Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: PSO2 vs PSO

Quote Originally Posted by otakun View Post
    massive multiplayer only refers to a lot of people playing at one time. nothing in mmorpg says interacting with everyone in the server at anytime. if you need the differences between shooter match making and an mmorpg hub lobby explained then you need to play more online games.
    Are you a leading Authority on MMORPGs? The answer is No... as you are not even a developer. Where do you truly define what an MMORPG is? I've played them and competed in them. I am an MMORPG Gamer...and I don't act like a leading authority on them because I am not a developer.

Anet declared GW1 as a CORPG, and then players in their stupidity compared it to MMORPG. SEGA calls PSO-2 an "Online RPG" and players compare it MMORPG. Simply put...players are the ones who expect demands to reach to the preferred genre of their choice without acknowledging the declared developer's Genre.

Do not dare to compare 12 people in EQs that don't give you beyond a single major objective per map...

to

Having to guide and lead over 100 players in zone-wide events, each player either alone or in parties... while simultaneously fighting world bosses and coordinating efforts through my 100-slot TeamSpeak Server. There are times where there are more monsters on-screen than players.

..and seriously,

Unlike PSO-2 where one sneezes on a monster and it dies, while in the games I play.. the monsters are at the same level of the characters and if not careful, a single veteran to legendary mob can finish an entire party....

yeah, sometimes in PSO-2 we see maybe 3 - 5 people dead on the floor.....while its common to see 40 - 50+ people dead on the floor when we fail in MMORPGs.
    PSO-2 Info: Ship: 2; ID: セツナヤキ; MCN: ケイリン
    "If you want a bridge between past, present, and future, search for the void and awaken it!"

lol I have wanted to play some of those true mmos for that experience but haven't found any that really stood out to me, I played Eve for awhile and it was really fun for the reason that anyone at any time could ambush you.
    The above statement is my own personal opinion and is not meant to offend, insult, or belittle the recipient. Thank you for understanding

Massively multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPGs) are a combination of role-playing video games and massively multiplayer online games in which a very large number of players interact with one another within a perpetual game world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massiv...e-playing_game

ayy lmao

Thanks razor for chiming in
    The above statement is my own personal opinion and is not meant to offend, insult, or belittle the recipient. Thank you for understanding

Quote Originally Posted by Shinnomura View Post
    lol I have wanted to play some of those true mmos for that experience but haven't found any that really stood out to me, I played Eve for awhile and it was really fun for the reason that anyone at any time could ambush you.
    Lately what has been going on in MMOs is that some of these games have become more casual, but because its easier to get equipment for highest-level content; more and more players in MMORPGs are finding out that there is a lesser grind for equipment, but a heavier grind for mastering some of the encounters, events, and coordination...

The last thing I did in an MMORPG was defend an area with 50+ players....and we almost lost until we realized the enemy that were left were melee enemies and we made a choke point in two passages while positioning our tanks in front and ranged players behind them.. healers and siege equipment in the middle to win...

This was of course PvP.

The commander of the enemy force whispered me to say that he felt bored to death and now is having fun again that his force lost...I told him that fate would have one of us lose our heads tonight....but when I lose mine, I will ask to go to the same hell in order to spend some time together...

I guess the reason I love PvP is because entertainment in PvP is defined by what humans provide for each other... not computer-controlled enemies...

Example: if you have 100 players and I have 100 players...and we are both in an empty map that is a PvP map. The existence of each opposing group of players is the reason we have a game tonight. It means you are depending on my 100 putting up a good fight to make things interesting as much as I am depending on your 100 to give me the fight of my life... ...

This means when you attack my fortress, your event panel is going to read "Assault the fortress" while my panel is going to read "Defend the Fortress." Almost everything that happens for the next 2, 4, 6 and maybe 8 hours will be determined by the actions both of our groups take.

There is a heavy subculture behind PvP that I've always loved. ^_^
    A lot of people love this subculture which is why they look for MMORPGs that have PvP in it.
    "If you want a bridge between past, present, and future, search for the void and awaken it!"

Are there many mmos that allow for more indepth combat like blocking dodging and being able to slowly take down the "better equipped" enemy through skill and strategy? That's how I like to play but most games I've seen are just "overpowered force hits underpowered force for unsurvivable damage"

Psychotic Asian Goth Girl [Ayumi]'s Avatar

Thinking on it, I think there was only 2 MMORPGS I liked (okay, one I liked and the other I tolerated).
    Dragon Ball Online and FFXI.
    I did like Dragon Ball Online (despite not knowing the language at all that it was in. I heard it's Mandarin that they speak in Taiwan?). Was somewhat fun to play.

FFXI I tolerated. While I liked the atmosphere, the music, and the areas... I loathed the gameplay and as Keylyn mentioned about being careful and maybe dying/leveling down or even waiting forever to get a party just to fight a few monsters and call it a night because even though they might be a few levels above you or even below you... they're ...ugh.
    I tolerated FFXI because I couldn't play PSOBB (was on dial up) and was waiting for PSU as it wasn't out but it was at least revealed a year or so before it was out.
    So... I stuck with FFXI with everyone on there when I said I will be leaving then PSU come out.
    "You'll be back. They're always coming back."
    I never went back.

I enjoyed maple story when it first came out because it was challenging and you could fight things well above your level of you could dodge around and take your time, it's how I leveled so fast in it.
    Also liked la tale which is similar but in my opinion a lot better than even original maple story. The other two were shin megami tensei imagine and mabinogi, which are the same sort of game focused more on your character's skills than level, your skills level up through usage instead of a normal point system and both games are really challenging solo so I had a lot of fun. Other than that all other mmos felt disappointing
    Last edited by Shinnomura; May 21, 2016 at 12:25 AM.

There are games like that,
    but it would mean enemies actually being in-depth too.

If all enemies have is one attack and no special moves, it means nothing....
    One attack = once you find a way to beat that, there is no real strategy to winning.

and yes... there are ways of beating better equipped players with strategy. It happens a lot in Objective-Based PvP games where a player can have the best equipment in the game and simply die to the fact that the map environment is the worse for the character...

Example: Ranged Characters should not be fighting in open fields, they should be behind walls where their range gives them the most advantage...and higher ground helps. However, a map that is completely open field and has almost no cover for the players means a ranged class is initiatially at a disadvantage regardless the equipment.

Open Fields are also a disadvantage to a spellcaster. While they have AoE nuking abilities, they also have limited AoEs and its easy to actually get out of the AoE circle. AoE only hits GOOD players if they are caught off guard, or the players are taking the AoE damage as risk to another objective.

The exception to RANGED Classes or Spellcasters in Open Fields is if they are Protected by someone who is in the front line..

For Strategy to exist, there has to be good Class Design, Good Map Design, Good Creature/Enemy Design as well....the META has to focus about the internal operations of the class itself....

Well I'm glad games like that exist I'll probably get on a few later and see if I can find one that has gameplay similar to what I want.