people who say "rape culture" behave.

It disgusts me. No, rape is not okay, but it's also not okay to get so outrageously up in arms as so many people do without even paying attention to what you're getting up in arms over in the first place. It's especially not okay to do that when there's very bluntly an actual cultural apathy regarding something of actual consequence to a seriously large portion of its own self. I promise you that if you were to go out onto the street you'd hear the same people say rape is bad, then go on to say they can't do anything about the government's very real and growing surveillance on its own citizens.

This circles back to that post I made in the bullshit thread about people being so used to everything they can readily see having validity that they just let everything in and run with it.

Isn't that "divide and conquer"? People are busy fighting wars on social injustices that well-funded organizations spread the word about, while the government is given a breathing room to do what it wants. Everyone's happy, barely anyone will even notice or care that their every word is recorded and evaluated when there's a new kind of inequality and privilege to destroy every day. And if someone does care too much, they can be pacified with a trip to gitmo.

Quote Originally Posted by gigawuts View Post
    I promise you that if you were to go out onto the street you'd hear the same people say rape is bad, then go on to say they can't do anything about the government's very real and growing surveillance on its own citizens.
    The thing is a lot of the people who say rape is bad are thinking about the violent thug in an alleyway type of rape and not just any kind of non consensual sex.

Also what's your plan for dealing with the NSA situation?

Quote Originally Posted by .Rusty. View Post
    The thing is a lot of the people who say rape is bad are thinking about the violent thug in an alleyway type of rape and not just any kind of non consensual sex.
    This is an odd claim to make. It's almost like you're digging for ways to be oppressed.

Also what's your plan for dealing with the NSA situation?
    This is even more interesting. What exactly are you getting at with this question?

Bear in mind that any intent can, and likely will, be met with an equally posited question: What's your plan for dealing with rape culture?