Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Snowy (revision 03/05/16)

Okay, here's are slightly revised version. I hope it addresses some of the concerns people had. Further feedback and criticism appreciated.

EDIT: Saw a minor change I needed to make.

Spoiler!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Original Post:
    Spoiler!
    Last edited by Anduril; Mar 5, 2016 at 09:51 PM.

I like what I read, but can't tell if it is from a first person or 3rd person or something similar to that one game on steam that I can't the name for my life (the one that narrates your actions).

-However, what I felt that I had to point was a lack of introduction on setting/location/plot/etc. in the first paragraph. But the followup helped.

-I also find it very awkward reading a lot "You"s.
    -Feels like a dairy or recall events, but awkward because of the amount "You"s.

-Latter half (where it starts to mention Charlotte) needs a proper transition from upper half because what I simply read was Ophelia waking you up and suddenly Charlotte, etc. is mention with no further mention of Ophelia which leads to me thinking this part is in the "past?".
    Last edited by strikerhunter; Mar 5, 2016 at 12:55 AM.

Ah yeah, more writers. Coming out with that second person point of view.

When I first started reading it, I kind of expected it to turn into a choose your own adventure chapter, since those kinds of stories love the second person narrations. The way it turned out was cool too though. I like how you separated the story by what you wanted the reader to know; Intro, Character, The Why/Connection, The Conclusion. The ending is also pretty neat, but I wonder if it was neat because I play the game and get the hint/reference. Overall, the story is pretty unique.

That was a cute story. It feels like it was merely an introduction for something more, but I'm greedy.
    http://www.pso-world.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic25144_2.gif
    It's either real or it's a dream. There's nothing that is in between.

I'm a sucker for second person stories. Was quite interesting, I'd just suggest a second review for grammar. Interested to see if there is more.

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

Welp, everyone already said what I was going to say. The second person view makes for a unique feeling. Certainly much more personable than what I'm used to reading. I prefer being more detached from my characters, but this format made it easier and less awkward to introduce the character and get a feel for his personality and emotions.

I kinda like the format you used for your background. The sudden introduction made us as confused and disoriented as the protagonist, and the sudden flashbacks allowed us to get more comfortable with the situation around the same time the protagonist would. I think that worked pretty well, though it would probably have worked better in a longer piece.

Thank you all for the feedback. Response time.

@yoshiblue: Reading "Until Gwen" gave me that same impression at first, and that was really the catalyst for this story. I wanted to see if I could write something using that style and have it make sense; it was actually a bit more challenging than I expected. As to the allusion thrown in there near the end, I do imagine it would fall flat with someone who has not played the game, but it served as a focal point for me as I wrote.

@fighgunners: Yeah, this was a single draft I wrote in a couple of hours; I definitely saw some awkward phrasing and misplaced punctuation when I read it over after I had posted. Like I said, it's been a long time since I've tried any creative writing (well over a decade at this point), so it was one of those things where I thought, "If I don't post this now, I'll lose my nerve." I'll most likely give it a couple more passes to fine-tune it.

@PhotonDrop & fighgunners: For now, I'm probably going to keep this as a one-off thing.

@Zorafim: Yeah, the style does actually lend quite well to longer stories, but my intention with moving back and forth was to allow for the passage of time between "present" scenes without having to directly address it. Basically, it was a bit of a cover for not being good with transitions.

@strikerhunter: As the others have mentioned, it is a second person perspective, most popularly used in the "choose your own adventure" format. Speaking to the structure, as someone who has spent the greater part of their life studying various forms of literature and theater, I have a natural fondness for works that start in media res, but I see how it can seem confusing. The basic chronology of the piece is present, past, present, past, present, and there are only two characters: Charlotte and Ophelia (aka "You"), who Charlotte nicknamed Snowy. Some of the awkward phrasing I mentioned includes the line where we first receive Ophelia's name, so I'll try to make that clearer when I get to the revisions.
    Last edited by Anduril; Mar 4, 2016 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
    @strikerhunter: As the others have mentioned, it is a second person perspective, most popularly used in the "choose your own adventure" format. Speaking to the structure, as someone who has spent the greater part of their life studying various forms of literature and theater, I have a natural fondness for works that start in media res, but I see how it can seem confusing. The basic chronology of the piece is present, past, present, past, present, and there are only two characters: Charlotte and Ophelia (aka "You"), who Charlotte nicknamed Snowy. Some of the awkward phrasing I mentioned includes the line where we first receive Ophelia's name, so I'll try to make that clearer when I get to the revisions.
    Yea it took about 3 or 4 times rereading to fully understand it was a 2nd person (because I'm a total sucker for 3rd and 1st POVs). With that taking in, I still say it was a interesting read because you did the confusion good as mentioned by others above. It was the type of confusion that makes you wonder what's happening instead of the "huh?".

I await to see more.
    Last edited by strikerhunter; Mar 5, 2016 at 12:56 AM.

Ah; a shame. Well, I still look forward to more of your work if you decide to create and upload it.

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

I suck at transitions too. I used to limit my stories to one scene to cover that (said scene being anywhere between 200-2000 words), but I think I'm starting to get better at ending one scene and moving to another. Maybe?