Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Profound Duckness SuperCentipede's Avatar

Default I need inspiration here

I started writing a novel some years ago. I got tired of it, gave up on it. Been meaning to came back and finish it.

Four years later, tried to do that. I haven't freshened up one bit! Not inspired, not motivated. It may as well have never been written.

Any advice?

Best I can say is try to get interested in your characters. Make them fresh or interesting. Think of their hobbies, favorite foods, off times, adventures, goals; maybe write a misadventure while your trying to gain interest.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

Work on something else too. If you have to force it, everyone is going to know you forced it. Is it possible you wrote yourself into a corner? If you're not invested in the characters or story anymore, maybe try restarting the story with a different setting or slightly different plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Vordex View Post
    Work on something else too. If you have to force it, everyone is going to know you forced it. Is it possible you wrote yourself into a corner? If you're not invested in the characters or story anymore, maybe try restarting the story with a different setting or slightly different plot.
    I have to agree with this; if you lost motivation or interest in the first place, odds are it just wasn't the right story for you, so there is no shame in starting again from the ground up.
    Last edited by Anduril; Sep 7, 2015 at 02:33 AM.

Music and drinking tea might help. I usually listen to video game music from the 80-90's

Other suggestion is reading to rekindle what you liked bout the story you were working on.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Planning to replay PSP2 and prove to myself that the chaining mechanic do not slow down the pace of the combat. =/
    Planning to replay PSU (ep1 and 2) for story and gameplay, PSZ and PSP2 offline mode Only Also I'm keeping my FC for psz up though the Network Mode is closed.

I lose interest and motivation once I know I can accomplish something (ie. it's not a challenge anymore).
    So, perhaps turning it into a challenge for yourself might help?
    How, though, I have no idea.

Otherwise, try doing something else and coming back to it later.
    Don't be like me and get stuck on unfinished work for years. Keep producing something.

Edit: My mistake, my reply is more towards "motivation" than "inspiration".
    Last edited by TaigaUC; Sep 11, 2015 at 10:25 PM.

The Profound Duckness SuperCentipede's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noblewine View Post
    Music and drinking tea might help. I usually listen to video game music from the 80-90's

Other suggestion is reading to rekindle what you liked bout the story you were working on.
    Thanks. That's the best suggestion yet. I've come too far to just leave it. I've started a new scene actually, but I keep getting writer's block.

But maybe I'm having trouble because I'm in a rut, but then again finishing this may be the only thing to get me out of it.

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

Take walks, or pace around your room. Get your blood flowing, but not too hard. I used to take a walk while I thought up a scene (rather, the wording of a scene. I have my scenes thought up well in advance, they're the easiest parts). By far the best way I made progress for them.
    Thanks for that, actually. I've been in a rut for a while. Maybe I'll take my own advice.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCentipede View Post
    Thanks. That's the best suggestion yet. I've come too far to just leave it. I've started a new scene actually, but I keep getting writer's block.

But maybe I'm having trouble because I'm in a rut, but then again finishing this may be the only thing to get me out of it.
    A problem I have at times is balancing my days out when I try to draw or study an art book. Keep at it and you'll get back into the flow. 0/
    --------------------------------------------------
    Planning to replay PSP2 and prove to myself that the chaining mechanic do not slow down the pace of the combat. =/
    Planning to replay PSU (ep1 and 2) for story and gameplay, PSZ and PSP2 offline mode Only Also I'm keeping my FC for psz up though the Network Mode is closed.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

Also, make smaller goals. Flesh out one character at a time, or do one chapter at a time. Don't try to do it all at once.