Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Friends with Ragne-chan! Maenara's Avatar

Default How to properly redo the debuff system in PSO2

I think we can all agree on something - the status system in PSO2 is complete and utter shit. This is for a wide variety of reasons, including:
    •All(Yes, every single one) bosses in the game are completely immune to between 4 and 6 of the following debuffs: Burn, freeze, shock, mirage, panic, and poison.
    •For all non-midbosses(And some midbosses too), the status they aren't immune to inflicts a usually completely different effect than what they normally do.
    •The above makes it impossible to specialize in any one status, yet it costs 10 SP just to raise a single status' proc chance by 1~4%, making it impossible to generalize too.
    •Against normal enemies, normal enemies generally die far too fast for the statuses to mean anything.
    •Against normal enemies, normal enemies generally die far too fast for the statuses to even proc with their low rates.
    •Against normal enemies, it's impossible to use statuses for mobbing because you have nearly no chance of inflicting a status on multiple enemies simultaneously.

I could make a FO/FI tree which has a 112% chance to proc freeze on enemies with Barta and Rabarta. Does that sound useful to you? Not to me.

To fix the status system, I figure three things should be done, A) Divide each status into five levels with different effects(They're already divided into five levels, but without differing effects, only increased effectivity), B) Eliminate the carpet immunity from bosses, and instead give a maximum effect level for each status and enemy, and C) Raise the proc rate for statuses across the board.

First off, these are the effects at each status level I've devised:

Burn:
    Spoiler!

Freeze:
    Spoiler!

Shock:
    Spoiler!

Mirage:
    Spoiler!

Panic:
    Spoiler!

Poison:
    Spoiler!

Some of those status levels might seem very overpowered, but hold your horses, the second part is changing how immunities work.

For extra large bosses(Bal Rodos, Big Vardha, Dark Falz Elder/Loser, etcetera), receiving a status above the following levels only applies a status of the listed level, essentially a 'cap' on the level of the status for that boss.
    •Burn: II
    •Freeze: I
    •Shock: III
    •Mirage: I
    •Panic: I
    •Poison: I

For large bosses(Everything else that's not a midboss), the levels are:
    •Burn: III
    •Freeze: II
    •Shock: IV
    •Mirage: IV
    •Panic: II
    •Poison: II

For midbosses:
    •Burn: IV
    •Freeze: IV
    •Shock: V
    •Mirage: V
    •Panic: V
    •Poison: IV

For bosses which have special reactions to certain statuses, they still do. Normal mobs are all fully vulnerable to all statuses.

As for the chances to inflict status, I'll deal in two types, affixes, and techniques. Affixes are easy to deal with. Affixes of a certain level have a low chance to inflict statuses of that level, and higher chances to inflict statuses of a lower level, as shown:
    Affix level: I % / II % / III % / IV % / V %
    I: 5% /0% /0% /0% /0%
    II: 10% /5% /0% /0% /0%
    III: 15% /10% /5% /0% /0%
    IV: 20% /12% /8% /4% /0%
    V: 25% /17% /12% /7% /1%

Level V status affixes would be 'removed' and only attainable on certain weapons, such as Burn V on Flame Visit.

For techniques... Suffice it to say they follow the same rules as affixes, with each one having unique chances. However, only one technique per element can inflict a level V status, the techniques being Namegid, Ilfoie, Nazan, Ragrants, Sabarta, and Sazonde. I'd do a full list of chances but I feel like that'd make this topic way too long and the list would be fairly incomprehensible anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by GHNeko View Post
    this is an absolutely disgusting post

reported.
    Maenara - Level 75 HU/FI/RA/GU/FO/TE/BR/BO

The supposive Gaijin Hero EvilMag's Avatar

They could rip off pokemon and have burn status cut attack.

Oh and have poison do more damage as time goes on.
    Quote Originally Posted by CelestialBlade View Post
    Bit off-topic, but I'm just sick and tired of "difficulty" meaning "stat boosts". It's lazy and boring.

pretty sure pso2 element and statuses related to it , is simplified of the other 2 previous game...
    you know... cause the dev dont want this game become too serious but also dont want it become too casual...

i still remember wrong element in pso1 is srs biznizz...

also, you forgottin the debuff atk down and defense down , jelen and zalure , which now only jelen left as launcher's skill and it only tone down like... 15% atk reduce if im not wrong.
    Ship 2 / Invite ID : 10385482 / Courina

Poison should never go away and it should reduce enemy def to negative values.

Problem solved.

I remembered Jellen and Zalure and Bind, but I didn't want to delve into those since I have barely any experience with either, especially with Zalure not existing in-game.

reported.

Quote Originally Posted by Maenara View Post
    I
    I could make a FO/FI tree which has a 112% chance to proc freeze on enemies with Barta and Rabarta. Does that sound useful to you? Not to me.
    I planned to make this as a separate tree for TD. As long as I have enough leftover points for freeze keep, it can actually do well.

Honestly, the biggest thing that needs to happen for status effects to be viable (besides having them work on bosses), would be enemies being able to survive long enough to have them for more than like 2 seconds...

Zalure was overtaken by Weak Bullet, except instead of being a decent debuff it's become game breaking at times.

I do like that it's a 4x every 90 seconds thing, since Zalure really did become completely redundant in PSO1. If it's used on everything all the time it stops feeling like a unique ability and starts feeling like an extra layer of tedium. Kind of like fistpumps! Except for every enemy in the game, instead of once every 45 minutes or however long it is now.

They should really give techer a Poison Zalure skill. Anything you poison has -10% element resists and -20% def. Enemies would need more element resist variety to make this anything less than stupidly OP (some elements should be resisted so only a few extra elements become weaknesses), and Zalure would still need to be applicable to bosses somehow.

As it is, SEs are pretty much Chase debuffers for minibosses and large enemies that survive your first attack. You should be able to apply SEs to boost points on bosses. No damage taken by the boss, just Chase damage can be enabled. Also boost points should be breakable, to reduce their attack effectiveness and trigger Break Stance.

I feel like you guys are vastly underestimating the shittiness of the status effect system.

reported.

Quote Originally Posted by Maenara View Post
    I feel like you guys are vastly underestimating the shittiness of the status effect system.
    I don't disagree that it's bad. I'm just saying that no matter what you change to the status effects them selves, it won't matter much if mobs continue to die before they finish their spawning animation.

I do like your idea of status effects having their effective level capped on bosses so the overpowered ones don't wreck everything though.