Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft, no.

Default Microsoft, no.

This is too long for bullshxt, so in it goes.

I waited so long to own a physical version of Windows 7. Why is it when I find a good deal and buy it, that its not what I wanted? I do not want the OEM version. DO. NOT. WANT. I wanted the retail commercial version. I've been avoiding OEM like the flipping plague, and it inevitably falls on my lap. Microsoft, why do you not sell Windows 7 on your website? When I do a search for 7, I'm looking for 7, not 8, not 8.1, not 10. "7" And to top it all off... WHY is it that the retail version costs $490-$620 on Amazon?? Calling stores for a physical retail version, and not one, not one sold. Newegg sells OEMs only, which is a huge letdown, and I don't trust Ebay. The last time I bought a Microsoft product was in 2005, and it was an XP Pro retail edition for $250. Good going making the next best version of your lineage unobtainable. Don't even get me started on Windows 10's interesting forced updates and security features being revealed. You were doing so well.

See Microsoft, this is why people download and crack your software.
    Last edited by Tyreek; Aug 18, 2015 at 03:23 AM.
    Remembering the Universe. Click below!

This may or may not help you: http://www.zdnet.com/article/seven-p...-or-even-free/

Honestly why do you NOT want the OEM version? I'm confused.

As for Win10:

Win10 isn't an OS, as Microsoft itself has said so eloquently: “Windows as a Service”

You won't own it, you just get to use it; and any changes they decide to force down your throat you'll just take like a piece of asian street meat.

For those unaware:

"The EULA also gives Microsoft permission to kill drivers to unauthorized gaming hardware, like third-party controllers with turbo switches and similar additional benefits."

Why isn't that getting more press coverage? They're basically saying they can tell you what hardware you can use on your PC, and when the fuck is that ever ok? What, is Microsoft the new peripheral police? I can't use a fucking controller with turbo switches and so on because....? Oh but if it's a MICROSOFT licensed product with turbo switches I'm sure it'll be a-ok.

Forget Win10, they're going abit too far with their over-arching control of the end user experience. Forcing OS patches/updates(even if the OS patch/update is FUBAR'd and can kill your system stability), deleting pirated software(read into it further, they can delete shit from your computer on a whim, remotely. Is that not scary to most of you? It should be.)
    Look, he did it again.

Quote Originally Posted by ABDUR101 View Post
    Honestly why do you NOT want the OEM version? I'm confused.
    From my understanding, Retail versions are "you own it, you can apply that Windows to any computer you own, as long as only 1 computer at a time is using it." OEM versions are tied to a single motherboard and may require a phone call if the motherboard is replaced.

Also, in case service help is needed, won't Retail get you proper tech support from Microsoft, while OEM means you're on your own in finding a solution (assuming you built the computer/installed Windows for yourself)?

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchup345 View Post
    From my understanding, Retail versions are "you own it, you can apply that Windows to any computer you own, as long as only 1 computer at a time is using it." OEM versions are tied to a single motherboard and may require a phone call if the motherboard is replaced.

Also, in case service help is needed, won't Retail get you proper tech support from Microsoft, while OEM means you're on your own in finding a solution (assuming you built the computer/installed Windows for yourself)?
    Yeah, pretty much. In the eyes of Microsoft, OEM implies that you bought the computer from someone else, like a big box store or a "design your own computer" site, so those people are responsible for helping you.

Ketchup and Anduril are right on the money. You'll get no support from Microsoft, and installation is tied to the motherboard. And in the event of an upgrade, I'm SOL. I read in an Amazon review that someone tried to contact Microsoft in this issue, and they refused to help him, unless he bought a new license. Yeah, not doing that shit. Its ridiculous that I have to pay a fortune just to get the retail version. And Microsoft doesn't even sell it anymore. I'm all for supporting company products, but I'll be damned if I let Windows 8 touch my babies.

ok, let me clarify: I've got Win7 Home Premium, OEM release. My motherboard was fried around christmas of this past year; and I had to install an entirely different brand of motherboard. I booted up my HDD and had no problems.

I've also reinstalled Win7 afew different times due to a faulty SSD since then aswell. I've had no issues reinstalling motherboards or having to make calls to Microsoft to install my OEM Win7 64bit Premium.
    Look, he did it again.

I want to take your word for it, I really do. But I don't think I can take that chance with it. Their OEM terms, plus the talk I hear from it tells me to stay away from it. I'm trying to... future proof everything I'm preparing for, if I can explain it like that. Honestly, I do want a reason to not have to refund this purchase, and think it will all work out. But I'm very, very skeptical. I'm almost ready for my rig to get completed, and I'd hate to find that I screwed myself by getting a restrictive version, that I can do nothing about, if I face a computer hazard down the road.

Understandable and A-ok by me, just letting you know my experience with an OEM version of Win7. I wish you luck in finding a retail copy at a decent price.

I understand the sentiment of future proofing your system, things aren't looking good for Win10; and Win7 has maybe five years left in it before it becomes obsolete. My hope is that by then, there is a very strong competitive OS for Windows; and no I don't consider iOS, Linux or Ubuntu to be competitive. =p
    Look, he did it again.

I do have to remember having to call up Microsoft when I was swapping motherboards in and out (trying to diagnose an issue, turned out to be the processor itself). It may have been because of multiple motherboards attempted within a very short time frame (minimum 3 replacements in a 2 week span). The phone call was quick, painless, and automated on their end (decently IIRC).

although I've really enjoyed Windows 10's features and improvements, the legal / security aspect is definitely something to think about, especially with the permission of allowing developers to have some of your anonymous data sent to them. I will say one thing though:

Quote Originally Posted by ABDUR101 View Post
    For those unaware:

"The EULA also gives Microsoft permission to kill drivers to unauthorized gaming hardware, like third-party controllers with turbo switches and similar additional benefits."

Why isn't that getting more press coverage? They're basically saying they can tell you what hardware you can use on your PC, and when the fuck is that ever ok? What, is Microsoft the new peripheral police? I can't use a fucking controller with turbo switches and so on because....? Oh but if it's a MICROSOFT licensed product with turbo switches I'm sure it'll be a-ok.

Forget Win10, they're going abit too far with their over-arching control of the end user experience. Forcing OS patches/updates(even if the OS patch/update is FUBAR'd and can kill your system stability), deleting pirated software(read into it further, they can delete shit from your computer on a whim, remotely. Is that not scary to most of you? It should be.)
    This is absolutely false, and please stop scaremongering.
    What that EULA you're referring to is the Microsoft Services Agreement, this is for the usage of services like OneDrive, Xbox Live, Skype, and other Microsoft Services. Windows 10 is not apart of the EULA. It's just repeating what's already in action and what's been in action for a while now with services like Steam and other DRM services. A big example of the action taken is that connecting to Xbox Live while playing a pirated or unauthorized copy of a game can lead you to being banned, this has been in action for awhile now.

As for the unauthorized hardware usage, there's really no reason why that shouldn't apply to services like Xbox Live and GFWL. Additional benefits are indeed enjoyable to use, but are banned from online usage because, y'know....that's cheating. Using stuff like 'Rapid Fire' controllers in competitive environments are looked down at for a reason, man. Microsoft wouldn't sell a turbo switch controller for that reason alone, I'm willing to bet they even felt the Xbox One pro controller was heading in that territory.
    Also, not from Microsoft themselves, but:

Last edited by shagia; Aug 19, 2015 at 01:10 AM.
    shagia * ship 2 * tumblr