Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Play for fun, but don't want to be a burden.

I am total newbie to this Phantasy Online thingy, tried out playing PS02 SEA version last week, and really like the gameplay, features and customizations. So I started planning out my character's build, by readings a lot of great guides on this forum.

I tried all 3 base classes to lv10, and find it really hard to pick one...I really wish to level and play all of them. Each of them has its own attraction and I find it fun trying different playstyles.
    - I really like playing hunter, constantly switching between halberd, sword and wired-lance fighting different enemies, that's so cool!
    - I like hunter which can shoot while moving/dodging, even has chargable PA that can crouch on ground shooting! Like the lock-on mode too.
    - Forcer is like futuristic magi, combines magic with technology; I like how spells will behave differently when charged vs non-charged and blinking out of danger when fighting out big bosses.

But I am now in a dilemma:
    I read a lot of posts in this forum, and through the guides, I understand that:
    1) Best, specialized in one playstyle/stat (like go full T-ATK or full S-ATK, best is never half-ass'ed).
    2) Best, go for pure stat mags.
    3) Specialized is always better than hybrid.
    4) The game although allows hybrid classes, but doesn't seems to make them optimal?/viable?

But...I really can't pick one...I am truly considering playing all with one character.

So here I am, asking you veterans:

I started out as Newman Female.
    Since I am playing all classes, I plan to make my mag balanced in all 4 stats: S-ATK, R-ATK, T-ATK & DEX.
    How gimped I will be if I go with this plan?

I am really not the min-max'ing type of player, I just want to have fun BUT, I do not want to be a burden/deadweight to whatever team/group either.
    So when I reach end-game, if my damage is just going to be, say, 10-20% lower, perhaps that isn't too big deal? I don't know...that's why I am asking.

Exactly how much difference will be the DPS/survivability if I go all-balanced hybrid instead of pure?

EDIT:
    BTW, reason I have DEX in my Mag's plan:
    - I wish to get Antlia's support ability (Status Clear A), so that means DEX must be highest at lv30.
    - Then I wish to get Leo's support ability (Buff E when PB Full), so that means I'll do 23/23/23/26 at lv95 (to lock the type), and make it 27/23/24/26 at lv100 -> evolves to Leo.
    - Finally, I wish to use Apus's Photon Blast Julius-Nifta all the time, I'll make 27/23/29/26 at lv105 -> change to Apus, and from then on keep T-ATK always 1 point more than the rest.
    Hope this explains
    Last edited by unknowngst; Jun 16, 2014 at 06:37 AM.

Are you the sickest dude? Lumpen Thingy's Avatar

don't make a mag like that.if you really want to play all classes you can play most of them within 2 characters without fucking up any of your stats with the right mags and trees

If you do that with your MAG you won't be able to equip the endgame weapons for just about every class. That's a pretty huge deal in DPS Star Online.

Furthermore, if you want your MAG to have specific abilities or photon blast, just buy them from the Excube shop once you get your hands on some.

The biggest thing with Mag stats is the ability to equip certain weapons. Sometimes this just means being able to equip something earlier, at other times it can be the difference between being able to equip a certain item or not even at max level. [*ninja'd*]
    If there's going to be a huge difference in damage, this will probably be the reason.

Otherwise, it's as you mentioned before, we do pure mags to Min/Max.
    Spoiler!

Overall going pure mag will probably give you the greatest DPS (+5~10%), but the damage isn't difference isn't going to have people yell "Your weak, get out of my Multiparty!"

The bigger issue would be making good skill trees for your classes, and getting good equipment and affixes for them.

-------

Oh, and don't pump Dex onto your Mag.
    You should also ignore that status effect clear trigger action, just wait out status effects or use a sol atomizer.
    The Status buff is similarly useless. If you really did need shifta, you could use the item to give you this buff. That way you get it when you need it instead of waiting for PB.
    Finally, use excubes to choose your Photon Blast when it's already lv100, don't tailor your mag to get the photon blast.

-------

If your server has 2 free character slots, then making a second character to split up your classes (so you can use 2 different mags) wouldn't be such a bad idea; like Lumpen mentioned.

Ah, I didn't know you can use X-Cube to choose Photon Blast...great, that saves a lot of trouble.

Looks like my current mag is screwed up...

I really don't feel like leveling a different character...I like one character unlocks all classes, and able to switch class anytime. I don't really mind a 10% dmg differences, but you guys are right, I will not be able to equip the highest tier weapons...
    Hmm...I have some AC left...guess what I'll do is: buy 3 mags, go pure stat for all of them, and equip S-ATK mag for melee, R-ATK for ranged, and T-ATK for tech. Will this work?

EDIT: Why no dex though? I see that almost every weapon type will have some weapons that require DEX instead of S/R/T-ATK.

EDIT2:
    1) I remembered stunned by some boss, and couldn't use any item/spell during that period. Isn't that why Mag's trigger action is useful? Or I am able to use "sol atomizer" (never seen one before yet) even when I am stunned?
    2) What are the recommended trigger actions I should get?
    Last edited by unknowngst; Jun 16, 2014 at 07:49 AM.

dex contributes to minimum damage of non rare weapons. rare weapons(7* and up) have a flat 90% minimum damage which is far higher than you can reasonable achieve with dex. end game you WILL be using rare weapons(and most likely far before then) so the only purpose dex serves is for the equip requirement of a handful of weapons that have equivalents that require standard attack or easily met through base stat alone defense.

Hit the beat, you beat! Vintasticvin's Avatar

Not sure if OP is still going to use the forums but here are my tips that will most likely enrage the purists. Just place 30 points on all attack attributes and once you have your combat style figured out just place the remaining points to main attack and probably boost your secondary to 35 or 40.

At your best with my layout you won't do too bad but you won't be doing good either but the good news is you can play most or all classes with ease.
    Last edited by Vintasticvin; Jun 16, 2014 at 08:24 AM.

Thanks alot everyone for your input, that helps me a lot.

And yes, of course I am still reading this thread

Bought 3 mags

Still need some hints on these questions:
    EDIT2:
    1) I remembered stunned by some boss, and couldn't use any item/spell during that period. Isn't that why Mag's trigger action is useful? Or I am able to use "sol atomizer" (never seen one before yet) even when I am stunned?

As Braver, I feel offended that you talk about 3 bases classes and not 4.
    Lol, jk.
    I can only recommend braver though, it's tons of fun.

Also, being too gimped is by itself not very fun.
    My damage is pathetic and it is kinda annoying to not get many kills cause I take 5 times longer >_>

I'd say just try your mag (without dex), the biggest problem will be being able to equip stuff later I guess.
    Not sure about endgame cause I'm not there yet but you can check if you can equip stuff with this:
    http://pso2-skill.pwnedgalaxy.net/skillcalc.php
    This will also let you simulate skill trees for all classes. note that most skills work if you are subclassing but some require thie class to be the main class.
    Also, sometimes sometimes it's better to go with a differen main class for the stats and use a weapon that can be equipped by all classes.
    For example Hunter has better stats than braver, so it's better to do it in this case (unless using Orochi).

More or less all info about pso2 is collected here:
    http://pso2.cirnopedia.info/

People tend to say don't waste a single skill point on survivability, just get good and dodge everything but that is nonsense. It takes a long time and the game is often really cheap (getting hit several times a second, dying while using mates, etc) and sometimes you only lose 10% or 15% damage when getting a big survivability boost.

OP plays on SEA servers - they don't have Braver yet and won't for a long time, I think. Or do they?

Anyway since OP already has a mag for each type, just use the S-Atk mag if you go katana braver, or the R-Atk mag if you go bullet bow.

Quote Originally Posted by unknowngst View Post
    Still need some hints on these questions:
    EDIT2:

You can't do anything while stunned, the only thing you can do is not to get hit in the first place.

I am a total plebe in terms of trigger actions so I mostly use HP Restore A and Revival A. Or did you mean Photon Blasts? Ketos Proi is the only good one where SEA stands now. Japanese servers upgraded damaging photon blasts to actually deal some good damage but once again, you won't see that for a while.