That one place you may or may not have been... East-side

Exclamation Help Wanted; Working on a Big Project

Hey there guys and gals, I'll get to the point. I'm working on a very real tangible project that involves making a card game based on a anime/ comic/manga/online story or other commercial medium (Similar to the formula Pokemon, Digimon, Yugioh and things along that line have used). I don't want to give away too many of the details just yet, but i'm hoping to ultimately develop a few partnerships with some of you and generate some interest to form a team to work on this thing. I already have an avenue to sell the card game, the hardest thing to do, will definitely be to get exposure (which I already have plans for), hence the reason why it's important to find a good medium like a manga or comic series. BUT... I can't do this alone and need some help. I want to get to work A.S.A.P. and get something done physically, and eventually get the copyrights to it. I'd like to get some help on Kickstarter (Between $3,500-$5,000) because money is tight and some help is needed to get this thing off the ground for sure. If you're interested, please let me know, I'm very serious and hoping to lay a foundation. I've been working on this for awhile, it still needs work, but the core of it is solid and I wouldn't waste my time If I didn't believe it was profitable or marketable. I have a plan laid out also as to how to to execute just about every part of the plan, but many hands make for light work, and It might be something that can help you out in more ways than one, like I said , I'm looking for a partnership, not slaves, and this project won't just be mine, but whoever helps put their work, time or effort into it. These are people I need and am looking for:

Donations/Sponsors/Supporters: Because money is important and vital, even if its a dollar, its better than $0.00, no joke, send that thing over lol If you can spare it, I humbly ask for your assistance

TEAM PLAYERS: Ages 17+ People willing to work with each other WILLING TO BE IN CONSTANT COMMUNICATION that are committed and won't just cut and run away because nothing is happening immediately, i'm serious. You need to be serious about working, team work, grinding and making money and love art, that would help. I can't stress loyalty, honesty, integrity and fairness enough. This is something that could potentially cost people involved time and money, however, i'm trying to do whats possible so there will be as little to no risk or cost to the people involved on this project. However... If something needs to get done that will cost us, i'd hope you'd be willing to help the team, especially considering if this works, the money should be coming back to you anyway I'm pretty much prepared to do whatever is necessary (Within reason) to make this thing happen.

1-3 Artist: I need people that can draw pretty well to REALLY well, presentation is important, I'm looking for the manga art style (Think maybe Rurouni Kenshiin Death Note, Eye Shield 21). People that like to draw and might know how to storyboard and very important, can design cards using some type of software like photoshop (If you can draw on the computer, that might be even better, then we can just skip the paper I guess).

Writer(s)/Organized detailed thinkers 1-3: Whether or not this ends up being a novel or manga, I need someone who can brainstorm with me and help me flesh out the rest of the story, its order, how things will work, read, proofread and things along that line. The core is finished, I have the plan to work with, its just giving it proper structure and detailing the environment and adding more characters, stuff like that. Artists can help with this too, but i'd rather not put anyone on overload.

1-3 Tech savy people: Eventually I need to get to the point where I can do 2 key things: Make an app(For coin flipping), and or an indie game (I'd like to get it on Nintendo eShop, this sounds big and crazy, but I believe this can happen). Also, if there's anything else needed, I'm willing to hear suggestions.

That's pretty much it. If you want more details please feel more than free to PM me and if you know anyone outside of this forum willing to work, let them know what i'm doing. You have talent? why not try to put it to good use? Don't let it go to waste. I doubt anybody is going to retire off of Burger King or MCdonalds, and you can barely make a living JUST by going to college (Not knocking anyone going that route, but it's not the best thing ever). This could be an opportunity to escape going that route unless you choose to. It a opportunity, nothing is set in stone right now, but the biggest ideas sometimes start small and with people willing to take a chance and do some WORK. And that's what i'm asking for, people to work with me so we can all have a chance to do something great. Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by washuguy; Aug 21, 2014 at 09:50 AM.
    1 Corinthians 13 Love suffers long, is kind, envies not, isn't puffed up, doesn't behave unseemly, seeks not it's own, is not easily provoked, thinks no evil, rejoices not in sin, but rejoices in truth, bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things, love never fails... (MATTHEW 24:3-51)

"Eventually" get the copyrights? When making a commercial product based on an existing intellectual property that you don't own, it sounds like the first thing to do.

Also, anime isn't as big as one might think. What exactly is your target audience? Is it based on some new anime series that still isn't available dubbed, and is only known to a few enthusiasts? Or one of the older ones, that has been licensed in the west by a company like Viz Media?

And, while it's true that Hearthstone is popular now, it has more to do with a lot of marketing (that $5,000 and viral advertising wouldn't be able to provide), not just popularity of the existing franchise. Getting people interested in paying for pieces of cardboard is even harder than that. That's why most TCGs fail miserably, even if things they're based on are popular in Japan - just look at Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist, Rockman.EXE and Sword Art Online trading card games. And ones that are popular are really big projects that often completely forgo paper form, and are only playable online. Like Cardfight!! Vanguard, which has its own anime that is basically 20 minute commercials, or online card games, like Kantai Collection.

In short, what I'm asking is: have you really thought this through?

Quote Originally Posted by Sp-24 View Post
    "Eventually" get the copyrights? When making a commercial product based on an existing intellectual property that you don't own, it sounds like the first thing to do.

Also, anime isn't as big as one might think. What exactly is your target audience? Is it based on some new anime series that still isn't available dubbed, and is only known to a few enthusiasts? Or one of the older ones, that has been licensed in the west by a company like Viz Media?

And, while it's true that Hearthstone is popular now, it has more to do with a lot of marketing (that $5,000 and viral advertising wouldn't be able to provide), not just popularity of the existing franchise. Getting people interested in paying for pieces of cardboard is even harder than that. That's why most TCGs fail miserably, even if things they're based on are popular in Japan - just look at Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist, Rockman.EXE and Sword Art Online trading card games. And ones that are popular are really big projects that often completely forgo paper form, and are only playable online. Like Cardfight!! Vanguard, which has its own anime that is basically 20 minute commercials, or online card games, like Kantai Collection.

In short, what I'm asking is: have you really thought this through?
    Thanks for the words of wisdom, i appreciate it. I've thought about this A LOT... I probably should've been more clear as to my intents. I'd like to make an original work, and get the rights for it. It'll probably be about $400-$800 to get that type of work done. I think you see the problem here right off the bat lol I can't come up with $800 right now let alone $400. Not only that, but even if I did, I have no art or anything right now, just a name, bits and pieces of a story, a few character names, stuff like that. I need something physical and interest from other people to work on it. What I was hoping to do was get a team, share the idea, work on and organize the idea, get some art and make a card game (Accompanied with a website too) and generate some support. Any medium it takes to get exposure, I want it... Of course the most effective and cheapest will do for me.

It doesn't necessarily need to be an anime, that's a big step forward and something I wouldn't mind pursuing as an option, but might be unnecessary. If I have to go the NeoPets route where they have this huge online platform and have these mini story lines, that's cool, or like a dragonball z type website with character bios and fuse the 2 ideas together. Hopefully I clarified myself, but I can clarify some more. The biggest thing for me, is creating a story that people can follow in the best medium as possible, get people to fall in love with the characters, the world and the story that will make them interested in buying the game or at least trying it out once. I know exactly where to sell it in card form, but I need to make the cards (which can be done on the computer).

As far as the card game and people probably not wanting to waste time collecting actual cards, I'm way ahead and know where you're coming from, that's why I said "(I'd like to get it on Nintendo eShop, this sounds big and crazy, but I believe this can happen)". Or even if it takes awhile to get there, have something on a website people can play, and give them incentives for buying the actual cards themselves, I'm all about incentives... I know pokemon, as popular as the card game still is, has an online game people can play in addition to collecting actual cards, and inside the packs there's a code you can use to get better cards I assume (I haven't played the TCG online yet).

I don't know every fine detail, but I've done enough research to get off the ground at least, the biggest problem is execution and lack of man power. As far as every bit of paperwork I need and who to contact for deals and stuff, you can figure out as you go along and are working on the project, because there are few people I've seen that know ALL that stuff until they get close to actually crossing the bridge, and it won't matter if the project isn't being worked on at all, cause it's no good just sitting in my head and on paper.
    Last edited by washuguy; Aug 22, 2014 at 12:17 PM.
    1 Corinthians 13 Love suffers long, is kind, envies not, isn't puffed up, doesn't behave unseemly, seeks not it's own, is not easily provoked, thinks no evil, rejoices not in sin, but rejoices in truth, bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things, love never fails... (MATTHEW 24:3-51)

Okay, let's be realistic here. You need to do three things:

1.) Significantly cut down the scope of your project. You're comparing your idea to various games and other products with budgets that ranged anywhere from six- to seven-figures. Have you ever developed a game before? Have you ever actually written the rules for a card game and playtested them thoroughly enough that you know they're balanced?

2.) Nail down your concept into a concrete list of features. No vague ideas like "Well, it could be this, or it could be that." You need to know exactly what kind of game or website or whatever you're making and exactly the features you want.

3.) Understand the details of developing a game, including both how much money it takes and how much time. First off, no brand worth mentioning is going to be available for licensing to a commercial product for $800. Add another zero or two to that number. There's also the cost of development: most people do not want to dedicate all of their free time to do professional-grade work for somebody else's dream game. If they have the talent that you're looking for and you're not going to pay them, they're going to use their talent on a career or their own passion project.

Listen, the best thing to do when you decide that you want to make a game (or write a book or draw a comic or whatever) is to scrap your initial grand idea and start on something small. Have you developed a pong clone before? If not, that's your first project. Or, since we're talking about making a card game, you should get out some paper and markers and make the game on paper before you even consider trying to develop a videogame. If you can't make the card game work out (and playable from start to finish) on paper, then there's no point in even bothering with anything else.

Everybody always wants to start getting into games by making some grand epic that's comparable to major games that took dozens (if not hundreds) of people to develop. That's pretty unrealistic! Start small and work on your skills. Take baby steps. Wanting to develop a Hearthstone competitor without prior experience is like wanting to read War & Peace while you're still learning to read.
    Last edited by Outrider; Aug 25, 2014 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Outrider View Post
    Okay, let's be realistic here. You need to do three things:

1.) Significantly cut down the scope of your project. You're comparing your idea to various games and other products with budgets that ranged anywhere from six- to seven-figures. Have you ever developed a game before? Have you ever actually written the rules for a card game and playtested them thoroughly enough that you know they're balanced?

2.) Nail down your concept into a concrete list of features. No vague ideas like "Well, it could be this, or it could be that." You need to know exactly what kind of game or website or whatever you're making and exactly the features you want.

3.) Understand the details of developing a game, including both how much money it takes and how much time. First off, no brand worth mentioning is going to be available for licensing to a commercial product for $800. Add another zero or two to that number. There's also the cost of development: most people do not want to dedicate all of their free time to do professional-grade work for somebody else's dream game. If they have the talent that you're looking for and you're not going to pay them, they're going to use their talent on a career or their own passion project.

Listen, the best thing to do when you decide that you want to make a game (or write a book or draw a comic or whatever) is to scrap your initial grand idea and start on something small. Have you developed a pong clone before? If not, that's your first project. Or, since we're talking about making a card game, you should get out some paper and markers and make the game on paper before you even consider trying to develop a videogame. If you can't make the card game work out (and playable from start to finish) on paper, then there's no point in even bothering with anything else.

Everybody always wants to start getting into games by making some grand epic that's comparable to major games that took dozens (if not hundreds) of people to develop. That's pretty unrealistic! Start small and work on your skills. Take baby steps. Wanting to develop a Hearthstone competitor without prior experience is like wanting to read War & Peace while you're still learning to read.
    Thanks for the realistic input man, I genuinely appreciate it

1. I have written the rules for the game, worked on card concepts, and even formed 1 to 2 decks out of flash cards (Which I lost -_-) and play tested it, I even changed the rules a bit to make the game even better so its more organized and makes more sense and is balanced. I think the formula I have works out very well. I need to buy more cards so I can test it some more, but I like what i've done so far.

2. I know what the game will be regardless of platform. I have a concrete idea for the cardgame, its the most concrete thing i have and how to share it (Sharing isn't really that hard). The cardgame accompanies and is centered around a world of characters that im still creating and developing. I'd like to take that concept and turn it into something tangible people can become familiar with. A website where you can play the game would be cool, or at least one that can allow people to explore the world/concept.

3. I was thinking more along the lines of getting a trademark/copyrights, depending on how much coverage you want, it may or may not run you into the thousands. The way I mapped it out, was to start something small, have the idea ready to go at least, forget the copyrights and trade marks too; I want to finish the story and world well before getting any of that stuff, because it won't matter and will be a waste of money if people don't know it exists at all. The card game is pretty much ready, the art and story need work,and i can work on my characters some more (To figure out what character goes on what card.

Cool, glad to hear you have the rules nailed down. If you want to start moving forward on the video game side of things, I would recommend trying to build a prototype in Game Maker or something like that. You can build games with the free verison, but if you upgrade and buy the HTML5 exporter, you can publish the game on the web.

I'm a little confused on your comment about licensing/copyrights. So you're not saying you want to license somebody else's brand, but you want to make sure your work is copyrighted? You can do an official registration, but technically as soon as you create your work you own the copyright of it.

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Outrider View Post
    Cool, glad to hear you have the rules nailed down. If you want to start moving forward on the video game side of things, I would recommend trying to build a prototype in Game Maker or something like that. You can build games with the free verison, but if you upgrade and buy the HTML5 exporter, you can publish the game on the web.

I'm a little confused on your comment about licensing/copyrights. So you're not saying you want to license somebody else's brand, but you want to make sure your work is copyrighted? You can do an official registration, but technically as soon as you create your work you own the copyright of it.

Best of luck!
    Thanks man I bookmarked it, hopefully I can put it to use in the near future.

And yeah, I want to create my own brand. I wanted to get the copyrights registered so that the idea will be protected under the law. But like I said, right now i don't think it's 100% necessary right now.

washuguy, making a small game for PC/iOS/Android and letting others comment on it will go a long way. Start with something small, bring out updates, nail down the story with each update.

Start small and put something out, then build up. Create a kickstarter after a few updates. Ask for donations. Small steps like that, until you're ready to bring out the final ambitious project.

Good luck with it, take my advice, don't be discouraged. Go for it!

And learn and have fun/make some money along the way.