Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Question on Force weapons

So I'm currently using an Ideal Rod and have taken the skill that allows me to cast stored Techs for free when using a Rod. I view this as a big benefit on saving PP.
    Now I've just finished farming 60 Anga stones and am ready to buy an Ares weapon, but I'm wondering. Is it worth buying the Talis instead of the Rod?

Pros
    Cast close range Techs like Zanverse from a safer range.
    Makes mobbing easier with safe Zondeel.
    Gives me a filler to do when PP is low and PP Conversion is on CD
    Higher damage for normal Techs (At least for Ice, which had several free SP so I threw them into Talis Mastery, but I can focus SP into Talis Mastery once resets come in Jan)
    Usable by Techer, which allows for it to be used as a long range support weapon

Cons
    Makes some techs harder to use
    Costs PP to cast stored Techs, essentially making me pay twice to cast 1 Tech
    Filler doesn't restore as much PP as Rod whacks
    Lower Compound damage

Since I already have a 13* Rod, I'm leaning more towards getting the Ares Talis.
    I'm wondering if any Force out there can advise me on whether to upgrade to the better Rod or go for the Talis. Ignore the need for Mastery, I can easily do that for Ice right now and can spec into that for Fire and Electric once we get our resets in Jan (I assume).

just so we are on the same page:
    1. you want to match the element of techs you are using to enemy weakness
    2. you want to allign your weapons elemental attribute to the same of the tech you plan to use with the weapon because it matters for elemental conversion
    3. you want to max out (60) the elemental attribute because it matters for elemental conversion

now that we are on the same page, i wouldn't bother with a talis at all unless you explicitly feel like you can utilize it well with the techs of the element you plan to use them with, it also requires 5 skill points invested in the talis skill that only works when the talis is out to be a bit worse/on pair/a bit better than a rod equivalent - that said, some techs are really bad with a talis, right of my head, for example, safoie, a tech that is pretty much staple in a fire force arsenal for bossing and melting zondeeled mobs, efficient craft allowing for massive spam of it; sabarta also has some awkward interaction with it which specifics i don't remember now but on the other hand, nothing you couldn't get used to, lightning, can't say much about it as it's not really needed in current "endgame" content
    P S O W
    (´_ゝ`) current chars: ジョゼフィン / ジョゼフ / リノ | playerid: ponponparapara
    died to SEGAC corporate robots on 05/01/2016, never forget

Oh, I already know about that Joozek. :P
    I'm already pretty optimized in that regard, but thanks for the advice.

The things you mentioned were the main reason I decided to use a Rod, it was just easier to use Techs with it and doesn't require you to stop casting every few seconds to throw out a new projectile to keep the damage up.

Maybe I should just stick with a Rod then.

I would say Talis is just about the same as using a rod, I mean your gonna JA before the Tech anyways just your throwing something out instead of just swinging forward. (but you know, walls etc stopping the talis etc hazards)

I wouldnt say Safoie is a staple either, good spell though

Another point for Talis is the ability to safely Zan without having to worry about the thing I'm trying to Zan murdering me for getting too close.

I'd like to hear a few more opinions that extend further than "Use talis because with mastery they're slightly stronger" that you normally hear from the denizens of B1

not much else can be said about them, you could add a poll in this thread if you want to see how people see them but can't be bothered to post
    P S O W

Quote Originally Posted by Petunia View Post
    Another point for Talis is the ability to safely Zan without having to worry about the thing I'm trying to Zan murdering me for getting too close.

I'd like to hear a few more opinions that extend further than "Use talis because with mastery they're slightly stronger" that you normally hear from the denizens of B1
    Rod= Nice all around use with High T atk on the weapon, best for Compound Spells.

Talis= 20% dmg increase and can out damage Rod when the Talis is thrown, not everyones cup of tea but if you get used to using it you can enjoy the extra damage and extra safety (have to re-throw Talis every 4 Casts). Not the best for Compound spells

Could debate the ol Rod vs Talis but I'm not interested in that, it'll all come down to you, really it's like Joozek said, not much else can be thrown out there about it

checking now again, it seems like you can't add polls to already made thread now, i think you could in the past; you could try reporting your post and posting in the report a request about adding a poll and specifying options and poll question for the moderators, i think they can
    P S O W

I guess I could get the Talis then, as if I'm not satisfied with the damage or find it too finicky to use then I can just go back to my old 13* Rod. It's not like it'll be relevant for much longer, as once the servers go back up there's gonna be a brand new 13* weapon to obtain.