Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread: PSO Remake

Quote Originally Posted by Saya Laurent View Post
    The thing is, you will always have snaps. You can't just assume all connections are the same. It's just minimizing those.
    I concur. It's almost never going to be ideal sadly.
    Ship 02 - Ur, Player ID: Niare Sky
    75/55 BR/BOdewearl Niare Sky, 54/40 GU/RAmar Davin Carver
    YouTube Channel here - check it out!
    PSO2 Story Playlists: Episode 1 | Episode 2

Yeah, so you implement it best you can. You're going to have desyncs. Almost every online game does. What feature I'd like to see most, and this is at a coding level. If I'm going to DC. I don't want the game to sit there, pretend it's still online for the next 10 minutes, before I go to another area, it loads, then boom. DC.

"Don't look for the people in your past. There is a reason they don't exist in your future." - Riesz
    Ship 2 - ID: Chrysheight

Yeah, so you implement it best you can. You're going to have desyncs. Almost every online game does. What feature I'd like to see most, and this is at a coding level. If I'm going to DC. I don't want the game to sit there, pretend it's still online for the next 10 minutes, before I go to another area, it loads, then boom. DC.
    GladNet is built in UDP, built Lidgren gen3 to be specific to provide higher level features and abstract away some of the more technical and tedious things. While Lidgren does internally have a heartbeat packet that helps emulate connections, UDP is connectionless, I'm not sure how long it takes for a client to become aware of a disconnection. You can't just disconnect after a couple of lost packets, you have to wait, and so it does take a minute to disconnect. However 10 minutes is unlikely, I'd think it couldn't go much longer than 15 seconds until it realizes it.

This logic is handled in here. Heartbeats are sent https://github.com/HelloKitty/GladNe...tConnection.cs and if too much time has passed since a proper heartbeat it disconnects. This seems to be configurable on startup in a config object. So it's adjustable but GladNet doesn't currently expose that feature of Lidgren. Anyway, it shouldn't be 10 minutes so don't worry.

Edit: GladNet's encryption stuff is taking longer than I thought it would to finish. Going into test within Unity3D led me to realize the Mono project has no implementation of ECDiffieHellmanCng. Which means the whole default encryption for GladNet is broken because it's wrapped around that. =( might not get done what I thought I would tonight.
    Last edited by Glader; Dec 5, 2014 at 12:11 AM.

No worries. I'm rebrushing up on my environmental art skills. Maybe I can be an asset as well.

"Don't look for the people in your past. There is a reason they don't exist in your future." - Riesz

No worries. I'm rebrushing up on my environmental art skills. Maybe I can be an asset as well.
    Glad to hear it! Game development skills I think are the most fun to brush up on =). Unlike mathematics in general, or other things, you can actually produce something tangible that is both fun during creation and post creation; with the added bonus of other people generally being interested too.

As of 20 seconds ago I finally sent GladNet's first secure message. A little bit of cleaning up and making it a bit more user-friendly and I'll be able to start writing code specifically for the PSO project. Soooo, in like an hour. Here is a screenie of the maiden voyage of an encrypted message lol.

Spoiler!

I'm quite excited to start working on PSO =).

As for environments related to PSO I found the most marvelous recreation of Forest I could ever imagine. It was made by an industry professional who I believe is an artist currently employed by Bungie. I've of course reached out to him but that's a pipe dream hehe. Here is his work http://www.joshmarkham.com/ps.html.

If you need any applications and are weary about the less than direct route of obtaining them let me know. UT5 has a much different artist workflow with the standard PBS and GI lighting. I've yet to get my hands on speedtree though but I've not exactly tried.

Oh yeah, those were done in UDK, which is Unreal Engine 3. I seen those a while back. they are nice.

Oh yeah, those were done in UDK, which is Unreal Engine 3. I seen those a while back. they are nice.
    From what I understand, aside from the terrain, it's not UDK-dependent. In fact, UT5 may be on par in terms of lighting out of the box too now so I think it's reasonable to view the work independent of the engine.

Here is a quote from the thread in which he was posting in during working on it "The walls of the terrain will be replace with sculpted rocks". While Unity's terrian tool does suck, it's been rumored an overhaul will be coming in 5.x, I think his scene would look very much the same if it had been done within Unity 5.

So do not feel Unity cannot achieve what you need ^,^

No. The boxes and stuff were done in 3ds max. Just saying the engine used was UDK. I already know what Unity is capable of. I am unsure if I can make that quality of work though.

No. The boxes and stuff were done in 3ds max. Just saying the engine used was UDK. I already know what Unity is capable of. I am unsure if I can make that quality of work though.
    Oh no of course I don't expect anyone to do something like that. If someone could they'd be working at Bungie with him. That sort of work would be best case scenario. I never expect best case scenario.

I think the bar should be set at slightly above that which is possible by modding PSOBB, which isn't much more than the default PSOBB really. I don't count those post processing effects mods with the bloom and reflections. Those are something that are easily achievable.

I think we should all aim to make something a bit more appealing than this is all.

Spoiler!

I'm not an artist so I can't speak on behalf of the difficulty. In your opinion how challenging would it be to rival or slightly beat the sort of quality you can expect to see in PSOBB?

Also, if it helps anyone interesting in doing some art I had an old test of Forest 1 in Unity. It ripped from the original game files and the textures were applied by Landon Richie I believe, someone who had worked on an open source attempt at a PSO project. If I can find the project laying around, and if it'd be helpful, I can provide more useful controls. You can use shift/space to control height and the arrow keys to spin around. Not too useful if you'd need to really look at something closely though.

Forest 1 Unity3D Webplayer
    Last edited by Glader; Dec 5, 2014 at 07:10 PM.

Hmm. I might rip the model from the game, rip out the trees and stuff, use speedtree, and make some modular stuff. If I remember right, Unity has water zones I can use for rivers, I should be able to import speedtree stuff. Might freshen up textures. Shadow maps would definitely have to be rebuilt and the model would definitely have to be smoother for ground. Are you implementing anything other than current PSO systems? It'd be helpful when I go to make some art for this.

I really don't like doing an art pass without having done a gameplay pass unless you're just wanting a concept picture.