Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default Ripping 3d models

Long story short I am attempting to essentially rip a full model of my character out of the game but have been unsuccessful so far. Out of the tools I have already tried; Ninjaripper, 3D Ripper DX, 3DVia Printscreen, and now Intel GPA; None have worked. At best I could get Intel GPA to launch the game for me but none of the functions worked when running.

I am curious if anyone has given this a go before. Anyone had any successes or advice? I'm at a loss right now. Even the slightest bit of direction would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

I imagine any ripping involved would require the character creator data you save, having that load in some program, and rip from there.

Quote Originally Posted by untrustful View Post
    I imagine any ripping involved would require the character creator data you save, having that load in some program, and rip from there.
    Er... unless that program was made to very specifically assemble that, no. And trust me, that would be a heck of a process simply due to the sheer amount of crap there is in this game. You'd absolutely have to have access to the game's install directory.

Anywaysssssssss, Ninja Ripper used to work nicely, but that was before they removed the command line main executable launch. I haven't found anything since that can really do it unless you have a 32 bit system and go into global monitoring mode on 3D Ripper DX. Even then, it'll crash after like 30 seconds to a minute so yeah.

Problem with file extraction is the character is split into tons of potential parts which may or may not rip with the tools we have available and you'd have to scale properly anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowth117 View Post
    Problem with file extraction is the character is split into tons of potential parts which may or may not rip with the tools we have available and you'd have to scale properly anyways.
    As for file extraction i can shed a bit of light, honestly it's too much work, i haven't checked layered wear but until now in es (and afaik big pso2 too) characters were basically head model +hair model +1 body-clothes model + combined texture magic (skin color for example is applied in real time using a mask).

On top of that you would need to apply the shape keys correctly to make it look like your character, and i don't think we got info on how they internally work to translate the sliders to them. (The es models come without them, i haven't checked much the desktop game model rips).

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowth117 View Post
    Er... unless that program was made to very specifically assemble that, no. And trust me, that would be a heck of a process simply due to the sheer amount of crap there is in this game. You'd absolutely have to have access to the game's install directory.

Anywaysssssssss, Ninja Ripper used to work nicely, but that was before they removed the command line main executable launch. I haven't found anything since that can really do it unless you have a 32 bit system and go into global monitoring mode on 3D Ripper DX. Even then, it'll crash after like 30 seconds to a minute so yeah.

Yeah. I've been doing as much research as I can on this but have come up pretty empty on the PSO2 side. It does look like Gameguard may unfortunately be a sizable roadblock for this as well. And extracting from the game files is definitely out for the reasons already mentioned.

The 32 bit comment does intrigue me though. Maybe I can set up a VM for some attempts. Even if it is slow as molasses, if I can get to the character select screen long enough to capture my character's model there I'd be a happy camper.

My intent is to try and get a 3d printed figure of my character if I can. I do understand even if I can get it ripped from the game it will need some tweaking in something like blender or 3DS Max to make it 'printable' but those are peanuts compared to trying to get the initial rip accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by cr08 View Post
    The 32 bit comment does intrigue me though. Maybe I can set up a VM for some attempts. Even if it is slow as molasses, if I can get to the character select screen long enough to capture my character's model there I'd be a happy camper.
    VMware Player's SVGA 3D should have the speed need to play 3D games with a little overhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Alam View Post
    VMware Player's SVGA 3D should have the speed need to play 3D games with a little overhead.
    I've been playing pso2 in a parallels vm for years at medium settings

You're probably better off making your own 3d model of your character.

It's a process I'm somewhat familiar with but my method is sloppy. There is a program that will rip the models out, but it has some annoying caveats. Here's some evidence (a very old shot now..): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=68294475 As you may see, the model has issues... It also lacks shaders that are present in PSO2 mostly because I have no idea what I'm doing with textures. Like I said, it's sloppy but it is possible.

Try something called 3D Ripper DX. It exports frames as both .3dr files and .OBJ files. The problem is I'm not sure if anything but 3DS Max can open 3DR files and the UVmaps get distorted in the process. There is a script to fix this made by some russians, but I don't remember the exact name of it. Note: For obvious reasons, only use it on the creation demo NOT the main PSO2 client. Gameguard will hate you if you try it.

Caveats include:
    - FoV issues.
    - Distorted UVs (as mentioned)
    - Meshes may be missing parts or normals may be busted
    - For PSO2 character ripping specifically, eyelashes are completely lost. This is similar to the issue with PSU characters where 3DX couldn't rip line shields.
    - Smoothing may get busted
    - Some textures may not get extracted properly or at all

Note that this process is only really necessary for the head currently, as its the easiest way to obtain the head model with the effect of the shape sliders intact. When doing research for my NPC cloning tool, I did notice that their models appear to use bone transforms to facilitate customization, so eventually something may be possible there.. Not anytime soon, though, I can't do the maths yet.

Anyway I'm kinda tired right now or I'd go into greater detail. I may make a post over at psumods going into greater detail once I've finished writing up the other thing I'm working on. It's a process I kinda wanted to do myself for getting PSO2 NPCs into other games as mods, so I want to make a post there sharing what I know and kind of reaching out into the ether for people who are much better than me at this stuff to maybe share some of their wisdom...
    Last edited by Raujinn; Mar 25, 2016 at 06:18 PM.

Oo a refreshing post.

I plan on modeling a 3d version of my character

Then have it 3d printed.
    Graphics Designer/Product Designer/Illustrator/General handy guy/not taking any requests right now.