Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: IS IT AN MMO?

Default IS IT AN MMO?

NOTE: to avoid any more "Who fucking cares" or "Why does it matter" comments- This is for sake of conversation, any vulgar comments unrelated to providing views on the topic will be reported. Dont get your diapers in a bunch. Thank you!

Since so many want to discuss this, I'll post this question so, have fun without worrying about derailing.

I read many views and I have to say the Multi- aspect fits to PSO2 as far as multi-player goes, but fails in the massive online expectations of felling large beasts in extremely poor odds in large groups
    I.e.:
    Field bosses.

the difference between a field boss and dungeon boss?
    Field bosses are spawned by GMs, or a key time thing. Or among others- events, if certain criteria are met or 100% random on a timely schedule.(weekly, monthly so on)

Dungeon bosses are grind-able, spam-able, and require much less effort or work to kill depending on difficulty.(yeah i tried wow raids and they require memory+team work, P.s. Tanking SUCKS! <3)

Lets not dip into loot here, its a whole different scenario for each game in particular.

Have fun!
    Last edited by Meyfei; Jun 26, 2014 at 06:48 PM.

Ehh it's mmo like but not a mmo in my opinion. It's more of a dungeon crawler. Psu was more a mmo then pso2. In psu at least we had different hubs (lobbies) to hang out in. Pso2 we have one lobby.

No, it's not an MMO. PSO2 doesn't fit the 'massive' part in MMO.

PSO2 is labeled as an MMO but who the fuck cares if it is an MMO or not, it's not going to change a god dam thing.
    Last edited by strikerhunter; Jun 26, 2014 at 06:22 PM.

Vulcan Taint Pincher moorebounce's Avatar

I would call PSO2 a LMO "Limited multiplayer online". When they can reach 40+ in a party it will be considered a MMO to me.
    PSO2 JP Ship 2 Jazmin - HUcaseal - Team: Paranoia-Gaming
    PSO2 NA Ship 3 Orro Munroe HUcaseal - Team: Dark Alliance

Gets almost as convoluted as the MOBA arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by strikerhunter View Post
    PSO2 is labeled as an MMO but who the fuck cares if it is an MMO or not, it's not going to change a god dam thing.
    Only reason I care is for 2 things:
    1st:Keeps the discussion outta one dudes thread and prevents it being derailed as bad.
    2nd: It makes for a good read when people casually argue their points and values in a civil manner.

Quote Originally Posted by moorebounce View Post
    I would call PSO2 a LMO "Limited multiplayer online". When they can reach 40+ in a party it will be considered a MMO to me.
    pls no. I already can barely find myself in 12 MPA's when Forces to their thing. Also my framerate goes nuts.

I don't think your "field bosses" criteria determines if a game is an MMORPG or not.
    In Ragnarok Online a GM spawned boss was no different from a natural spawn, in general the boss system worked pretty different (Not instanced, FFA, etc.) in RO compared to other MMOs yet this didn't change its classification of being an MMO.

Somethings to consider about the an MMORPG, while many people simultaneously fighting a single monster is one factor, there are also...
    - The fact that people can gather together and chat with one another. (Lobby)
    - Systems to facilitate communication between people if they are not gathered together. (Teams)
    - The ability to trade items between each other to have an complicated economy work out. (Shop)
    - Events where the server can work together (or compete) for a common goal. (Elder, Luther, Bingo, Rappy Races) (Interrupt Rankings)

So while you can only run around with 3 other party members, or 11 other multiparty members... there are other factors where one might consider a "massive" amount of players working together in PSO2.

who fucking cares?
    栄美
    ID: joshirosama