Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

It was fun during the first week when people were failing
    Not anymore now that you get 100 cubes every run without even a chance of anything interesting, and the biggest danger when fighting the boss is lagging through the platforms.
    I haven't played after the change but managing your inventory for 100 weapons and turning in those cubes became so much of a hassle after the 100th run that I just ended up not even bothering with the boss solely because of that.

Yeah, like I said before, when it first came out, it was like, "holy shit we have to stop Magatsu!"
    Now it's pretty much "holy shit people suck I won't get my 100 cubes!"

Doesn't help that SEGA only adds something like Magatsu once a year.
    After people beat it a few times, of course they're not really going to care about doing it again except for rewards.
    That's why they really need to add more fresh, unique experiences.

Magatsu is disappointing because it's barely more than a motionless wooden doll that you smack for a while until it dies. Like if Magatsu had _no attacks at all_ it would be almost no different an encounter. The lag-warping and wonky collisions only make a boring fight frustrating.

Like I seriously can't believe most of the responses in here are "it was fun when people failed". Are you serious? The difference between beating Magatsu and failing it are "hit near motionless punching bag for 15 minutes" or "hit near motionless punching bag for less than 15 minutes" (was it 15 minutes to fail? I don't know, its been a long time since I've seen a failed run). The most challenge there was in Magatsu is "work out the bits to break". That was basically it.

The reason it was disappointing was it was a major failure in game design. Magatsu has all the components of an interesting raid fight that just don't quite come together well enough. I'm not experienced enough in game critique to pin down the exact reasons as to why, but I reckon if they had spent a little more time on it people would be remembering it fondly beyond "IT GAVE MORE CUBES WHEN THEY DIDNT LIMIT IT!!".

e: To clarify, yeah I get that the chance to fail adds some spice to the encounter. Right now as things are failing the quest isn't even a thing, making victories against an already dull encounter devoid of meaning. I still argue that that's not the chief reason that Magatsu was a disappointment however.
    Last edited by Raujinn; Apr 27, 2016 at 02:49 PM.

I'm reading all the responses here and a lot of them are solid reasons why Magatsu is a testament to show that Sega's developers are inept at designing fun and balanced quests, but of all the responses I can't understand are the ones that love the possibility of a quest failing.

Do people really enjoy the possibility of being able to lose that much? Losing a quest in this game is stupidly punishing. I get absolutely no enjoyment out of having my 30 minute schedule quests at the early hours of the morning and late hours of the night when I could be sleeping utterly failing because some jackoffs aren't decently geared or play like idiots. At the time of writing this, I have 10 13*s I'm currently working on, the amount of cubes I'd need to safely max them out is ridiculous. EQs are the only way of getting all those cubes, I couldn't care less if a quest can fail or not in this game, it's not like I can get another shot at quests for the full reward (Magatsu and TDs) until it's too late. It's really not like say, GW2 where if I fail a raid you just lose the time you spent and can try again to perfect a strategy, no, you fail in PSO2, you lose the time you spent and worst case, you don't get to try again, leaving you with nothing until SEGA decides when you get to try again, which could be days.

While I understand completely that game isn't a game if you can't lose at all, I don't exactly see why a quest is bad (or more appropriately, disappointing ITT) just cause you can't lose to it anymore. Like, when Profound Darkness came out, some people bitched how you couldn't lose and I could only think, "Wow, so what?", it's not a bad quest, at least not the Profound Darkness half cause fighting Double is a shitshow for anybody but Forces. The quest was just made as a fun grand finale spectacle, and in my opinion it succeeded in doing that, it really felt epic as far as PSO2 quests go. Yeah, it could've been done without the Arks Boost and Double shouldn't have been absolutely horrible to fight as a melee player, but I liked it for what it was.

Maybe instead of having issues with if a quest can fail or not, maybe have more of an issue if quests have interesting fights that aren't biased towards having Forces flooding the MPA, better mob behaviors, giving bosses a wider array of attacks, mechanics, and Weak Bullet jammer so they aren't so trivial to fight and die in minutes.

Anyway, I went off on a tangent. People probably don't like Magatsu from what I understand is maybe because:

1. He caused a lot of unjust bans due to people killing him too fast or some bullshit.

2. He was the start of the current slew of scheduled only EQ content.

3. He's a laggy clipping asshole.

4. He's a boring DPS check sandbag (I personally have fun fighting him as Gu/Ra though).

5. He's the only boss in which a certain class is required to be present to be finished in a timely matter for the maximum reward of 100 cubes.

6. He's the cause of a mentality shift from playing EQs regardless of cube gain to only playing certain handful quests that only gave a lot (honestly this was probably gonna happen regardless, Magatsu probably just sped up this shift tenfold).

Those are probably all the big ones.
    Last edited by Shadowstarkirby; Apr 27, 2016 at 06:37 PM.
    Spoiler!

[Ship 02]
    ID: Shadowstarkirby
    Character: Dial
    Classes: Hr, Fi/Hu, Hu/Fi, Br/Hu, Bo/Hu, Ra/Hu, Gu/Hu, Te/Fi, Su/Fi, Fo/Te

For me, its because I already have ~1k cubes stored away and it is pretty much just a cube run for me. There aren't any 13* drops that I can have false hope for and the stones are mildly useless to me. I personally think its time they took certain EQs like Magatsu off the scheduled "only" list and let them occur randomly. Certain scheduled EQs that are more worth doing don't happen enough IMO.

Anga and Magatsu are best girls. anyone who says otherwise is playing pso2 wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kril View Post
    No one wants to see your Space Whale of a character doing Rodeo Drive.