Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 61314151617 LastLast

Let us use any weapon as a weapon camo. LIke... holy shit SEGA, that's not fucking hard to do.

"Of their own accord" Enforcer MKV's Avatar
    Somewhere, being an old man again, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by TaigaUC View Post
    I watched a video a while ago of a guy talking about how once a game makes a mechanic that works, tons of other games copy it.
    As a result, all those games that use the same mechanic end up feeling like each other.
    Well, I guess it's good that experienced gamers will recognize the controls and jump into the game faster.
    But the game ends up feeling more generic overall.

People often don't think about how they can improve or change stuff that's been done before. They just copy it as is.
    I think part of it is because almost nobody wants to take risks or bother fine-tuning gameplay anymore.
    They're either mimicking stuff for whatever reason, or they're lazy. Easy to copy stuff that's been proven to work.

When I was studying game design, people would just suggest stuff they'd already seen done elsewhere.
    Both mechanics and concepts. Then they tried to merge them all and it was just a mess.
    I tried to advise them otherwise, but they didn't want to listen to me because zombies + story = everything, apparently.
    I can't help but think it's very amateur and naive to just grab what's popular and mix it together.
    They also don't realize that good game design requires that design elements have good synergy.

A friend who worked in an MMO game company in Korea told me a similar story.
    He said their brainstorming was always "[popular game] does this, let's do that too".
    Funny, I recall one of my lecturers said that when writing a design doc, do not describe stuff by saying it's "like xxx other game".
    It's unfortunate, but that's the general state of game development, at least in a large portion of the triple A market. Making shareholders happy, making money. It's not about the love of the game anymore, it's a business. Taking things from other products in and of itself isn't the most grievous offense, of course, but most aren't willing to even try to expand on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokurokoki View Post
    Let us use any weapon as a weapon camo. LIke... holy shit SEGA, that's not fucking hard to do.
    It's Sega, it is for them.
    Enforcer MkX [TE/RA]: Critically injured
    Violet MkV [BR/HU]: On active duty

Quote Originally Posted by Enforcer MKV View Post
    It's Sega, it is for them.
    Meanwhile we get a gigantic yamato and zero fighters... and an Emperappy.

#SEGA Logic

Yeah gaming industry is pure profit and no longer about making a good game anymore sadly.

Yeah. Sad times.

When I look over games for PS4, searching for something of interest, it's a really huge contrast compared to SNES, PS1, PS2 etc.
    There used to be tons of new IPs just messing around and experimenting with ideas and stuff.
    Now it's almost entirely HD remakes, sequels or popular genres like FPS.
    Last edited by TaigaUC; Jun 26, 2016 at 05:55 AM.

@TaigaUC
    What you speak of has existed since Mass Production of Synthetic Goods came into being, and there are far darker stories out there in industries outside of video games.
    PSO-2 Info: Ship: 2; ID: セツナヤキ; MCN: ケイリン
    "If you want a bridge between past, present, and future, search for the void and awaken it!"

Once the industry started giving games budgets comparable to movies, publishers stopped wanting to take more risks than necessary.

The most 'different', or endearing experiences are more likely to come from indies, and small niche studios. Undertale, and freedom planet come to mind.
    Last edited by Maninbluejumpsuit; Jun 26, 2016 at 10:00 AM.

Shigure ship 2. Credit to agarwood for the picture!

Quote Originally Posted by Keilyn View Post
    @TaigaUC
    What you speak of has existed since Mass Production of Synthetic Goods came into being, and there are far darker stories out there in industries outside of video games.
    I knew it ! [Profound Darkness] is behind all of this !
    Quote Originally Posted by GHNeko View Post
    oh boy cant wait for this class to be op on release and for everyone and their mom to run only this class for a week and failing all the EQs.

What do I want from this game? Simple -

I want them to nix all the nonsensical grindfest trade-in bullshit and just get back to plain ol' Phantasy Star gameplay. Like, that's it. No more random, weeaboo, Saturday-morning-cartoon insanity garbage like they've been pumping out. Just some cool, sensible stories, area, and enemies that keep in tune with the Phantasy Star we actually know and love, not this. That is disgusting.

How anyone can think the path SEGA's chosen for PSO2 is fine and dandy totally and utterly befuddles me. Y'all are nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Poyonche View Post
    I knew it ! [Profound Darkness] is behind all of this !
    .......So [Profound Darkness] is secretly manipulating SEGA so that ARKS will dwindle in number and indirectly let [Profound Darkness] destroy the ARKS universe?

Jokes aside, while SEGA revisiting crafting system again with new tech crafts some weeks ago might be a good sign of SEGA started to see the importance of revisiting old, buried system existed in PSO2; I'm afraid that 'SEGA make new system to bury their failed old system' would still be a trend.
    Last edited by Zeroem; Jun 26, 2016 at 10:56 AM.
    *editing post intensifies. Please wait around 5 to 10 minutes before quot-actually, just be wary that I edit my post often.
    .......Mostly because minor things like grammar and mis-spellings*

Quote Originally Posted by Kenichiro Takaki
    "Tits are life, ass is hometown"