Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rappy Hunter

Default Time to end the private server ban

It's beyond time to end the private server ban.

I agreed with the ban when there were still official servers. Every person that unsubscribed for a free private server hastened the end of PSO.

Now there are no official servers left the ban serves no purpose and many other PSO websites have changed their policies to reflect this.
    Nintendo ID: Uaedaien - Add me for some Xenoblade Chronicles X

I'm also quite curious why the discussion of Private Servers is an issue, mostly because even if PSO-World is affiliated with SEGA in any way, SEGA haven't done anything for the West since 2010 (the release of Phantasy Star Portable 2).

I feel it's obvious that SEGA also don't care about it either... I understand the website is waiting for an official confirmation, but it's never going to happen either since Phantasy Star in the west has been so stagnant for so long. The server up since 2003 never received any action from SEGA either, even though they very well could have done anything to stop it.

SEGA still owns the rights to PSO-anything and technically the server files aren't obtained by any legal means at all. As such, the admins don't want us talking about it here. Yeah they are EXTREMELY xenophobic of the west, and most of it is the fault of all the cheaters we had, but SEGA will start caring, if it becomes a 'hot topic'.

Besides, PSO is OLD - the lack of interest even THOSE servers is showing itself now. Eventually we will have to say goodbye to PSO for good.
    Last edited by Mystil; Jan 30, 2016 at 09:41 AM.
    Miranda F Newman Fighter (PSO2: NG) Ship 2
    ~Past Characters~
    DC PSO: Silhouette HUnewearl 100 » 102 (Ver.2)
    GC PSO: Silhouette HUnewearl 161 :: Za'leshea FOnewearl 172
    PSU: Eternia F Beast FF15 Lvl142(PC) :: Elemia F Cast GM20 lvl174(360)

Phantasy Dad Online II Dragwind's Avatar

While at one time there was a conflict of interest because of official servers being up and running, that wasn't necessarily the only reason. Most members would probably disagree with the reasoning now as it doesn't apply to their personal interests, but the reasoning is one that is of the site owners and admins for good reasons. It's just about always been this way and it most likely won't change. At the end of the day, this site still has insane costs to keep up with as well as revenue generation, along with other goals just as anyone else. Try to keep that in mind. "Affiliations" is only a part of the equation. There is also reputation and legalities beyond the scope of what's mostly seen at the surface level of most users.

It's not that difficult to find other outlets to discuss private servers, but the fact of the matter is that it's something that you agree upon when using an account here and there's no plans to change it.
    PSO, PSU, PS:Po, PSZ | PSO2: Jergraw (All classes 90) Lunaeris Demoria (Fo/Te 90) Onlak (Hr 90)
    -**Tech crafting max- message me for crafts**-

Forum Rules - Read it!

We at ragol.co.uk actually made the decision to allow the discussion at one point (more as in mentioning the servers names), as it avoided issues with users always finding ways to nickname the servers in a different way.

Obviously one particular server started doing scams and shady stuff, i for once was glad pso-world didn't allow the discussion of servers and so we at ragol.co.uk simply decided to allow the discussion of Private servers but we made the effort to censure a particular server name as it was no longer reliable.

With PSO-World policy they kinda avoided any issues altogether, it's less stuff they need to worry about.

If you need to discuss a private server subject, just head to the server itself, most servers have forums you can use.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystil View Post
    Besides, PSO is OLD - the lack of interest even THOSE servers is showing itself now. Eventually we will have to say goodbye to PSO for good.
    I'll have to disagree with you.
    With a once major private server coming back to life, and another certain server having interesting new features added all the time, I'd say PSO is gonna keep kicking.
    PSOld is a timeless game I say, and discussion for it will continue as long as Phantasy Star in general is a thing, Hell, some people still discuss the original games.
    Furthermore, I actually just picked up PSO again and dropped PSO2.
    Lastly, everyone I've discussed the series with we have all come to an agreement on one thing; PSO, PSU, PSO2, (and even the Portable games to an extent) are all different and unique in their own ways, different "flavors" I guess.
    Interest for PSO is not what it once was, sure, but lack of interest is still good enough to warrant discussion.
    But that's my own thought.

PSOW's holding fast to this rule looks just as ridiculous as someone who was trapped on a desert island during WWII who still thinks the war is going on. It's time to become current: Sega doesn't care about this site anymore, and any official affiliation with Sega has been dissolved for years.

Any further clinging to this rule is just stupid pride, and the members should take note.

Quote Originally Posted by MidCap View Post
    PSOW's holding fast to this rule looks just as ridiculous as someone who was trapped on a desert island during WWII who still thinks the war is going on. It's time to become current: Sega doesn't care about this site anymore, and any official affiliation with Sega has been dissolved for years.

Any further clinging to this rule is just stupid pride, and the members should take note.
    Consult the site admins about it. They outlined the rules that we can't discuss about private servers and mods for the games.

It's just a matter of principle and there are other sites out there that are dedicated to the series, namely the private servers themselves, if you want to discuss it.
    Interested in playing PSP2i without starting over? Click here to get started or look here for people converting saves.

Well, this thread is an attempt at generating some discussion on the matter, but no person of authority appears to have anything to say about it.

Also, just because one owns a server / website / communication tool doesn't mean they never have to justify their position on anything. It's a normal expectation of human interaction.

I suppose someone COULD take the stance that they never have to justify themselves, but they'll soon find themselves presiding over zero people, as the disappointed members will move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryna View Post
    Any mention of that forum would fall under this site's private server rule. So that is a no-go.

If you have any questions, send me a PM.
    From the PSU section of the forums.
    Interested in playing PSP2i without starting over? Click here to get started or look here for people converting saves.