Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: PSO-like games?

Default PSO-like games?

Recently I had the urge to play PSO2 again, so I went and patched it up... only to find that nope, can't connect anymore (I could set up a VPN or whatever, but it's a hassle).

This has led to me playing some PSP2 to get my fix, but it's not quite the same.

So... what other stuff is there that people could recommend in the vein? I'm worried there's nothing that really captures the action combat+lots of character customization I want. (Also, I already have MH3U, which is the closest thing that comes to mind, but I've run out of goals in that that don't involve grinding down tower monsters forever).
    Coming Soon!

Are you the sickest dude? Lumpen Thingy's Avatar

nothing at ALL.......monster hunter might be the only other game that's even close to it that I consider not a pos lol

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

Good character customization AND console game action rpg style combat? yeah you're ass out of luck, lot of games are one and the other is mediocre.

Just dungeon crawling/item hunting/action rpg period?

Like every action RPG on a portable gaming console that has online play... Can start the google search there, otherwise might be JP only, not yet released, mediocre gameplay, gimmicky or be a monster hunter ripoff.

If it doesn't have to be online and you've never played it though I'd definitely recommend FF type-0 with an english patch runs perfectly on emulator/you're set if you got a CFW'd psp. Or wait till it hits consoles

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

Well, customization of appearance and stats/skills is bigger for me than action combat I guess.
    Coming Soon!

Tera is the closest thing I've played for the action combat aspect. It is also quite controller-centric. That is, it has move setups that play better with the controller than with Mouse and keyboard. Especially when playing melee-centric classes.

Of course, it is magic instead of technology-based like PSO. But alas, outside of cool premium outfits (it is also free to play as PSO2) character customization is very limited. Phantasy Star Online and Guild wars pretty much corner the market in great character custom looks. GW2 does feel a bit action-like, but it isn't the same visceral combat like PSO2 or Tera.
    PSO2 Character information:

Eric Windhaven (Fomar) Ship 02.

I'm pretty sure this isn't what you're looking for, but there's a lot about Destiny that is superficially similar to PSO.

Well, the first one, at least.

But in terms of gameplay, yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not gonna scratch your itch.

I found Demon's and Dark Souls to be somewhat similar to the first PSO, with clunky controls, giant bosses and strange storytelling. Didn't realize what do those games remind me of until DS2 added double sabers, though.

Too bad there's nothing like PSO on iOS (or android) devices.

(Not that I could find anyways)

Quote Originally Posted by Sp-24 View Post
    I found Demon's and Dark Souls to be somewhat similar to the first PSO, with clunky controls, giant bosses and strange storytelling. Didn't realize what do those games remind me of until DS2 added double sabers, though.
    I have played that whole series a fair bit though. Actually, I think I've at least tried everything suggested so far...

I'll admit I liked how PSO told its story though - it executed it wonderfully. But as enjoyable as that style of storytelling can be, it's not in my top five for things I'm looking for in a game.

Honestly, the biggest issue is probably that nobody really pushes character creation to the degree Phantasy Star has... and some things in PSO2 I've yet to see anything approach at all (the hair and clothes move to a degree I never see anywhere else, for instance).
    Coming Soon!

Late to the party here, but Ragnarok Odyssey Ace for PS3 or PS Vita should be right up your alley.
    Creator of Tethealla, Administrator of Ephinea.