Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Article: 1UP Thinks Sega Needs Saving - Here's How They Would Do It

Gaming site 1UP has a new feature titled, "If We Ran the Industry"; a collective editorial in which they discuss how they would handle things if they were the ones in charge. For their first piece, they've outlined how they would save Sega from its slow, painful, impending doom (dramatization added).

Their first suggestion? Make use of the many existing franchises that have worked in the past. While Sega has attempted to do this to some extent, the results have not been so great. Bad Sonic ports and Golden Axe: Beast Rider, which received a D rating by 1UP, are used as supporting examples.

"Sega's been smart to stay away from making new consoles, but they just don't do their long-standing series justice," says 1UP Reviews Editor Justin Haywald.

The article points out that even when Sega does something right, they just aren't getting the recognition and fans. There is certainly some validity there, as Sega has appeared to increase its frequency of releasing what most gamers would consider quality titles. 1UP contributes this lack of buzz to how Sega has treated its franchises and fans in recent years.

"There's no reason Phantasy Star couldn't have evolved just like Final Fantasy, Shinobi just like Ninja Gaiden, or Sonic the Hedgehog just like Mario," says 1UP Editor Sam Kennedy.

While the Phantasy Star series has made some of these evolutionary jumps, particularly with PSO and PSU, there is still a lot of potential there. Evolution, or even revival, of classic franchises is a common request from Sega fans. However, the fans also want a quality gaming experience when they are reliving this nostalgia and that is where Sega has fallen short in the past, tainting these franchises and disappointing fans in the process.

Some 1UP suggestions were to hand off development of these franchises to up and coming development studios consisting of people who grew up playing them, or to simply take the time necessary to properly develop a quality game. Easier said than done in today's industry, I'm sure, but good suggestions nonetheless. One contributor to the article thought that Sega's recent restructuring and shift towards digital distribution may have put the company on the right path, while another thought they should dive back into the console market.

Overall, it's an interesting three-page read of many different ideas and suggestions, all of which are geared towards restoring Sega to its former glory. Check out the full article and tell us which parts you agree or disagree with!

Default I agree with what 1UP said

I agree with what 1UP said about Sega "evolving their franchises". There's no reason that Phantasy Star can't look and feel as good as Final Fantasy (graphics-wise, at least).

Default I wouldn't want Phantasy

I wouldn't want Phantasy Star to be like final fantasy. I hate the way final fantasy is in almost every way. But I guess the popularity would be nice.
    The world isn't as it should be...
    <->Working on a new Sig for my Reborn Character, will be done when I don't have class work overload<->
    PSO2 - ニューマン - 女性 - スピリット - Ship2:ウリ

Default It doesn't say that Phantasy

It doesn't say that Phantasy Star should evolve in to Final Fantasy, it says it could evolve like Final Fantasy.

Default And by that they likely mean

And by that they likely mean that it could have continued on and had many more successful games. For example: right now, if you ask a random gamer if they know about Final Fantasy they will most likely say yes. Ask a random gamer if they know about Phantasy Star and you won't get nearly as many positive answers... especially among younger generations. (And if they've heard of it, it's from PSU and they now hate the series. Seriously, I've seen it happen. I'm in high school and I only know one other person who likes the Phantasy Star series.)

Default I've been saying that for a

I've been saying that for a while (no one knows about Phantasy Star, that is). Phantasy Star has a very "underground" fanbase, and I think that's a sin considering how good the franchise is as a whole. I really wish Sega would step it up a notch and make Phantasy Star their headline franchise, and put Sonic the Hedgehog on the back burner for the near future, at least (not that I don't like Sonic, but I'm convinced that Phantasy Star has the most potential at the moment).

Default I was looking at PS's

I was looking at PS's history. It was the SEGA version of FF with the same gameplay, character designs, map designs, weapons, ect. If given the starting popularity of FF, PS could have easily kept those features. Besides that though I would quite like to see PS gain it's popularity at this time as the games are of a higher quality (believe it or not). If your like me you miss how games use to be like in the Action RPG area (PSU represents these well) and SEGA is the only one even offering a newer game with these qualitys maintained. *sorry for the length*
    The world isn't as it should be...
    <->Working on a new Sig for my Reborn Character, will be done when I don't have class work overload<->
    PSO2 - ニューマン - 女性 - スピリット - Ship2:ウリ

Default lets not get carried away;

lets not get carried away; PS is a totally different franchise. There is actually very little in comparison. I respect ff seven, but would rather spend an eternity running white beast than ever touching a ff game again.
    -LadyDatura

Default This

"1UP contributes this lack of buzz to how Sega has treated its franchises and fans in recent years." 1UP
    That basically explains it all how Segac treats its EU/NA Fans is a fucking joke. And most of the fans just sit there and take it like it is no big deal. How is anything going to change if people put up with segas fuck NA/EU attitude. Nothing is going to change simple as that...

Default It's utterly mindblowing how

It's utterly mindblowing how sega can create an amazing ew IP like Valkyria then immediately destroy it and its fabase with a sequel that has recieved very mixed views.
    Sega have the IPs to be one of the best developers, but they'e doing very stupid things, or nothing with them. I just hope they get the next Phantasy Star right, as I've given up hope on:
    - a Shining Force that doesnt suck
    - a Skies of arcadia sequel
    - a new Dragon Force
    and a million others