Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast

Default PSO2 Virtual Connect v2.0 - Player Character Rigging!

Please Note:
    This project has been suspended indefinitely and cannot be used with the current version of PSO2

Screenshots:
    Spoiler!

Features
    - Full player model rigging so you can see your character's body as you play.
    - Genuine stereoscopic rendering.
    - Oculus Rift DK2 distortion mesh integration.
    - A minimalistic, easy to use interface. Just drag the PSO2 window over to your HMD screen, maximize it, and you're done.
    - Adjustments to the game's controls that allow you to use the mouse, gamepad, or head tracking controls to move and aim.
    - FOV, IPD, and Height settings that can be adjusted and saved in the application.
    - Toggleable settings that allow the game to be played in first person with or without an Oculus Rift.
    - A lightweight game mirror that can show the game on another window while the actual game is running on the HMD screen.

In-game Controls:
    Ctrl + [R] - Recenter the HMD
    Ctrl + [~] - Hide/Show the UI
    Alt + [~] - Toggle between running and walking

Configuration Notes:
    The default eye-neck and neck-torso offsets have been tuned for a character with a height of ~175cm. Generally, PSO2 characters are shorter than this, so it may be necessary to determine offsets that work best with your character. The forward offset can be estimated fairly easily by using the cross-legged sit emote to square your character's shoulders and then lining them up to your own shoulders. The salute emote will cause your character to place their hand just above their eyes. Try to maintain the default ratio for the eye-neck and neck-torso offsets for the best results.

There's a tunable for character transparency as some actions such as guarding may obscure your vision. Having your character at around 85% opacity allows you to see through your character when you need to, but isn't all that noticeable otherwise.

It is recommend that you play with rotation tracking on and head tracking off to keep your body properly lined up with your head. Not much testing has been done with position tracking on, so it may not work as expected.

Troubleshooting

- If running the patcher causes the program to throw off an error and close, it may be a compatibility issue with the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable or the Microsoft .NET Framework. Try redownloading those two and see if it helps.

- Running the game while the Oculus HMD is connected under Oculus Runtime version 0.6.0.0 will cause the game to crash. If you encounter this, you can get the version 0.5.0.1 installer from the downloads below.

Download Links

Out of date since client version v3.1002.0
    Updates have been suspended indefinitely

- PSO2 Virtual Connect v2.0p 64-bit
    - PSO2 Virtual Connect v2.0p 32-bit

- Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2013
    - Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5
    - Oculus Rift Runtime 0.5.0.1

Version History
    Major.Minor[Revision]
    (Trivial revisions omitted)

Spoiler!

Known Bugs
    - Stereoscopic rendering will not work when the game's graphics settings are set to the lowest setting 1.
    - Menu items, particle effects, and the loading screen are all rendered at an IPD of 0.
    - The sun and moon will move about irregularly as you move your head about in the game.
    - Character cut-ins will appear abnormal due to their inner camera also being affected by the HMD view matrix.
    - Resizing the PSO2 window to anything besides its startup resolution will prevent the mouse from clicking on anything in the game.
    - The player character will be positioned improperly on mounted gun turrets when in first person mode.
    - Typical hardware based ambient occlusion tweaks may not work using this mod. More investigation to follow.

Notes
    - PSO2 Virtual Connect must be started before launching PSO2. Otherwise, the mod will not be applied.
    - Connect the HMD before launching PSO2 as the game will close if you connect it while the game is running.
    - Changes made to FOV and Aspect Ratio will only take effect the next time the camera changes. This can be triggered by toggling between aiming mode and regular mode in the game.
    - You can find out your character's height in cm using the character creator. Subtracting ~16.5cm from this height will get your character's eye height.
    - If you need to resize the game window to fit your HMD screen, then you won't be able to click on anything. Use the keyboard or a gamepad to select menu items. Alternatively, ensure that the game resolution matches the HMD screen resolution.

Note to Moderators

I realize that modding can be a bit of a touchy subject around online gaming communities as modding typically has the potential for opening up the game to cheaters.

I do not advocate cheating in any way and have taken steps to ensure that this mod does not expose any vulnerabilities in that would open the game up to cheating. GameGuard still runs as normal and still conceals the PSO2 process from potential cheaters. While this mod uses multiple code injections, these injections are under the protection of GameGuard such that if any changes are applied to them, GameGuard will generate a np1015 error and cause the game to close.

Moreover, this mod does not allow players to do anything in the game they wouldn't be able to do normally. The changes applied to the game strictly relate to how the game is controlled and how the game is rendered.

I think Phantasy Star Online 2 is an awesome game and I would like to keep it that way - devoid of cheaters.

Disclaimer

This project is strictly the work of a fan and is not affiliated with Sega or any other game development organization. I respect the rights administered to Sega as both the developer and publisher of the game and will cease development on this project immediately if legally requested to do so.
    Last edited by HardLight620; Jun 12, 2016 at 10:12 AM.

If I actually had one, I'd definitely try this out. Looks cool.

Signature by Gama

This looks pretty neat. I wonder what playing gunner would be like.

I'm honestly impressed. If I ever needed a reason to buy an Oculus Rift, this would be it.

Mobile Heavy Armored Cast Sacrificial's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zorua View Post
    This looks pretty neat. I wonder what playing gunner would be like.
    Ill bet you'll get dizzy once the characters are rigged. xD

MultiCore------------Male Cast~~~~~~~~~~~Moriah----------------Female Dewman
    Zyonyl----------------Male Newman~~~~~~~~Shilka ZSU-----------Female Cast
    Quote Originally Posted by AIDA View Post
    Did you try turning it off and on again?

I don't have oculus.... but would a first person view mod be possible in a similar way???

Quote Originally Posted by landman View Post
    I don't have oculus.... but would a first person view mod be possible in a similar way???
    Seconded. This is very cool, but it would be really nice for people who don't have the device to be able to experience a more simple first person view variant.

I hope you do end up fixing it for the new update when you can too because the new raid boss seems like it would be extremely awesome to do with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacrificial View Post
    Ill bet you'll get dizzy once the characters are rigged. xD
    I can imagine.

I'll probably try to go with the typical "reverse rigging" that the Oculus Rift uses where the character's head is bound to the HMD position while the rest of the animation plays around it. It's not too noticeable and it minimizes nausea for the player.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowth117 View Post
    Seconded. This is very cool, but it would be really nice for people who don't have the device to be able to experience a more simple first person view variant.

I hope you do end up fixing it for the new update when you can too because the new raid boss seems like it would be extremely awesome to do with this.
    Right now, the app has a toggle for stereoscopic rendering, so you can go ahead and set the FOV and Aspect Ratio to default and then toggle off the stereo rendering if you want a first person mode. Although the mod does lock the Y axis so you won't be able to look up or down... I'll see about adding more coherent support for regular first person mode in the next update.

I've found that the most impressive parts of the game so far are the giant bosses such as the Big Vardha. Especially in cases when you look up into the sky and see a hailstorm of missiles or lasers coming down on you. I can only imagine what fighting Magatsu will be like with this.

Hmm, so I get this when I try to use it:
    Detected PSO2 Window [PID:15932]
    Applying patches...
    VirtualProtectEx : Error 0x00000057 - The parameter is incorrect
    Patches applied.

Not sure why that would happen. Happens with default launcher and Tweaker. I'm using Wtfast to connect if that matters. Nothing else should be injecting into it that I can think of (I've had Dxtory on, but got the same issue without it). I also don't have an HMD as I implied before which might make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowth117 View Post
    Hmm, so I get this when I try to use it:
    Detected PSO2 Window [PID:15932]
    Applying patches...
    VirtualProtectEx : Error 0x00000057 - The parameter is incorrect
    Patches applied.

Not sure why that would happen. Happens with default launcher and Tweaker. I'm using Wtfast to connect if that matters. Nothing else should be injecting into it that I can think of (I've had Dxtory on, but got the same issue without it). I also don't have an HMD as I implied before which might make a difference.
    I saw that bug pop up a few times when I was testing. I know what part of the patcher causes it, but I don't know exactly why yet. Overall, it's not fatal and the mod should still run just fine unless you get something else besides the "Patches Applied"/"Response Received" messages.

I'll have look and see about making a fix for it next update.