Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default College! advice?

I'm finally in damn college.

Committed to California Art Center @ Pasadena CA, the #1 Art school for Video game concept art and direction.

Had a choice between RISD, Pratt, Cooper Union, Columbia, Parsons, MICA, and Art Center, some gave me some generous merit based scholarships, but I chose Art Center, who gave me a "merit" scholarship but took it away because according to my FAFSFA my family's income is "evident" that I didn't "need it", explaining that their "merit" scholarships are tied to "need".

So How do I pay back these humongous student loans.

check out my website below
    http://frewinhu.weebly.com/

Who is this guy again? Shadowpawn's Avatar

Pfft, he said "pay back."

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpawn View Post
    Pfft, he said "pay back."
    Ouch, that sounds harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by infiniteeverlasting View Post

So How do I pay back these humongous student loans.
    Path 1: Busy hell
    Get a part time job that fits your schedule and because you're in an art school start opening up commissions.

Path 2: Risk it
    Don't get a job to allow you to have time to develop skillfully in your major so that you can get a good paying job.

Tips:
    Don't be that sucker that procrastinates a lot and stay on budget.

Ugh. Definitely try and get a job in your free time. You're almost certainly still going to have a crapload of debt after the fact, but at least you'll start making some kind of dent in it early on.

Is there some kind of appeal you can make in regards to the lost scholarship?

Quote Originally Posted by strikerhunter View Post
    Path 1:
    Get a part time job that fits your schedule and because you're in an art school start opening up commissions.

Path 2: Risk it
    Don't get a job to allow you to have time to develop skillfully in your major so that you can get a good paying job.

Tips:
    Don't be that sucker that procrastinates a lot and stay on budget.
    how much costs can you typically cut just by eating out less and cooking more, buying hand me down materials/textbooks, and just trying to conserve the use of electric heat and water?

Path 2 seems risky, but is impossible to balance both plans? I heard stories where they say college is like a triangle and you can only pick one side.

Starting salaries according to school stats range from lowest of 66,000 to 130,000

My dad said that's not enough to pay off your debt quickly if you take into the account of tax, 401k, insurance, living expenses, which will probably leave me with 2k extra left in my pocket (and this is with the calculation of a 100k+ salary). After hearing all this I was about to turn republican.

Is this true? I don't trust my dad since he often exaggerates things just to stress me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Outrider View Post
    Ugh. Definitely try and get a job in your free time. You're almost certainly still going to have a crapload of debt after the fact, but at least you'll start making some kind of dent in it early on.

Is there some kind of appeal you can make in regards to the lost scholarship?
    they gave me the excuse: "we're a small school, so we have a limited amount of scholarships we can give out each year, and according to your fasfa, you don't need it"

well, ty, cuz my dad is only willing to pay for 30% of my tuition and I'm flying all the way from east coast to come here, they should be a bit more generous honestly.

The funniest thing about FASFA is it's interest rate is 6% WHICH IS HIGHER THAN GODDAMN MORTGAGE RATES. jesus christ, who the hell would even bother taking a government loan? IT's just ridiculous.
    Last edited by Ketchup345; May 1, 2015 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Double post

Get the hell out o' there.

You'll probably just end up selling cell phones or something after you graduate anyway.

Dreams are dead, etc.
    Last edited by BIG OLAF; May 1, 2015 at 05:06 PM.

I pay 700 dollars a month for my loans, and that even is hardly scratching much of the surface.
    if you can make huge payments on loans in large bursts do so. The less interest you gotta pay back the better. Like the first 2 months, i burned around 2000 dollars ontop of the 700 i do every month.

So, strongly suggesting you find somekind of work even if its unrelated to your subject matter at the time til you get a "good job."

"It looks cool this way, let's stop."

Play the lotto, get a part time job, and start saving.
    Cooking food at home can save tons of money, if you are willing to eschew variety. A $1 pack of dried pasta can serve for about 6 or 7 meals, and you can make a $6 pound of ground meat last a few days by freezing the unused portions. Also, potatoes; a single potato can serve as an entire meal. Oh, also, also, always buy generic store brand, especially stuff like frozen veggies.
    Last edited by Anduril; May 1, 2015 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayara View Post
    I pay 700 dollars a month for my loans, and that even is hardly scratching much of the surface.
    if you can make huge payments on loans in large bursts do so. The less interest you gotta pay back the better. Like the first 2 months, i burned around 2000 dollars ontop of the 700 i do every month.

So, strongly suggesting you find somekind of work even if its unrelated to your subject matter at the time til you get a "good job."
    That sounds logical, but does this all mean you got no more extra money for personal use afterwards? I mean tuition is 30k not including dorming. If you include all living expenses with the tuition it's 60k a year I'm spending which puts it right up with Columbia and RISD without the scholarships. This all sounds depressing for my wallet in the future.

Well assuming I get a job with 83k salary which is median starting salary art center, according to my dad I will have like only 500$ to pay back loans, which sounds ridiculous. Why is college even a thing if you can't even come out and earn money cuz of the debt up your butt.

College is so expensive nowadays and it's actually a legit problem, but that's another discussion.

Ty for all the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
    Play the lotto, get a part time job, and start saving.
    Cooking food at home can save tons of money, if you are willing to eschew variety. A $1 pack of dried pasta can serve for about 6 or 7 meals, and you can make a $6 pound of ground meat last a few days by freezing the unused portions. Also, potatoes; a single potato can serve as an entire meal. Oh, also, also, always buy generic store brand, especially stuff like frozen veggies.
    Dayum that sounds amazing, can I cut down 10k in living expenses per year just by doing this?
    Last edited by Ketchup345; May 1, 2015 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Double post