Default Difference between NT & Non-NT gear?

Hi, i'm pretty new to the game and have been wondering what is the difference between New-type and old-type gear? I have gotten quite a few 7-10* rares from EQs and they were mostly Non-NT. I also notice they have lower stats compared to the NT weapon that i'm using atm.

Should i be keeping the Old type weapons or can i just use them as fodder for grinding/desynthesis? I'm actually quite in a dilemma right now on what gear to use as i don't really understand both the NT & old gear system.

Old Gear System:
    -Only uses Grinders and Meseta
    -Grinding raises the level +1 at a time and has a chance to fail and, sometimes, a chance to drop the grind level from 1-3 levels. All of this is dependant on the rarity of the weapon and the current grind level
    -Each grind level adds percentage at a very high rate (as much as doubling the base value of the weapon by 12*, though 13* goes down to only a 40% increase over base)
    -Weapon Cap is +10. At +10 you get to select a 'potential' which adds a unique effect to the weapon and resets its grind level. Potentials go up to 3 Levels so a weapon must be brought to +10 4 times.

Newtype Grinding:
    -Utilizes Grinders, Weapons and Meseta
    -Weapons fed to the NT will add 'Grind EXP', which will increase the level
    -Soft Cap is +30, feeding copies of the same weapon allow you to increase it as high as +35
    -Instead of resetting level to gain potentials, the Potential is obtained and leveled at +10, +20, and +30.
    -Grinding cannot fail, there is a chance that "Great Success" will occur to increase how much EXP is gained
    -The base power of the weapon is higher, and the power increase per level is much slower (1% per level, capping at +35% of the base power if maxed)

Old Gear System:
    -Only uses Grinders and Meseta
    -Grinding raises the level +1 at a time and has a chance to fail and, sometimes, a chance to drop the grind level from 1-3 levels. All of this is dependant on the rarity of the weapon and the current grind level
    -Each grind level adds percentage at a very high rate (as much as doubling the base value of the weapon by 12*, though 13* goes down to only a 40% increase over base)
    -Weapon Cap is +10. At +10 you get to select a 'potential' which adds a unique effect to the weapon and resets its grind level. Potentials go up to 3 Levels so a weapon must be brought to +10 4 times.

Newtype Grinding:
    -Utilizes Grinders, Weapons and Meseta
    -Weapons fed to the NT will add 'Grind EXP', which will increase the level
    -Soft Cap is +30, feeding copies of the same weapon allow you to increase it as high as +35
    -Instead of resetting level to gain potentials, the Potential is obtained and leveled at +10, +20, and +30.
    -Grinding cannot fail, there is a chance that "Great Success" will occur to increase how much EXP is gained
    -The base power of the weapon is higher, and the power increase per level is much slower (1% per level, capping at +35% of the base power if maxed)
    I see, thanks for taking the time to explain the two systems.

I'm probably still too new to PSO2 so i'm finding it strange at why they decided to add a 2nd upgrade system. At first i thought the NT weapons was suppose to replace the old system but apparently it doesn't seem like it since not all weapons have a NT version.

Ideally, what should i be striving for then? NT or non NT weapons? How do both types of weapons compare stat-wise and do old weapons have some sort of stat that NT doesn't have?

Apologies for the many questions lol.

Quote Originally Posted by meatsalad View Post
    Ideally, what should i be striving for then? NT or non NT weapons? How do both types of weapons compare stat-wise and do old weapons have some sort of stat that NT doesn't have?

Apologies for the many questions lol.
    The only non NT weapons i could see that are useful are most of the *12 weapons from DF Elder and Loser because of hidden pot, and the almighty Austere.