Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Default Normalizing movement speed and then messing it up again? =/

I just don't understand why Sega would normalize movement speed by increasing the running speed and thereby decreasing the need / desire to use exploitative frame skips; only to turn around and add MORE skills and PAs that make the classes that can dash (ie. BR) even FASTER than before?

I certainly understand the benefits of having different types of attack speed in relation to power to add diversity, but this disparity in out-of-combat movement speed is very unfair.

*HU shows up to crack some skulls and everything is already dead.

Looks like we're back to the good old days.

Mods: I meant to post this in the general PSO2 forum, so if you see this, feel free to move it.
    Last edited by MidCap; Oct 29, 2015 at 10:30 PM.

Does it really matter?

It's not like anyone complaining about "exploitive movements" are going to do anything that requires it, anyway.

Well, it's exploitative inasmuch that it only occurs because it's an imperfect video game.

In real life, there's a cost to participating in additional activities in relation to how fast one can propel oneself. The greatest sprinters in the world are not swinging swords while sprinting because doing so would COST them movement speed. It would NOT cause them to move faster or instantly re-position their legs so they could take another step sooner.

Dashing in video games by frame-cancelling has been a persistent problem for decades. It reduces the suspension of disbelief, usually causes annoying, repetitive noises and jerky animations, and just looks dumb.

It's really sad that the gaming industry has not identified or dealt with this problem yet. I put it on the same level as polygonal tearing, except tearing is always being worked on. =/

Well this takes the cake for dumb complaints on this forum.

Why is it a dumb complaint?

I would rather have a game with disbelievable step dashing mechanics than some realistic game limiting the player to believable-only stuff.
    Devs nowadays are afraid to do anything fancy in case it breaks immersion.
    I miss old games which had stylized simple graphics where you could do anything and it wouldn't break immersion because it wasn't trying to be realistic.
    You could get away with simply writing what's happening in a text box, without having to animate it. Now people rage if your character doesn't visibly enact everything in fine detail.

Notice how a lot of these modern games have attacks that barely move position? That's because a lot of them are motion-captured instead of keyframed by hand.
    Makes for static, boring animations. Realistic, yes. But realism is boring as shit.
    I remember when I introduced WoW to a high school friend, and he just constantly bitched about every single little thing that wasn't "realistic".
    Needless to say, I no longer talk to that guy.

Anyway, PSO2 is not a game anyone should expect detailed realism from.
    It doesn't have hand animations, and it doesn't even have IKs on the legs for standing on slanted ground.
    Characters don't display facial animations unless you tell them to, and the available facial expressions look pretty awful on most characters.
    That is all pretty standard stuff for modern games.

That being said, I understand your concern about movement speed not being able to match PA stuff.
    But the fact is it takes skill to do fancy cancelling stuff. It doesn't take skill to hit V and go AFK.
    I'm grateful that at least regular running isn't slow as molasses like it used to be.
    Last edited by TaigaUC; Oct 30, 2015 at 12:03 AM.

I don't think the running speed increase was even about balancing movement between classes. I thought it was about reducing the incentive for things like quad stepping w/ weapon switching.

Quote Originally Posted by MidCap View Post
    Why is it a dumb complaint?
    Faulty logic. Realism does not create a better game. Fun does. Although realism can create fun, it can also detract from fun. Ergo, it is a subjective problem and stating that it's a problem with video games is total BS.

Even if you wanted to go for the realism route, dashing with attacks works just fine if you consider that ARKS most likely are not running at their maximum speed all the time, merely what can be sustained without exhaustion. When they perform an attack that propels themselves faster than they can run, it's because they're exerting themselves more than they would while running normally (or aren't even running in the case of Ilzonde/Zandeon travel).

Quote Originally Posted by Waku Waku View Post
    I don't think the running speed increase was even about balancing movement between classes. I thought it was about reducing the incentive for things like quad stepping w/ weapon switching.
    This is the stated intent yeah. Just like how Magatsu was capped because Sega wanted there to be more equalized reward between casuals and organized players, because the organized players were getting too much reward compared to the casual players. It wasn't because of how much EX cubes it gave, but because the organized players were getting so much more cubes than casual players that Sega deemed it unfair.
    Last edited by LonelyGaruga; Oct 30, 2015 at 12:05 AM.

If PSO2 wanted realism they wouldn't have put in those super deformed faces.
    Or any other number of weird stuff that PSO2 has.

If you want realism you're in the wrong place. Go play Call of Doody or something.
    Those games are designed to focus on delivering a reailstic cinematic experience.

I really wish traditional games and cinematic games were separated genres.
    It's a huge pain having to deal with people expecting one or the other from everything.
    There's a line where you can't have both fancy gameplay and cinematic realism, because they cancel each other out.
    Depending on the type of game, of course. It's easy to have cinematic realism in something like a scripted FPS.
    You can only do so much to suspend disbelief. Easiest way is to limit what the audience experiences/sees/does. That's why it negatively affects gameplay/control/possibilities.

Also, fun is subjective.
    Last edited by TaigaUC; Oct 30, 2015 at 12:11 AM.

i have to say i dont mind the quad step dash not being as effective for a legit reason

weapon swap stutters.. in ep2 if you had a quad dasher and you werent on good client rip being able to do anything. besides theres better methods now that dont even need constant non stop weapon swapping to do. oh and this thread is incredibly stupid just saying.