View Poll Results: Which major should I choose?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Music

1 20.00%
  • Fine Arts

1 20.00%
  • Journalism

1 20.00%
  • Paralegal

2 40.00%

Default Choose a college program for me

Hi everyone, sorry for not coming back to the site sooner.

I wanted to ask (especially those with a major in each of these) which major should I choose for an Associate's Degree?

Everyone seems to think that any kind of artistic degree (literature, music, art, etc.) is career suicide, so I'm sure you won't get many votes for those.

How about the one for which you enjoy the most?

"Brotherhood asked for no friendship, only loyalty. They stood back to back as the galaxy burned - always brothers, never friends; traitors together unto the last."

Flying high in the sky with a fly in your eye.

Try fine arts. Nice general subject there. Oh, and I LOVE your name.
    'All tales end in tragedy. Follow the hero long enough, you'll step across his corpse.'
    Survivor of TWO live Gwar performances.

Pick one and broaden out to something sort of related. This is tech driven world run by computers and other stuff so u need to make sure u get a job that both satifies u enough and brings in the money. Cost of living ain't gonna get any cheaper.

I would choose paralegal. But why not take a step further and become that lawyer that's assisted.
    PSO2 - Ship 2
    HU 65 / FI 24 / RA 60 / GU 65 / FO 65 / TE 65 / BR 12

It's a really difficult thing for any of us to suggest to you. You ultimately have to balance out something you desire and are driven to work for with something that's going to give you a return on investment. It's not just "this major is better so do it". It's gotta be something you're driven to succeed with, and only you really know the answer to that. An advisor at your school can provide you with a lot of great resources to get you started.

And don't think you're ever "locked" into any one major. You can always change if things aren't working out.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BIG OLAF View Post
    Everyone seems to think that any kind of artistic degree (literature, music, art, etc.) is career suicide, so I'm sure you won't get many votes for those.
    Mostly because it is. If you're going for any kind of literary degree, make sure it's like a minor or something. If your goal is a large income, do not do arts. If you want it as a hobby or something you love doing on the side, then have it as a secondary.

Would you be going for a B.S. or B.A. degree after you get your Associates?

For the Music, would it be industry, recording, performance, or teaching focused?

Responding (sorry for the last response...)

Quote Originally Posted by BIG OLAF View Post
    Music can't be career suicide because there will always be work for it (even in todays steal every mp3 from the Internet culture)

Quote Originally Posted by AC9breaker View Post
    How about the one for which you enjoy the most?
    With all the things that are going on in someone's life, you'd be surprised how many jobs ppl do for money that they HATE.

Because they can't be entrepreneurial & stuff, doing what they like on the side every so often.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue-Hawk View Post
    Try fine arts. Nice general subject there. Oh, and I LOVE your name.
    Fine arts, yep. That's good.
    Thanks for the compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by Emp View Post
    Pick one and broaden out to something sort of related. This is tech driven world run by computers and other stuff so u need to make sure u get a job that both satisfies u enough and brings in the money. Cost of living ain't gonna get any cheaper.

I would choose paralegal. But why not take a step further and become that lawyer that's assisted.
    Do paralegals have to always work under lawyers though?
    I got the tech down pretty good, helpful advice.

Quote Originally Posted by CelestialBlade View Post
    It's a really difficult thing for any of us to suggest to you. You ultimately have to balance out something you desire and are driven to work for with something that's going to give you a return on investment. It's not just "this major is better so do it". It's gotta be something you're driven to succeed with, and only you really know the answer to that. An advisor at your school can provide you with a lot of great resources to get you started.

And don't think you're ever "locked" into any one major. You can always change if things aren't working out.
    The advisors are ummm not helpful enough then to say 'take this class' but maybe that's just how I react and interact with them????

Advice is always good, i like it. So which of those choices did you vote for?

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Vordex View Post
    Mostly because it is. If you're going for any kind of literary degree, make sure it's like a minor or something. If your goal is a large income, do not do arts. If you want it as a hobby or something you love doing on the side, then have it as a secondary.
    There are so many millionaires who started in something and just fell into something else. And got lucky.
    At this point in my life, i'll do something for the money. Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchup345 View Post
    Would you be going for a B.S. or B.A. degree after you get your Associates?

For the Music, would it be industry, recording, performance, or teaching focused?
    Not sure on the B.S./BA yet.
    Music... industry or recording. Don't want to perform. Don't want to teach.