Default PSO type Clone on Unity

Hi everyone, for the last 5 years I've been coding under different names to help progress in learning and getting better with what I do. I've always wanted to make a game but I wanted to wait for something I feel motivated about, since a young kid I have adored PSO and given that PSO2 is not out in the UK yet I wanted to try my hand at my own version.

Now I know a lot of people are wary about indie games especially those created in little time, but I do plan to follow through with this game even if I end up making the SDK public for others to use or learn from.

------------

I'm trying to recreate that Phantasy Star experience without completely copying it, I've seen most of the videos on Youtube of PSO Clones made on Unity and I haven't seen a bit of Gameplay just buttons editing float variables.

I've been working on this for a week and posting updates to twitter constantly, but this is what I have so far, keep in mind that the GUI will change once more gameplay is added to somewhat resemble PSO but at the moment I'm focusing more on the game code and I suck at artwork:

• Account Sign-in
    • Account Synchronization
    • Lobby and Rooms
    • Working Multiplayer
    • Ability to share stats on network
    • Synchronized animations and stats

To start with I wanted to build a base, get the major things like accounts, basic animations and things to a base level so I can progress to a playable state and be able to come back and edit.

Upon starting you're requested to login in the account section, then from here on out you can hit play, you'll join a lobby that's hosted by PUN+ (Cloud Server) and be bought to a room list, now I did want to do what PSO BB did where you'd go to a desk etc but right now I'd rather focus on other things so rooms are shown as buttons with the room name and player count.

The base gameplay isn't there just yet, but I'm working on that in the next few days, adding a base enemy to test with, setting up working doors, vendors and things. I'm not here looking for followers or any fame, just wanted to share my work with people who share the same love for a game.

Lobby Screen:
    Spoiler!

First Player:
    Spoiler!

Paused:
    Spoiler!

Co-Operative:
    Spoiler!
    Last edited by PixelGhost; Mar 25, 2015 at 08:55 PM.

Take a look at this thread, you might find some interesting stuff.

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225038
    Quote Originally Posted by loukaras View Post
    PSO-World is a game?

Thanks I shall check it out now, though I don't plan to completely recreate or clone PSO, just create a game in similar styles and use it as inspiration.

EDIT: I've started to create a template for the layout, I'm not experienced enough yet for Textures/Models so I'll either hire someone or try and learn down the line but the base of the game is taking shape. Here's a picture featuring a full party and the weaponsmith vendor I'm working on atm.

Spoiler!
    Last edited by PixelGhost; Mar 26, 2015 at 07:24 AM.

Looks interesting, keep it up!
    Busy doing nothing...

Thank you and I shall.

At the moment I'm setting up base templates, so for example the Vendor has interaction code but at the moment is locked to Speech "I'm sorry I'm not open for business yet" but the code for buying/selling is there, just no items added yet.

I'm trying to get base templates for everything set up first, so that once it's in a playable state I can go back and set everything up properly. Like I said I'm not even good at Textures/Models so when it comes to the map and stuff I can only create what I can using Unity, I'd prefer to use my own resources than to use Assets or anything else that belongs to someone else.

The way the login system works at the moment is you'll create an account on my website where the password is encrypted and salted and the game will check against that, at the moment I'm using the free subscription to PUN which only allows 20 users max, but down the line I'll either pay for a higher subscription or host the server myself on my Dedicated Server I own.

I've been thinking about the weapons too and because of my lack of skills with textures/models I'll probably have a base model for each weapon and then the upgrades will be reskins.

I'm trying to focus on the Ship at the moment, so that once you party up you can get a feel for it, because I don't plan to recreate or clone PSO 100% I'll be using test names such as "forest_1" to start with, so I hope I can recreate that PSO feeling.

Here's a very bad picture of the Ship spawn atm:
    Spoiler!

Also is it okay to post updates here or should I keep them to my own sites?

EDIT: I've uploaded a video showing what I have so far, to an extent: Video

I've also began creating a basic website that features login/register and allows you to share your players stats like this

Also I've gotten the teleporter functional and created a test map called Forest, not sure why but the lighting messed up a little:
    Spoiler!
    Last edited by PixelGhost; Mar 26, 2015 at 10:48 PM.

It's only been like a day but I would like to think I've made some progress, I've uploaded a new video showcasing it's current stage and at the moment I'm working on getting the HUD/PlayerNames working then I'll probably start on either finishing the shops or adding the first weapon to test with: Video