Default What you will need for bots

The forum is being hit by so many bots.

I know its out for blogs, but I wonder if it exists for forumboards....Its called Akismet. It links to a centralized (always updating) anti-spam center. If its a personal thing its actually open donation to get it. Most people at first get it for free and later donate to the service because it actually does work decently.

The only thing is that this kind of work will have to be done server-side to install through the FTP, and then activated by an Administrator.

If not with this service, then something else...

Don't get me wrong.

I find this forum to be an elitist forum, filled with many bullies and a poor attitude which keeps me away from this place. However, to the admins and moderators...you shouldn't have to suffer wasting a lot of energy deleting the flooding that spambots are leaving behind on a daily basis.

I am just trying to help out. ^_^
    PSO-2 Info: Ship: 2; ID: セツナヤキ; MCN: ケイリン
    "If you want a bridge between past, present, and future, search for the void and awaken it!"

I was totally on-board until I saw that 'elitist forum' bit. Way to be passive-aggressive and snotty, mate. You're not much better, it would seem.

But, to be on-topic, you're right about this forum needing some form of bot protection, like just about every other forum on the internet already has. I mean, yikes, let's get professional here.

Hi Olaf ^_^

Actually I was being direct in expressing how I feel about the forum itself, not passive-aggressive, nor snotty about it.

For further information on discovering why, please refer to the following:

4th Grade English Language Arts (Common Core) - Direct Voice
    8th Grade English Language Arts (Common Core) - Passive Voice
    WIDA Standards - Representing exchange of Direct-Voice and Passive-Voice between L1 and L2 languages.
    Sheltered English Immersion (SEI) government endorsement text - Exchanges between Passive-Voice and Direct-Voice in teaching English in Culture and Mediums.
    "If you want a bridge between past, present, and future, search for the void and awaken it!"

I've let the Admin know about your suggestion, I await their response.

"It looks cool this way, let's stop."

Quote Originally Posted by Keilyn View Post
    Hi Olaf ^_^

Actually I was being direct in expressing how I feel about the forum itself, not passive-aggressive, nor snotty about it.

For further information on discovering why, please refer to the following:

4th Grade English Language Arts (Common Core) - Direct Voice
    8th Grade English Language Arts (Common Core) - Passive Voice
    WIDA Standards - Representing exchange of Direct-Voice and Passive-Voice between L1 and L2 languages.
    Sheltered English Immersion (SEI) government endorsement text - Exchanges between Passive-Voice and Direct-Voice in teaching English in Culture and Mediums.
    >says he isn't being a snob
    >is immediately a snob

Yeah, I don't think anyone would want you around here, anyway.

we all already know you're kind of a lunatic, so

Quote Originally Posted by Sayara View Post
    I've let the Admin know about your suggestion, I await their response.
    Thank you. Keep us posted, if possible.

You are not helping your case out all that much Keilyn. Thank you for showing your concern at least. This has been getting out of hand for a while now and it's annoying to see threads 2-3 pages in.

I feel people take things way too personally on here. A lot of the times some of us a joking or legitimately trying to help when we say things.

I feel the people who complain but try to do nothing about it are worse than the people they are complaining about. Since a lot act like they are above it

I too was lost at elitist. Have you met me? I might be a solo person, but I'm hardly elitist. If someone asks for help, I normally help even when it's not beneficial for me. I would kindly appreciate it if you didn't lump me in.

Even then, I've not noticed it and until I joined, I've been a lurker on the forums since... god... Pre-PSO EP3. Never was real big on forums until a couple years back.

As far as I know, Akismet does have an fork called Spam-o-mattic for vBulletin. Straight from vBulletin's site. (Here) It'd actually be nice. The thing is, not knowing how exactly it works, I'm in between on if it may hinder anyone that actually wants to join or not. I don't know how it handles things like that since spammers sometime have legitimate email addresses due to phishing among other things like human idiocy of not watching their URL bars and putting in their passwords anyway.

"Don't look for the people in your past. There is a reason they don't exist in your future." - Riesz
    Ship 2 - ID: Chrysheight

I am a very explicit and direct person. I also fall upon extreme technical definitions covering legal, political, and language definitions.

The idea is to be precise and direct, not to be a snob.

The reason I mentioned the forum as "Elitist" is due to the "response-type." Though many are registered here, there is a common group of people who post and create the atmosphere. The term Elitist in this sense applies to the "political definition" of "the few create (and define) the many" in the way the atmosphere works.

Unfortunately, the word Elite is overloaded and shares a Good Definition, as well as a Bad definition, and a political definition. Someone can always quote some "online dictionary." 300 - 400 credits of college course along with twenty years of forming and leading groups in the real world and online world has taught me a great deal of differentiation.

The one thing I have learned through all the people I have met is that while I will always apply differentiation and facilitation to communication, the basic should not be stripped or removed.

Just yesterday I spoke the following to a friend:

"I am regarded as an elitist in my area with good standing, but our population is far too elitist. Our elite are deserving, but our elitism isn't. We did not create separation just to become isolated ourselves. In fact I find it strange to be regarded as an elitist when I was the first to be branded and cast. At the very least before moving forward I can get us a second opinion.....from non-elites. We will need one, and soon"

(notice the multiple definitions of elite/elitism found in this paragraph)

In fact the interesting thing to English is being able to write the same word and have definitions by context, which is the toughest thing to teach ELLs.

@Big Olaf

yay!!! Im a lunatic...
    Im so happppppppyyyyy! ^_^

*sings*

Hey! Its glad to be something. :P

Nah. I actually mean well even though few see it. ^_^

EDIT:

How rude of me!!!

I forgot to say "thank you" for considering and taking steps towards fixing the problems and not dismissing me outright. There are plenty of anti-bot systems out there.

Thanks Again.
    Last edited by Keilyn; Nov 30, 2014 at 11:49 AM.

Nah, I see spam as a problem myself. I know staff provably doesn't want to keep cleaning the boards either. That would make a bit of a difference.

"Don't look for the people in your past. There is a reason they don't exist in your future." - Riesz
    Ship 2 - ID: Chrysheight