Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Chdata View Post
    You can't compare real life to a game. Also, let's say you do walk up to someone who's androgynous. Are you gonna refer to that person as 'he or she' just to be safe? It'd come off as just as rude IRL until that person says they're used to it or something. Simply asking can be shaky territory sometimes.

Also the 50/50 f / m gaming thing is old, but I have yet to see demographics of what the genre splits for games are between f/m. Why? Because it still holds true that I only see almost a 1:60 ratio of girls to males in FPS shooters and games like PSO2. Most of the demographic studies you see only mention a demographic of "who buys games".

Games is very broad. That encompasses all game genres and comes to no surprise. But if you can find a statistic that 50% of CoD is girl gamers now I'll be really surprised. I think the whole misconception that only guys plays games stems from more of how in multiplayer games, there tends to be more guys. The masses can't as easily see who's playing what single player games.
    I agree wholeheartedly (although I wouldn't be surprised if it was 50/50 in CoD. I meet a lot of girls in that game for some odd reason).
    Ship 02 - Ur, Player ID: Niare Sky
    75/55 BR/BOdewearl Niare Sky, 54/40 GU/RAmar Davin Carver
    YouTube Channel here - check it out!
    PSO2 Story Playlists: Episode 1 | Episode 2

Oh well I don't play CoD, but in TF2 you generally find 1-2 girl in like 5 servers (of 32 people each).

In PSO2... I've seen 2-4 girls in the entire EN community. If I had to predict how many are here that I haven't heard of, following current trends you could add maybe another 4-6. Out of hundreds of EN. Of course since the DDoS the EN community has been downed as a whole.
    [All Class] Nue Houjuu / [GuHu] Remilia Scarlet from Ship 02.
    74HU - 52FI - 71RA - 60GU - 75FO - 75TE - 75BR - 66BO | 68GU - 62HU - 47RA
    Leader of team Touhou.
    Community owner/developer of TF2Data | Now playing: VRChat

Friends with Ragne-chan! Maenara's Avatar

You can't compare real life to a game. Also, let's say you do walk up to someone who's androgynous. Are you gonna refer to that person as 'he or she' just to be safe? It'd come off as just as rude IRL until that person says they're used to it or something. Simply asking can be shaky territory sometimes.

Also the 50/50 f / m gaming thing is old, but I have yet to see demographics of what the genre splits for games are between f/m. Why? Because it still holds true that I only see almost a 1:60 ratio of girls to males in FPS shooters and games like PSO2. Most of the demographic studies you see only mention a demographic of "who buys games".

Games is very broad. That encompasses all game genres and comes to no surprise. But if you can find a statistic that 50% of CoD is girl gamers now I'll be really surprised. I think the whole misconception that only guys plays games stems from more of how in multiplayer games, there tends to be more guys. The masses can't as easily see who's playing what single player games.

If you wanna talk about rudeness, there's this greedy person posting a rant thread that's insulting everyone's freedom to sell things at whatever price they want at their convenience by likening them to ignorant idiots who has the gall to be complaining when people come back and say that s/he just seemed too greedy. Some people just want quick meseta and undercut hoping someone will buy faster. If I really thought something was worth 70m, and I had 15m left over, I would've bought at least the two that were around 1m in price. But you even go as far to ask that someone else steps in using their meseta to help with /your/ investment just so it'll profit you more? Talk about greedy.
    15~40m x 7 < 40m

Your math is impeccable. And if you couldn't tell, it was a joking suggestion. Well, of course you didn't, that's your only fuel in this argument towards calling me greedy. If I were that greedy, I'd be playing the affixing game and have hundreds of millions. It's easy but just tedium.

Appealing to the majority by labeling everyone as guy until proven girl, is a logical fallacy at best, and sexist at worst. Let's not go there.
    Quote Originally Posted by GHNeko View Post
    this is an absolutely disgusting post

reported.
    Maenara - Level 75 HU/FI/RA/GU/FO/TE/BR/BO

Oh well I don't play CoD, but in TF2 you generally find 1-2 girl in like 5 servers (of 32 people each).

In PSO2... I've seen 2-4 girls in the entire EN community. If I had to predict how many are here that I haven't heard of, following current trends you could add maybe another 4-6. Out of hundreds of EN. Of course since the DDoS the EN community has been downed as a whole.
    I haven't actually played CoD in a while, but thats what I remember.

But yeah. PSO2 has a surprisingly low female population as far as I can see. Then again, I don't think I should be surprised, which is a sad thing.
    Ship 02 - Ur, Player ID: Niare Sky
    75/55 BR/BOdewearl Niare Sky, 54/40 GU/RAmar Davin Carver
    YouTube Channel here - check it out!
    PSO2 Story Playlists: Episode 1 | Episode 2

Quote Originally Posted by Maenara View Post
    Pretty sure they didn't invest anything to get what they got. If I had 10 stacks of Grind +1 Protects, I could sell them for 10k each, and they'd sure sell fast. Doesn't make it not a dick move to the people who were hoping to make more off of what they had for sale.

When you're undercutting by 10 million at a time, it's a little hard to find out just how much people are actually will pay for it. It'd be like Nintendo dropping the price of the 3DS from 250$ to 100$, instead of 180$ like they did. Now they know people will pay 100$ for it, but that's 80$ per unit they could have had that they lost by jumping the gun.
    I understand how basic economics work (unlike some of us in this thread). You are making awful comparisons. For starters, Nintendo's 3DS is not in limited supply.

Go sell your "stack" of 10 Grind +1 Protects for 10k each. They will sell instantly because they are far below the market value, and your sale will not impact the market value of grind protects. By no means is this a "dick move" that will ruin anyone's profits. This is also an awful comparison.
    Last edited by GreenArcher; Nov 21, 2014 at 01:54 PM.

It's a really easy argument tactic to just call every point your opponent makes awful. But that would also be a logical fallacy too. Analogies by their very nature are not exact, and likely to fall short in one or a few facets.

reported.

I suppose it is much easier to redirect to examples that have nothing to do with the topic at hand rather than admit fault.

Sorry for all your lost profits.

Please enlighten me with an analogy that works for you.

reported.

Women do not outnumber men at all in the realms of what we would call "gaming". The ESA counts the following as a gamer:

- Has played a video game in the past 12 months
    - Any genre
    - Any system
    - Any amount of time

So, this means simple smartphone games, for example, are being counted, and anyone who has played them for any amount of time is a "gamer".
    There's no fault to these findings, it's showing that women are indeed a consumer in the market of video games, but there is a distinction to be made:

1. There are games which are designed simply as time killers.
    2. There are games which are designed to be played casually with friends every so often.
    3. There are games which are designed to be played in a hardcore manner, over a period of many days / weeks / years, and generally have a skill ceiling.

For the majority of women, they just play games simply as timer killers, or perhaps when their friends ask them to play something on the Wii, but a very few amount play games like we do -- 20+ hours a week on MMORPGs, and playing complex games such as AAA titles like GTA or Assassin's Creed (possibly bad examples, but you should know where I am going with this).

As for sauces:

The American Freshman: National Falls 2013 survey surveyed 165,558 freshmen going into University about a various amount of things, one of them being how often do you play video games in a typical week. (93,824 females and 71,734 males)

When it came to what we'd classify as "hardcore gaming" (20+ hours a week), 4% of boys responded they did just that, but only 0.6% of women responded that they did. This puts the gender gap in hardcore gaming at roughly 7:1 (m/f).

Check these tables if you don't believe me:

Males:
    Spoiler!

(Note here also that only 18.5% of males say they don't play video games at all in a typical week, eg: It's not really a hobby of theirs at all)

Females:
    Spoiler!

(Note here also that a staggering 64.9% of women say they don't play video games at all in a typical week)

Tables from here: http://www.heri.ucla.edu/monographs/TheAmericanFreshman2013-Expanded.pdf

Another thing to note here is what people classify as video games. Generally, smartphone games such as Angry Birds or Bejeweled aren't really regarded as video games by anyone (I mean, they are, but you should know what I mean here). Video games are considered to be things like console games and fully-fledged video games for the PC and the like.

Unfortunately, there hasn't been a lot of research into the specifics of gaming (because feminist rhetoric simply wants any statistic, no matter how flawed, to be able to push forward their ideology), but search any realistic study that properly parses people who play games from people who identify as a "gamer", and you'll see that women in fact do not outnumber men in typical video games.

If you want a quick fact check, please check the "fact check" of Christina Hoff Sommers' "Are video games sexist?" video on medium.com, which has many useful statistics about the real demographic of video game players:

https://medium.com/@cainejw/the-factual-feminist-a-factcheck-f5ae584f56da

Please don't post bullshit, thanks.

As an aside, please stop watering down the definition of sexism. Sexism is being discriminatory against a person simply because of their gender. It is not sexist to assume someone is X gender due to setting or appearance -- these are logical assumptions. Any level headed person would simply correct someone who assumes incorrectly and get about their day, instead of playing the victim card as you most definitely did.

It's like you're a feminist.

Quote Originally Posted by Maenara View Post
    It's a really easy argument tactic to just call every point your opponent makes awful. But that would also be a logical fallacy too. Analogies by their very nature are not exact, and likely to fall short in one or a few facets.
    While females have become more and more represented in the gaming population it's true that the majority of female gamers play mobile games which these studies include in their findings. If we were to take a look at for example MMORPGs while the female population is growing they're still the minority. Then if one applies the availability heuristic (in other words taking what seems to be the most probable occurance) most would deduce that any given person is indeed male. It's not sexist nor an insult it's merely a logical shortcut based on prior knowledge, don't make a mountain out of a molehill.