EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

Default Uncle Phil (James Avery) Passes away at 68 years of age

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/01/showbi...es-avery-obit/

Actor James Avery, who played the beloved Uncle Phil on the hit 1990s sitcom "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air," has died, his publicist said Wednesday. He was 68.

The cause of death was complications from open-heart surgery, said his manager, Toni Benson. Avery had surgery on November 11 and died Tuesday evening at a hospital in Glendale, California, according to Benson.
    Dang, I'm sad now. I loved him when he played Uncle Phil, and that will always stick with me. I'm really sad to hear he passed.

Saw this earlier, shitty way to start the year. RIP Uncle Phil, we all loved movin in with our auntie and uncle in Bel-Air.

I legit cried.

Also Shredder's VA in the original TMNT.

Quote Originally Posted by CelestialBlade View Post
    Saw this earlier, shitty way to start the year. RIP Uncle Phil, we all loved movin in with our auntie and uncle in Bel-Air.
    TEEEEEECHNICALLY, he died on the 31st, so, at least it's not actually starting the year off on a terrible note.

I'd wager most of us here either grew up watching Fresh Prince of Bel-Air or caught it in endless syndication over the years, and that's probably where most of us know him from (aside from his TMNT run as Shredder.) Great talent with a distinct voice (featured in a lot of VO work), and one of the few actors that could work with Will Smith and not have scenes fall flat. Really a bummer he's gone.

Cold as winter, guns of summer. Point and watch them run.
    Which PSO-W Member Are You?

Yeah, this feels like an actual loss. He was a pretty great father figure - firm, disciplined, but also compassionate and caring; even at the same time. More than one episode hit fairly close to home largely because of him.

Damn, I loved that show as a kid and I always thought he was pretty cool as uncle Phil. He did the the of War Machine in the Iron Man cartoon as well I think. This really sucks.
    PSO2 Characters

Kais (Male CAST) Ship 9 Hu62 Fi46 Ra53 Gu65 Fo6 Te1 Br36
    Lilith Reiger (Female Deuman) Ship 9 Hu42 Fi1 Ra1 Gu1 Fo20 Te45 Br56

Are we alive or just breathing?

In honor of James Avery, tonight, I dine on turtle soup with pillowly mounds of mashed potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Atbar View Post
    In honor of James Avery, tonight, I dine on turtle soup with pillowly mounds of mashed potatoes.
    And...tiny onions!

Cold as winter, guns of summer. Point and watch them run.
    Which PSO-W Member Are You?