Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Welp, I've pretty much figured out how kana works in 1 afternoon! Surprisingly it was crazy easy!

Quote Originally Posted by tuxdude143 View Post
    Welp, I've pretty much figured out how kana works in 1 afternoon! Surprisingly it was crazy easy!
    Now you just need to play PSO2 without the English patch, and all of that newly-learned katakana will become long term memory.

Congrats on being able to understand the majority of Japanese games now.
    Quit PSO2

Quote Originally Posted by Gardios View Post
    I hope you're also learning stroke ordeeeeeeeeeer...
    Would that really matter if you're just reading it on a video game? I'd imagine not.

A friend of mine got me to try learning the language with him for fun, without classes, and just from available textbooks and online resources. I learned Hiragana and Katakana in less than a week, it's pretty easy. I ended up stopping after a month, mostly because language learning isn't really my thing, but my friend continued, and according to him, Kanji is also pretty easy if you actually want to learn the language. From my experience for the month I tried learning, the difficult part is grammar, since it's pretty different from English, but it's all about getting used to it apparently.
    Phantasy Star Lore Whore/ARKS Layer Discord Mod
    カレン (Zysets)- PSO2JP
    Karen - Clementine

Learning another language isn't difficult, so much as tedious. There's lots of work. Think about it: For every word you know, you need to learn a new word.

That adds up fast. The initial learning curve is also usually steep - look at all of the words I've used in this post. Even if I used super simple and common words, I'd still have to have learned the basics before I could even begin - "the," "I," even "language." I'd need to know the basics of grammar and sentence structure, too.

When you get over the first few steps, the rest flows fairly easily. Then it's just a matter of staying with it.

The only reason any of us think learning a language is hard is because either A. we took a language in highschool and hated it, which meant we did badly, or B. we haven't tried.

I can't write Japanese by hand whatsoever. Not even katakana. I'm sure I could learn how, but I don't have any use for it. Unless I write it on a regular basis, I would just end up forgetting it. I can read and type Japanese well enough to play PSO2 at least.

I used to know a considerable amount of Spanish but then I didn't use it for many years and forgot everything. Use it or lose it.
    Quit PSO2

Yeah that was my issue, I wasn't as dedicated to it as my friend. He actually wanted to learn the language, while I really had to real need or want to learn it. It's definitely about dedication.

I've actually had mixed results learning several languages in school. I lived in an area that had german, and breezed through that so easily that it was the easiest A I'd had in years.

Then I moved to an area that didn't have german available, so I took spanish. At 7 AM. I wanted to take german. I didn't want to learn spanish. That went very, very badly.

Clearly, I was capable of learning another language; I just needed to give a slight fuck. If you care it is much easier.

I'm in a Spanish course at my school right now, have been for the past 3 years, and let me tell you something, I'm bilingual and speak English and Spanish, but the textbook Spanish and the Spanish I've used throughout life can be really different at times. Fluency is also a lot about actually talking to people and learning the spoken language. It can be difficult if you have no one to practice with that already knows the language fairly well.

Quote Originally Posted by Inazuma View Post
    Now you just need to play PSO2 without the English patch, and all of that newly-learned katakana will become long term memory.

Congrats on being able to understand the majority of Japanese games now.
    Thank you very much! Here's hoping I can understand it all.