Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Challenge Quest 2: Mission 1-5 Tips and Strategies WIP (M1-3 done)

Work in progress. Waiting for more info before I do a full writeup.
    In the meantime, most of the guide will be stuff pasted from the general forum post.

Note: There's a new chat command <getitem> or <gi> which shows the last picked up item.
    So you can say <gi>いただきました, etc.

What is Challenge Quest?

Read this for the basics:
    http://www.bumped.org/psublog/pso2s-...ng-march-11th/

The shop items are all in Japanese! How do I read them?

http://www.bumped.org/psublog/pso2-j...al-area-shops/

How is Challenge Quest 2 different from 1?

It's a lot more straightforward. If you're good at combat, it shouldn't be much of a problem. It also only takes about 25 minutes to complete.
    When compared with an equal amount of time spent in Challenge Quest 1, the amount of Miles received is slightly less.

Etiquette:

- Don't pick up capsules, unless there is no designated time manager or you're very low on time.
    - Picking up red crystal (miles) is global, so anyone can do it whenever.
    - Don't choose VR capsule switches when you have tons of VR time. Go for the red Miles crystals.
    - Don't pick up items dropped by other players (white dots) unless you really need them, or nobody else is picking them up.
    - EXP is limited, so try to make sure everyone is present (ie. in the same area) and alive to receive EXP.
    - You can only get as far as your multi is able to. This means you need to help them so that they can help you.
    - Many rare drops (disks, weapons, units) rely on players dropping them for each other, for maximum effectiveness.
    - If you have unwanted disks or other rare equipment, you should drop them for others instead of scrapping them or buying stuff you probably won't use.
    - If you're going to drop stuff for other people, try to announce it so that that they will know something is being dropped.
    - Don't drop items right next to bosses in combat. Good places include: in front of where everyone will be headed, at intervals, and at the start of new areas.
    - If you notice lots of people leaving, then someone in the multi probably screwed up (eg. picking up VR time capsules when the timer is full). Try not to be that person.
    - If enemies are targeting you, don't drag them towards people fighting other enemies/bosses.
    - Don't hog all the rare items for yourself. One good weapon is enough.

Crucial Points

- The speed that VR energy time decreases depends on number of players in the multi. This means that you really need to pull your weight.
    - Even if someone disconnects, the VR energy time speed will not re-adjust.
    - VR energy capsules restore varying amounts (check the item name). For maximum time, only pick VR energy capsules up when the meter has sufficiently depleted.
    - For best results, you'll want to try and end every mission with as much time as possible.
    - Challenge Dolls NEGATE the VR energy loss from death. You can only carry 2 at once, and you can drop them for other people.
    - If you have spare Grinders, keep at least one Challenge Doll on you at all times (but don't rely on it).
    - The VR energy timer stops when anyone enters the Interval room. You can assign someone to wait at the exit, to leave immediately and stop the timer.
    - Pick up all items that drop from enemies. Watch the map to make sure you've looted everything (green dots). VR energy capsules look like a tiny green hourglass.
    - Spare weapons can be exchanged for 5 Grinders per weapon in Interval Area 1.

Important Basics

- Try to learn how to use EVERY weapon. You can learn weapons in the normal game. Buy cheap weapons/PAs, go to the first monkey quest and experiment!
    - Always approach Challenge Mode with the mindset that you're a naked level 1.
    - Don't take risks. Always try to avoid getting hit. Dying eats up a large chunk of VR energy. Stay alive, but also stay aggressively offensive.
    - Don't forget that you can use any weapon. Just keep in mind that you need to be able to afford them, and that other players need good equip too.

Tips

- There are spots where multiple ranged enemies will spawn. They tend to focus on whomever is closest to them on spawn, so be very cafeful not to get focus-fired by them.
    - As long as you're not dying a lot, level ups will occur at roughly the same locations. You can avoid wasting healing items by simply waiting for the level up.
    - If you're a good player or have good equipment, take the initiative and tag/kill tough enemies ahead of everyone else. You can also pull them away from the party.
    - Don't tag multiple bosses, as they will then overlap and fighting them without taking damage will become much more difficult.
    - Carrying a magic weapon for Mirage Escape can help with Code Avoid or other sticky situations. Don't forget that Wand Lovers can be switched off.
    - A spare gun or gunslash can be used to safely regenerate PP at a distance.
    - Always try to aim for the enemy's head or other weak points.
    - You can see dropped items on the map as white dots instead of green.
    - Organized groups may want to designate a specific person for managing capsules or sorting all loot. Note that if this person disconnects, all their loot will disappear.
    - Hunar will power up in a fiery red blaze before unleashing his AOE death stun wave attack. Move far away BEFORE he does the attack.

Tips for Clearing

- Don't try to be a one-man army, a single person can't do everything. If you have good stuff, distribute it evenly amongst the multi.
    - You shouldn't have more than one good rare weapon, unless nobody else needs it.
    - Challenge Dolls are only really helpful to prevent deaths that end the run (ie. VR timer is low), and to save time in the final mission. A good multi shouldn't need to buy Challenge Dolls.

Group Roles
    Spoiler!

Zonde: ゾンデ (Zonde), 雷 (lightning) <- unconfirmed reference names
    During Mission 3, there will be some poles that can be struck with lightning Techs.
    These make some battles much, much easier. For this purpose, there should always be one person with a lightning Tech.
    [/spoiler-box]

VR Energy Management Tips
    Spoiler!

Communication

Work in progress. Temporary links with information:
    http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227722

Roles:(copy pasted from final_attack because I'm lazy)
    タゲ (Tage) = Tag
    VR管理 (VR kanri), en (energy), or just 管理 or sometimes かんり = VR manager
    先行 (senkou) = Rush (Time stopper)
    ブルフ先行 (senkou) = Bulf Rush (rush ahead aggro Code Avoid Gel Bulfs)

Add "やります" after the above to say you're going to do that role.
    Under Quick Menu, you can set it as your Online Status Free Message.

Other important messages:
    さがってください = "stand back, please" (usually before Code Avoid, etc)
    待機 = "standby/wait here" (usually during M8's gauntlet if there isn't enough time)

More to come later.

General character setup tips

- Drops are highly random and unreliable. You may not be able to trade for the setup you want.
    - Planning ahead is important because some stuff can only be obtained early on.
    - Casters will suffer from poor PP regen until you can get PP Charge Revival.
    - Some weapons may seem weak earlier but strong later. The opposite is also true.
    - All Interval 1 weapons except the Dual Blades can be upgraded to 11 stars at Interval 2.

Recommended Weapons + Skills

1. Katana, Guren Tessen, Sakura Endo, Weak Stance, Katana Combat (not as important)
    2. Dual Blades (relies on rare drops for better weapon), Disperse Shrike, Photon Blade Fever, Heavenly Kite

Mission walkthrough:

You may want to decide roles before you begin. Possible roles to decide:
    - VR Manager (picking up VR energy capsules)
    - M2/4 Aggro/Hate/Threat (grabbing and holding enemy attention)
    - M2 Photon Cannon (at Mizer, two people go left to use/defend the cannon, two people go right to activate the switches/buttons)
    - M2 Lilipa and M5 Beize split (4 groups for north, south, east, west)
    - M3 Zonde user
    - M3 Code Avoid Rush (to go over the gap quickly and shoot the Gel Bulf. 2 people for higher guarantee of success)
    - M4 Bomb Disabler
    - Interval rush (wait at the exit to stop the timer)

Mission 1 (Tundra)

Spoiler!

Mission 2 (Mines)

Spoiler!

Interval Area 1

Spoiler!

Mission 3 (Floating Continent)

Spoiler!

Mission 4 (Tundra)

Spoiler!

Interval Area 2
    Spoiler!

Mission 5 (Ultimate Lilipa)

Spoiler!

Thanks for reading.

Credits:
    - JP swiki people (lots of info)
    - Everyone.

WIP Copy Pasta:

Z-0's "stuff":

Quote Originally Posted by Z-0 View Post
    Stuff:

In M2, there are three switches to the right -- two switches to attack and one to step on. If you get all three, a Photon Cannon spawns to the west which does a lot of damage on the Mizer and makes it much faster. It has infinite range so just a few people can organise to get the cannon. Note that 2 Wondas spawn when you get in it though, so be careful.

After the warp after Mizer, you can ignore the darkers and Lilipans and go straight for Malluda. It is a good idea to set up one player to be an aggro in this case (like Start) so that all players are able to focus on Malluda without much worry.

Make sure there is one player with Zonde in Mission 3, as the totem poles are really helpful. There are also 4 hidden VRs on each island in this mission.

In Mission 4, going north is definitely the superior option, do not bother with south. One ~ Two aggro people would be recommended to hold the invincible darkers.

There are 5% VRs in the air while you pult in M5, so make sure you spam confirm as you go over. :P

Z-0's general plan:

Generally CM is always about going fast, but it's similar to CM1, where you have a certain player go into the Funji, a certain player grab aggro of bosses, etc...

This is how we have it planned up right now:

Things decided before warp
    Spoiler!

M1
    Spoiler!

M2
    Spoiler!

I1
    Spoiler!

M3
    Spoiler!

M4
    Spoiler!

I2
    Spoiler!

M5
    Spoiler!

Before complaining the mission is too easy, try to do it with a full mile clear. It gives you pretty much double the miles and is a lot harder and more fun.

Lisk's simple guide to 5000 mile clears:

Quote Originally Posted by Lisk View Post
    Here's a simple guide for 5000 mile clears based on how I've been doing them (since day 1!). I rely on Massive Otome for braindead play in the main game, so little dexterity is required. I don't play Braver either. Do beware that this guide advocates almost only using a single PA and weapon type for the majority of the run. It also doesn't touch on roles.

Spoiler!

tl;dr use katana and spam guren tessen the whole way through

Adios' how to beat Anga:

Quote Originally Posted by adios View Post
    btw I bought snatch JA combo but it didn't work with a katana... am I missing something or is that a bug?

Anga has the following sets of patterns to watch for assuming you have aggro, specifically.

non-rage modes:
    -bits shoot lasers at you from his actual body every 3-5 seconds (can step when they aim 1s beforehand to avoid damage or block them entirely)
    -bits leave his body and shoot at you from random angles (doesn't happen often and can be annoying due to hit stun)
    -slowly rotates like a big ferris wheel, hurling his butt at you 3-4 times (just block, can't do anything else when it's doing this).
    -flips himself over and smacks you 5-6 times (total smacks increases with a big mpa and aggro person loses aggro which randomly happens for now reason)
    -short alarm sound followed by his stun attack (easy to block) followed by 1-2 wb shower which you can easily step away from if you successfully blocked the stun
    -quickly flips over and dive bombs the ground 2-3 times depending on your position (if in phase2, he does these dive bomb attacks, then sweeps around the ground a few times before doing it again).

rage modes (depends on both the day and run):

day dependence: When anga rotates 90 degrees to shoot shit out of his butt, he will do 1 of the 3 following attacks depending on the day (changes every 24 hours and changes based on block iirc):
    1) shoots a semi-opaque bomb that splits off into smaller opaque bouncing orbs that knock-back your char if they hit you (smaller bombs do not home in, they just fall in random directions)
    2) shoots 3 bright small orbs that track the person with aggro (if they miss you, they can loop around once and still hit you)
    3) shoots giant laser that blows your character back and onto the ground

run dependence: every run, when anga rotates 90 degrees to shoot these various attacks, he will either
    1) not teleport between every attack
    2) teleport before/after every attack
    from what I've noticed, this depends just on the run, not the day; a coin flip basically.

Think I got most of it there.

Z-0's shop listings:

Second box in M1 gives a set weapon and the third box gives 2 set PAs though. . .

Shops:
    Spoiler!

Messy formatting, I also couldn't be bothered putting the prices in for everything.

Naoya Kiriyama and Sora3100's shop listings:

Quote Originally Posted by Naoya Kiriyama View Post
    In case someone's interested, here's translations of the items in i1 and i2 shops, thanks Sora3100 for the screenshots and cirnopedia for reference.

Interval 1
    Spoiler!

Interval 2
    Spoiler!

TheszNuts' PAs/Skills shop listings image:

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
    Last edited by TaigaUC; Sep 2, 2015 at 01:19 AM.

Ok, here's complete list of i2 shop. Have to warn that I didn't put the requirements for those.

Interval 2 shop
    Spoiler!

Thanks. I intend to translate from the JP swiki eventually anyway.

does m4 have any hidden VR capsule?

According to the current JP swiki, only 3 and 5 have hidden VR capsules.

In M3, DB users can "Dispersion Strike" and Shift Action across the descended platform toward the Photon Cannon. Doing so, they can eliminate the Gel Bulfs fast, while the rest of the MPA are down below handling the dirandals (whatever they're called).

There are charging dragonkins with their shields, but they always fail to hit me.

Also, Brisa Set is really, OP in CM2, IMO.

Destruct Wing also sometimes drops. Not always, though.
    If someone else is already on the Gel Bulfs, DB users can drop halfway down and hover above the charging dragonkins, Disperse Shriking them in the head.

Is getting Katana Combat at I1 recommended?

I sometimes grab it, sometimes don't. I personally feel like I don't use it that much though. What does everyone else do?

I honestly feel like Katana Combat isn't that useful; you can't generate enough hits quickly without Kanran (interval two), before the MPA wipes the majority of enemies out already. And/so without enough hits, KC is weak anyways, plus you need to find the Combat Finish Disk for more damage.

In M5, KC is still useless, enemies gets wiped out so fast anyways.

Combat Escape isn't needed as well; CM2 is too easy already as is.