Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default New cpu/laptop for pso2?

Hello, my last laptop I was using is kinda broken now so I was wondering if anyone could give me some friendly advice on a new computer or laptop (I prefer laptop) I should buy that can play pso2 nicely. I don't really have much money right now so something under $1000 is ideal. Right now I'm looking at 2 laptops from jb hifi (Dell W560901AU Inspiron 15" Notebook, snd TOSHIBA SATELLITE L50T-A01R 15.6" NOTEBOOK( I just copied the names from the page)), and am wondering if they will run pso2 okay or at all and if they are decent laptops. Any advice is appreciated.

Notes
    -I'm not very smart please go easy on me
    -I use to run it on a HP Compaq Presario so my standards aren't great
    -Also sorry for the post if its not meant to be here, I just joined, and yeah..not very smart.
    Pso2-Ship10

ダーク ファルス 【守護者】

You can save a lot of money buying a Desktop PC, rather building one.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

I cannot vouch for how well those laptops would run games, because of them being integrated graphics. I would look for one with a dedicated graphics card.

Integrated means that the graphics are just what's needed, and they're directly on the motherboard. Youtube videos, display, etc.

Dedicated are their own physical cards with their own processing power. The problem with this in a laptop, is that these are generally MUCH more expensive.

I would definitely go the route of building a desktop computer, if possible. If you can reuse some things from an older computer (decent flatscreen monitor, keyboard and mouse, basically stuff that isn't IN the tower) you can build you a budget gaming build. I spent around $700 for my tower, and I can still run games pretty well (meaning 30-60 fps on current gen games with medium to high settings, and even better on most older games) especially just after upgrading my video card. This tower is 3-4 years old. Building something now would still give you great longevity, especially with other games.

However, if you're intent on getting a laptop, I'd recommend getting a laptop that just doesn't have the Intel graphics. Those are known to be garbage.

I have Acer 4752G (Nvidia GT630m 1GB). This is known to be a budget and mid-gaming laptop. Cost me around $500 when brand new. It's 2 years old now and it can play PSO2 well. I said well because it can handle up to mid settings. If you much cheaper option, I can recommend a good 2nd hand laptop or a desktop.

(Thinking about that, I've found a 2nd hand high-end gaming laptop (Asus G750 I think) for only $600, but ended up buying brand new laptop anyway)
    遠山Kinji [Ship 2]
    GU/RA - 65/65

HU 45 / FI 45 / FO 45 / TE 47 / BR 45

is ur usage going to be mobile? if not i dont see a need to have a laptop and i would rather u use the money to build a DIY desktop

I wouldn't say my usage is going to be overly mobile, I kinda got used to having my laptop in one place when its battery died but I guess I like the option of being able to move it around. The main reasons I prefer laptop is probably the hdmi for movies, I normally have them somewhere more comfortable then a desk, and I kinda like the flat keyboards they generally have (but I'm sure you could buy one for a desktop anyway).
    An acquaintance of mine also suggest I make my own desktop but I still don't really understand all of that. I just prefer simpler things I guess, the only game I play often is pso2, or sometimes rpg maker games, so pso2 is probably the only thing that I'm worried about working. Apart from that my laptop was used for music and movies really so I still kinda unsure on building a desktop. But the ideas are kinda helping.
    Thanks for all posts so far, everyone.
    Pso2-Ship10

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

Building a computer is fairly easy, once you understand what goes into it.

aka legos are amazing.

After some thought, I think I'm just going to go with a laptop for the time being. Please don't think I'm ignoring opinions, It's just more suited to me 'right now', considering how often I do use my hdmi for movies and such, (my university also has some nice internet that I would't mind using seeing pso2 updates kill my horrible net). After hearing some opinions I more than likely will end up trying to build a desktop after I get some spare money, I'm just kinda rushed for time now to do something I know little about.

All that being said, I had a guy at jbhifi checkout the requirements for pso2 and show me laptops that could run it, the best for close to $1000 being a toshiba for $1100 (on sale from 1300), which he said should do fairly high in graphics but probably not max. So I asked about what he uses, and he said what he has runs stuff like skyrim at maximum and several other games smooth without dropping frame rate at all,which is basically the next graphics card up from that toshiba. So I just asked if they sell anything with the same graphics card, and so yeah he showed me a alienware which he said had the same.

If I remember right it was: 16gb ram, 750gb hard drive, quad core(I think), 2gb graphics memory and so on for $1830 (normally costs a bit more, sale price and some extra off for me). He thinks it would do well and I believe that, but before I use money that I really don't have (literally need 200-400 depending on my pay this week) but I want to know if people here agree it will be okay (or good even). So can I please get some good feedback about this?

(Sorry for not being overly sure on the model but I think it was a Alienware M14XR3 14" Notebook (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M) I might go back and check this. And very sorry for the long dreary paragraphs and that its about laptops which alot of people don't like from what I've seen... Thanks for your time and patience..
    Pso2-Ship10

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuro View Post
    After some thought, I think I'm just going to go with a laptop for the time being. Please don't think I'm ignoring opinions, It's just more suited to me 'right now', considering how often I do use my hdmi for movies and such, (my university also has some nice internet that I would't mind using seeing pso2 updates kill my horrible net). After hearing some opinions I more than likely will end up trying to build a desktop after I get some spare money, I'm just kinda rushed for time now to do something I know little about.

All that being said, I had a guy at jbhifi checkout the requirements for pso2 and show me laptops that could run it, the best for close to $1000 being a toshiba for $1100 (on sale from 1300), which he said should do fairly high in graphics but probably not max. So I asked about what he uses, and he said what he has runs stuff like skyrim at maximum and several other games smooth without dropping frame rate at all,which is basically the next graphics card up from that toshiba. So I just asked if they sell anything with the same graphics card, and so yeah he showed me a alienware which he said had the same.

If I remember right it was: 16gb ram, 750gb hard drive, quad core(I think), 2gb graphics memory and so on for $1830 (normally costs a bit more, sale price and some extra off for me). He thinks it would do well and I believe that, but before I use money that I really don't have (literally need 200-400 depending on my pay this week) but I want to know if people here agree it will be okay (or good even). So can I please get some good feedback about this?

(Sorry for not being overly sure on the model but I think it was a Alienware M14XR3 14" Notebook (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M) I might go back and check this. And very sorry for the long dreary paragraphs and that its about laptops which alot of people don't like from what I've seen... Thanks for your time and patience..
    Thats a bit too much for that laptop, there are better deals on newegg and amazon for lesser if you look around.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuro View Post

I'm not well versed in Alienware *coughoverpriceddelljunkcough*, but does this look like the laptop?

If so, I bet you could do better, at a lower cost point with something from ibuypower.
    Upgrade the CPU (4810mq), RAM (16GB), and HDD (1TB, 7200rpm) and if I'm not mistaken, your looking at a better laptop in almost every way (Lol, screen size) than that M14XR3, at a pricepoint of $1160 (+S/H, +Tax, -$100 MIR)

Now, I don't really know how this will run PSO2, and if your thinking of a different Alienware model this may be different.
    But I'm just trying to show you that Alienware doesn't give you a good performance:price ratio.

----------

IMO, build a PC. It's literally as simple as "Screw motherboard into case, insert X item into X Slot. Repeat tilll done."
    Unless you have problems fitting shapes into slots; then you are good to go.

Desktops give you more power per price than laptops. They are easily (and fully) upgradable, along with not suffering nearly as easily from overheating as laptops are.

If the key factor is that you want to watch movies by connecting an HDMI cable to your TV;
    Just get a tablet that can handle 1080p video with HDMI out (Then you can also play PSO2es!). Or use some sort of box that can connect to your TV to output your movie collection. Whether its a Roku, a Boxee, or whatever.
    One of these solutions will probably run you what, an extra $100~300? But you will probably save that much or more by building a desktop yourself rather than buying a pre-made laptop, especially from an overpriced brand like Alienware.

But, its your money; and what your comfortable with (build vs buy) (desktop vs laptop). So in the end you have to make the decision for yourself.
    Last edited by musicmf; Apr 24, 2014 at 02:59 AM. Reason: disabled emotes