Page 3 of 77 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast

OK, questions:

1) Are you absolutely shure the IP is specific to you and not shared between multiple accounts? WHat about the MAC address, it will be the one from the card you're using to access via Putty, correct?
    2) You mention stoping an instance so that you can control the amount spent per month. But, by doing that, aren't you risking losing the IP and getting a new one each time you start the instance?
    3) Only 1.20 usd a month? Can you freely stop an instance? aren't there limits? seems to be a little low value to me...

"The only thing necessary for lost data to prevail, is for good men to share nothing."
    Alucard, Internet Bible 03:20:1997

Quote Originally Posted by MDashK View Post
    OK, questions:

1) Are you absolutely shure the IP is specific to you and not shared between multiple accounts? WHat about the MAC address, it will be the one from the card you're using to access via Putty, correct?
    2) You mention stoping an instance so that you can control the amount spent per month. But, by doing that, aren't you risking losing the IP and getting a new one each time you start the instance?
    3) Only 1.20 usd a month? Can you freely stop an instance? aren't there limits? seems to be a little low value to me...
    1) Machine MAC addresses are usually not visible outside of your local network (exception with IPv6 which somtimes uses your MAC Address to generate the IP) unless SEGA pulls your MAC from your system then the MAC of your active Wireless or Ethernet card would get sent.

2) You are at risk of losing your IP when stopping an instance but when starting it you might be assigned the same IP if it is still available or another one within AWS. If the IP Address is changed you can just update it in PuTTY and it'll work exactly the same.

3) $1.20 comes from 100 hours of instance time (0.012 * 100). You can freely stop an instance in the AWS Management Console. No limits to how many times you can start/stop a server. It seems low but when you look at it the t2.micro instance is the smallest possible instance available on Amazon with 1 virtulized CPU and 1GB of RAM which is a spec compared to the full processing power the VM Instance is hosted on.

EDIT: Forgot to add that your IP Address is not shared within anyone unless you stop an instance (or it crashes) and it gets assigned to someone else. So long as your instance is active and online you will keep your IP
    Last edited by Limni; Jul 1, 2014 at 06:42 PM.

ダーク ファルス 【守護者】

You can cancel the service, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinamori View Post
    You can cancel the service, right?
    Yes, when you are logged into the management console you can click on your name, go to My Account, click on Account Settings and when you scroll down close account should be there. But by terminating an instance you shut down that instance for good and will not be charged anymore (if still running after a year)
    Last edited by Limni; Jul 1, 2014 at 06:52 PM.

Dat FAQ is delicious looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinamori View Post
    $0.012 USD per active hour
    After the 12 months trial period? That's way too cheap!

Confirming this works for me as a user with a "blocked ISP". Thanks, Limni.

I started experimenting with this exact same sort of thing Friday night, but got too wasted to finish up. Although, I was going to try setting up the Tokyo region instance as a VPN server. Your solution is much more elegant!

Quote Originally Posted by MDashK View Post
    OK, questions:

It's $9 per month if you leave it on 24/7.

And, about the IP, you lose it and obtain a new one after resetting your router, too. I'm more than sure that Sega knows about dynamic IPs, and if I wasn't prompted for a verification email in the two years that I've played the game, you probably won't get banned for changing it so long as it stays in the Amazon subnet, either.

MdashK: #2 can be solved with associating an "Elastic IP" to your instance. However, you should note that the IP address of the instance will change one time after the assignment. Also, I'm pretty sure 1 elastic IP per account is free, though you do get charged for it if you don't have it associated with an instance. Unsure of how the cost compares between the two at the moment.

Updated the guide to use Amazon Linux ($0.012/h) instead of Red Hat Enterprise($0.08/h). Misread the prices ><.

If you currently have a Red Hat instance you should be good for a free year but incase of the worse scenario and the Backbone null routing still exists please start a new instance with Amazon Linux and terminate the instance with Red Hat.
    Last edited by Limni; Jul 1, 2014 at 07:15 PM.